M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer & Prime Mover by Egilman - Vision/Tamiya - 1/35th Scale FINISHED!

"I can feel a Dio coming on"    as he whistles  gently.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

You can read about the whole D-Day air assault from Midnight 00:01 June 6th to 23:59 June 7th (D-Day +1) here:

USAF HISTORICAL STUDIES: NO. 97: AIRBORNE OPERATIONS IN WORLD WAR II, EUROPEAN THEATER....

A full text PDF file you can read online. (or download) The Second Glider assaults, the "Keokuck" mission supporting the 101st and the "Elmira" mission supporting the 82nd starts on Page 65....

The whole thing is an excellent read....

Current Build: F-86F-30 Sabre by Egilman - Kinetic - 1/32nd scale

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

Terminated Build: F-104C Starfighter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

"Relish Today, Ketchup Tomorrow"

16 minutes ago, Old Collingwood said:

"I can feel a Dio coming on"    as he whistles  gently.

OC.

Unfortunately not from me brother, I just don't have the room for such an undertaking....

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

I knew of the Horsa of course but I thought your comments were pertaining to a small footprint diorama. That would require either the Waco or the HS-58 Horsa II that also used the flip up nose rather than the removable tail.

Of course a "Crash" with broken wings would take up little more space than the Jeep and gun would. 

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

1 minute ago, lmagna said:

I knew of the Horsa of course but I thought your comments were pertaining to a small footprint diorama. That would require either the Waco or the HS-58 Horsa II that also used the flip up nose rather than the removable tail.

Can't use the II cause I've locked the presentation into D-Day, the Horsa Mk II hadn't been built yet.... (and by the time they started using the II they weren't using M1A1 Howitzers anymore, they had upgraded to lightweight  M2 105's) Also I'm specifically locked into the 319th Glider Field Artillery Battalion, they had the M1A1's with Jeeps and were assigned to Horsa's for the D-Day assault... (the 320th GFA had 105's)

In the Keokuck mission (supporting the 101st) they used Wacos for many of the jeeps and howitzers...

There were so many different loading configurations in the supporting missions almost anything you come up with would be authentic...

Quote:

6 minutes ago, Jack12477 said:

There's also "forced perspective" dioramas.........   might not require as big a footprint..... challenging .... 

yeah there's that, but then you have to find a good ground level shot, which is the hard part...

Quote:

I'm sure a little stick and tissue would produce a decent looking nose section...but you are correct that it would be quite large to match the scale of the jeep  ;)    nice looking model combo!  :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

8 minutes ago, popeye the sailor said:

I'm sure a little stick and tissue would produce a decent looking nose section...but you are correct that it would be quite large to match the scale of the jeep  ;)    nice looking model combo!  :) 

Building it wouldn't be the issue my friend... I could probably hack & staple something presentable together.....

Thank you for the compliment Denis.....

Thank you EVERYONE for your comments, even those trying to convince me to do a dio...... {chuckle} 

It's GREATLY appreciated....

EG

Quote:

There was me hoping to see a  Gally  (C5  variety)  with your  jeep coming down the rear ramp😊😜

"I'll  be quiet now  - promise"😁

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

5 minutes ago, Old Collingwood said:

There was me hoping to see a  Gally  (C5  variety)  with your  jeep coming down the rear ramp😊😜

Now that would be something, but it would require at least two feet for the tail height and five feet of length to get the entire tail ramp in 1/35th scale..... (and a wall for it to stick out of)

{chuckle}

Quote:

14 minutes ago, Egilman said:

Now that would be something, but it would require at least two feet for the tail height and five feet of length to get the entire tail ramp in 1/35th scale..... (and a wall for it to stick out of)

{chuckle}

Do that one and the car will have to live in the driveway instead of the garage.  

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

5 minutes ago, mtaylor said:

Do that one and the car will have to live in the driveway instead of the garage.  

And I would have to find another place to live, the Admiral would transfer me out before separating me from the service...

Quote:

11 hours ago, Egilman said:

{chuckle}

Me thinks my brother doth exaggerate a wee bit ;) 

My M16 dio measures 9 inches by 12 inches, the church is 8 inches high, military figures 2 inches high, making the church about 24 feet high (4 times height of figure),  assuming the figure is 6 ft, likewise the Sherman with villa is 12 inches by 12 inches with a villa 24 feet high in 1/35 scale. 

<sigh>  

Update According to Wikipedia, the Horsa glider had the following dimensions

• Wingspan 88 feet
  • Length 67 feet
  • Height 19 feet 6 inches

So in scale height 19 ft 6 inches is about 3.25 times the height of 6 foot scale figure  or 6.5 inches tall. Depicting the "broken" fusalage would require only about 3 or 4 inches in length by about 7 inches in overall height. 

