HMS Speedy by ErnieL - Vanguard Models - 1/64

39 minutes ago, glbarlow said:

Have you turned this battle ship into a freight hauler...?

Hahaha.  She’s hauling quite the load, but notice the skill involved in spreading the load evenly over the deck...

On the bench:  Vanguard Models 1/64 HMS Speedy

On Deck:

Vanguard Models 1/64 Zulu,

Vanguard Models 1/64 Fifie,

Victory Models 1/72 HMS Bellerophon 

36 minutes ago, James H said:

Planked yet?

So the darker planking strips are the pear for the second planking?

On Deck:

Does anyone else around here like sexy curves?

Epoxy bottle meet stern counter.

It went for a swim in some almost boiling water, then joined with the bottle for a few hours, and..... POOF!

Instant sexy curves.

B4AE1EE2-3182-4E7E-B1D0-44F7BE2149B3.jpeg

596BF656-F404-4394-83D2-CF52F506BF3D.jpeg

17A4C0F2-9475-4824-A82D-16F0BE3A1913.jpeg

Edited by ErnieL

On Deck:

So as of this moment, requisition forms are being prepared (in triplicate) to press into service a hot plate and pot for use in plank prep.

These forms will be submitted to the War Department ASAP.

On Deck:

Before you start boiling wood check out Chuck Passaro’s method of plank bending.  I used it on my last model and it changed everything in how the planks fit to the hull. It’s worth the time to learn and much easier in the long run  

Regards,

Glenn

Current Build: HMS Winchelsea
Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose

Yep, I’m getting close as well. Gunports are next, so after that, first planking and we’ll try Chuck’s method first. 

What could possibly go wrong?

I think I’m handy enough with CA, but one thing I’m loving do far is how weed and wood glue slow you down, make you enjoy what’s actually happening before your eyes.   When I rush it I make stupid mistakes. Like putting bulkheads in backwards. 

I’m going to try both methods so we’ll see. 

On Deck:

8 hours ago, SpyGlass said:

manage to "bend and stick" at the same time

You aren’t familiar with the method. You don’t do both at the same time and when you have bent the plank right it does in fact fully fit. I did your way for a long time, this way works soooo much better for me. But then I’m very comfortable and have always used CA on planks. I don’t have time or patience to watch glue dry a plank at a time. 

But like you said waste wood trying new things and learning what works best for to get to a finished planking.

It is true it’s not for gunport patterns, and there are different ways to do that too. I described my method in another Speedy log, though with Speedy it’s an easier bend than some. 

Lots of ways to do things, no one should inflict theirs on someone else, I’m just passing in what I think is a great technique for me.  

Edited by glbarlow

Regards,

Glenn

Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose

2 hours ago, ErnieL said:

going to try both methods

Do both at the same time, maybe you’ll invent something new😂🤣

Regards,

Glenn

2 hours ago, glbarlow said:

Do both at the same time, maybe you’ll invent something new😂🤣

New cuss words maybe. 😂😇

Edited by ErnieL

On Deck:

Daily update.  The hull frames seems decently faired, the stern counters look decent enough, and the inner prow is on, so, this is where the rubber meets the road, next come the gunport patterns.

Yay.

Going forward, this will be new skills to be developed.  Building R/C planes and boats gives you plenty of framing experience, but making flat wood curve and bend is gonna be fun.

Onward and upward

On Deck:

2 hours ago, clearway said:

now that i would have loved to see- proper mad scientist moment 🤪

😂🤣

On Deck:

18 hours ago, clearway said:

now that i would have loved to see- proper mad scientist moment 🤪

😂🤣

On Deck:

Guys, bring it on, seriously.  I’m soaking it up. My modeling expertness lies in other realms, but wood is still a medium to use, and once mastered, it’s another tool in the belt

On Deck:

I’m gonna look at Chuck’s method of ironing the wood.  I haven’t touched an iron since I took my discharge 25 years back....

On Deck:

I approach planking with complete trepidation. I’m not even close to being in my wheelhouse here, but we’ll go slow and easy and try not have a cock up on anything. 
So first, I soaked the port side forward gunport pattern in very hot water for 30 minutes, then pinned and clamped it in general position on the hull. I’ll let this dry overnight and check it tomorrow. If it appears close,, I’ll finish applying it and move to the starboard side forward piece. 
Right now, I’m a bundle of nerves. 
The lower edges aren’t as smooth as I’d like, but we’ll look closer at that tomorrow. 

F436E852-46C5-4C36-BF12-88CB22291B25.jpeg

E3243731-0C62-47EC-A5B9-EEC83B38FEC0.jpeg

D50A2298-C332-4D56-868B-D4CED174C835.jpeg

On Deck:

You'll want to close that gap at the bottom before adding a plank. I cut the shape of the bow from a scrap piece of wood using the plans as a template. I can put the soaked wood on it and clamp the heck out of it so its a tight fit. If you keep going from here make sure to get clamps down at the bottom to get it tight on the frame.

The first rule of modeling is when you think you have enough clamps, go buy more clamps.

You're having fun now....

Regards,

Glenn

Yep. I need clamps that have a big enough throat to reach around and down far enough. Most of my tools are aircraft and plastic model tools.

On Deck:

1 hour ago, ErnieL said:

Yep. I need clamps that have a big enough throat to reach around and down far enough. Most of my tools are aircraft and plastic model tools.

What sort of clamps would that be ?

I have a bunch of clamps that you've shown in your photos. Would someone have pictures of the bigger clamps ?

I too have a great deal of trepidation about planking. Was going to order the Speedy, but will hold off and order the Zulu today from Chris.

Richard

Richard

Current build :  Victory cross section / DeAgostini, Lady Eleanor  Vanguard Models 

Other builds :   N scale computer controlled model railroad

15 minutes ago, Suzdal said:

What sort of clamps would that be ?

I have a bunch of clamps that you've shown in your photos. Would someone have pictures of the bigger clamps ?

I too have a great deal of trepidation about planking. Was going to order the Speedy, but will hold off and order the Zulu today from Chris.

Richard

Clamps can easily slip off something this shape, and you don't want to put any stress on the MDF bulkhead ears above the decks. 

I clamped my ply to the ears, and pinned to the lower bulkheads. A little further back, I also used Amati clamps to hold against bulkhead instead of pinning.

7 hours ago, James H said:

I never closed that gap on mine.

First I’ve heard that working.  I’ll quit offering advice then. 

Regards,

Glenn