Hmmmm 

<double sigh>

3 hours ago, Jack12477 said:

Me thinks my brother doth exaggerate a wee bit ;) 

My M16 dio measures 9 inches by 12 inches, the church is 8 inches high, military figures 2 inches high, making the church about 24 feet high (4 times height of figure),  assuming the figure is 6 ft, likewise the Sherman with villa is 12 inches by 12 inches with a villa 24 feet high in 1/35 scale. 

<sigh>  

Update According to Wikipedia, the Horsa glider had the following dimensions

• Wingspan 88 feet
  • Length 67 feet
  • Height 19 feet 6 inches

So in scale height 19 ft 6 inches is about 3.25 times the height of 6 foot scale figure  or 6.5 inches tall. Depicting the "broken" fusalage would require only about 3 or 4 inches in length by about 7 inches in overall height. 

Hmmmm 

<double sigh>

<triple sigh>

Different people have different visions I guess.. for me brother, it has to be more than a tube sticking out of one side with the jeep and gun exiting down the ramps....  it could be that simple, but it doesn't tell a complete story to me..... I would need the discarded tail section to add more life, more action..... the tail section is what would require the space... the wingspan as you point out is 88 feet, in 1/35 that measures out to 2.5 feet 30 inches, the horizontal stabilizer is roughly 1/3 of the wingspan that is 10 inches of space needed right there then there is the length of the tail section say another 12 inches there... with the 2 inches of fuselage and 6 inches of ramp?  The base has grown to at least 20 inches long and 14 inches wide right there... of course rearranging the parts could probably compact it down to about 16 by 16, but that is still quite large...

Doth exaggerate? chuckle, Not in my vision.... it's not the height that is at issue length and width.

Now for OC's C-5A down the Galaxy ramp dream? with a tail height of 65 feet?  65 divided by 35 equals 1.857 feet... 

EG

Quote:

Imagine building the whole C5  at 1/35  scale  - that would have a Wopping  6.3 feet  wing span   -  "Hugeeeee"

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

9 minutes ago, Old Collingwood said:

Imagine building the whole C5  at 1/35  scale  - that would have a Wopping  6.3 feet  wing span   -  "Hugeeeee"

OC.

Yeah, my dream, (I've already collected the available kits/information including a full set of the structural and GSE drawings) is a Saturn V, Apollo 10 in 1/72nd scale on it's launcher heading for LC-39B that will be 6 feet from the crawler shoes to the top of the Crane not counting the crawlerway or lightning mast....... (and it's already cleared with the admiralty)

Don't know if I"ll ever get it done, but it is my dream model....

Quote:

Some great kits out there including  1/48 scale  B-1B  Lancer Revell kit,    B-52H  not sure think its a vac form kit,  seriously large kits.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

27 minutes ago, CDW said:

Nice little field artillery/prime mover set. Great build!

Thank you Craig,

I'll have it finished in a bit....

Quote:

On 5/30/2020 at 5:31 PM, lmagna said:

The gliders used in WWII were pretty simple and you shouldn't need the whole thing to do a Diorama as they unloaded from the nose.

In the case of carrying a Jeep, I even wonder if one glider carried both the gun and the jeep.

Would this do for a set of plans?

https://outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=6106

https://outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=6763

Actually those are very nice plans Lou,

Here is their plan for the Airspeed Horsa

Thank you for the link. Excellent source! I'll add it to my link to AeroFred....

AeroFred sends me free plans in my e-mail every few days....

I always love new sources, thank you for sharing...

Quote:

Ok, Time to finish this up....

This is where I last left it... Basic assembly complete.....

DCP_2527.JPG.1d0e4c54d896612fb982899b00183d9d.JPG

And, After adding the necessary mundane equipment that a howitzer needs to operate on the battle field and giving it something to shoot when it get where it going, I wind up with this........

DCP_2529.JPG.9e1b8ce1a2e198cca1d2eb95acc96de3.JPG

DCP_2530.JPG.6d1911b3c6a528434a9eaeffdd3d5b5c.JPG

DCP_2531.JPG.93290d2f77e5f46c92a04ae0da053fe5.JPG

DCP_2532.JPG.2952769587953ed085421a41ea3663fd.JPG

DCP_2533.JPG.c142cdd247ff54f42328fb1af91f7e54.JPG

DCP_2534.JPG.cfde92e90b13cc3639cef6678fac65e2.JPG

DCP_2535.JPG.10c4b258d0ee4e0ef2ca1f406d4b5e59.JPG

DCP_2536.JPG.0bf20c1d60d6a888444628f0425c4d69.JPG

DCP_2537.JPG.76e207fa1ecfcb0c443862e17a09c72d.JPG

DCP_2538.JPG.26b15d55b971a3dead799f1221f4728a.JPG

Well the closeups didn't quite come out as sharp as I would have liked, I still need to get a better camera. (or learn how to actually use it)

Anyway she is off to her next firing position, as soon as the crew shows up.....

I call it finished...

Howzitzer #4, Battery "B" 319th Glider Field Artillery Battalion, 82nd Airborne Division. The evening of June 6th 1944....... two miles northeast of St Mere Eglise, France..... 76 years ago, two days from now....

I hope you all enjoyed the journey.....

EG

Thank you for the discussion, comments and likes....  They are always appreciated.....

Next up, resuming Blue Jay 4..... (assuming the parts arrive in the next day or two)

Quote:

Nice finish ! 

Re camera: Does it have a close-up setting? Usually indicated with a flower ? If so, select it before moving in close.  Also look for a spot focus or center weighted focus setting !  Most of the point and shoot digitals have these settings. 

Looking fine bro,  thats a neat little build  looks the part and nice and busy.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

It came out nice EG. But then I expected no less from you. :D Looks like you would need two or three vehicles per gun just to carry the ammo and crew to operate it.

From what I read in the stuff you posted in the link a few days ago, they spent much of the night and morning after "landing" just trying to locate the planes and gear and dig what they needed out of the wreckage and get it all assembled as a combat effective unit. It is kind of amazing when you think of it, that in just a relatively few years we were doing the same thing only using helicopters to insert in some cases almost entire battalions and they were operational almost immediately upon hitting the ground.

Again, great work.

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

6 hours ago, Jack12477 said:

Nice finish ! 

Re camera: Does it have a close-up setting? Usually indicated with a flower ? If so, select it before moving in close.  Also look for a spot focus or center weighted focus setting !  Most of the point and shoot digitals have these settings. 

Thank you Jack, 

As far as the camera, it is really old, takes nice general pictures but really doesn't do details well, 2.2mpx. Focal length just isn't there for real sharp closeups. Todays basic standard is 30 mpx using a macro...... 

It's a great little camera I'm still going to use it I just need something with a little bit more capability for the fine shots...

Thank you...

Quote:

3 hours ago, Old Collingwood said:

Looking fine bro,  thats a neat little build  looks the part and nice and busy.

OC.

Thanks brother Yeah I thought it would bridge the gap between ordering parts and them getting here.....  and besides, I's kinda fond of drabby green with target markers..... especially when they illustrate some of the hurculean acts our boys perform in service to our country.... Like landing in enemy controlled LZ's having to dig your weapons out of the wreckage and then fix them before you can use them..... Glider troops don't ever seem to get mentioned in the same statement about jumping troops... but they both had their special kind of bravery.....

Any way, this is my D-Day tribute to those who served just as hard, but seldom get mentioned.......

Thank you...

Quote:

30 minutes ago, lmagna said:

It came out nice EG. But then I expected no less from you. :D Looks like you would need two or three vehicles per gun just to carry the ammo and crew to operate it.

From what I read in the stuff you posted in the link a few days ago, they spent much of the night and morning after "landing" just trying to locate the planes and gear and dig what they needed out of the wreckage and get it all assembled as a combat effective unit. It is kind of amazing when you think of it, that in just a relatively few years we were doing the same thing only using helicopters to insert in some cases almost entire battalions and they were operational almost immediately upon hitting the ground.

Again, great work.

Thank you Lou....

Yep when they landed in the Elmira mission, they brought 24 guns with them, when they were finally able to collect equipment after the landing under fire, (after dusk) they were only able to get 6 operable guns together to send to the MLR....  They eventually recovered most of them after the service personnel got there, but they used what they had and fought like hell... I tried to represent that.... Gradually as I find my modeling muse restarting, I'm getting closer and closer to doing one from the heart..... memorializing a battle my father was in..... he saw a lot of situations like this.... desperate deadly times..... and lived to not tell the tales.....

Each one I'm doing opens a door so to speak allows me to touch on more......

You know where I'm eventually headed brother, I believe that a "Slick" has landed on my door step, and the ordnance department has aquired an XM-23 setup to add to the vignette..... Yes Helicopters eliminated the Glider troops, made combat insertions much faster, but also brought their own heartache and miseries.... I will be modeling one in the future....

After so many years out of the hobby I'm finding that my muse has changed from building neat pretty hardware and filling shelves to telling a story...... I enjoy it more this way.... 

Thank you brother, Greatly appreciated....

EG

Quote:

Super little build EG, you've got nice detail on it.  Impressive!!!

Current builds;

Henry Ramey Upcher 1:25

Providence whaleboat- 1:25     HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

Non ship:  SBD-3 Dauntless 1:48 Hasegawa -FINISHED