Building a Medieval fortress - by Waitoa - Del Prado 1/87

The like isn't  for the drop obviously 😉

You're doing good 👍

Current builds;

Henry Ramey Upcher 1:25

Providence whaleboat- 1:25     HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

Non ship:  SBD-3 Dauntless 1:48 Hasegawa -FINISHED

2 hours ago, Waitoa said:

Interested in how Kevin and Ekis do their walls.  I tend to zig zag my bricks laying a course of bricks for each length of wall.  This means that different parts of the walls are at different heights which hopefully shows what I mean.  This stops me from getting bored but also allows me to run a file across the top so it is relatively flat for the next layer.  Also it has allowed me to weave the various bricks in on the corners and has made it quite strong.  Accidentally dropped it and other than a few bricks it held together.

Ekis and Kevin - your thoughts?

D0DF2195-F86F-4B07-BC1A-1CD3C44ED0AC.jpeg

i am still finding a way the suits my style of building, unfortunately i am perhaps trying to hard, and sanding every other level flat. so i am getting a dressed brick effect

also i dont quite understand the scales used on the kits,  my bridge is 1/350 the castles i have for Christmas are 1/135 i think but still use the same size bricks 5x5mm maybe my style of building suits the smaller scale

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

I think the bricks are a standard size across the kits. I built the ruined medieval watchtower which seems to be about 1/72 scale and I'm now building the Towers of Rochelle which is 1/200 and the bricks are the same in both kits. 

The watchtower went fairly quickly but I'm very slow building the Towers. The shapes of the main tower require sanding almost every brick to fit. It's still fun but I need to take a break now and then and build something else. I'm not sure why the picture of tower is the wrong way up. It's resisting my attempts to flip itIMG_0450.thumb.jpg.b4eeb18aafe5d2e1270003d710f70c03.jpg

IMG_0079.thumb.JPG.302449bde81f686269f4d439a230cfd4.JPGIMG_0075.thumb.JPG.2ede9eca5bc469360ba4ea728050ba64.JPG

4 minutes ago, king derelict said:

I think the bricks are a standard size across the kits. I built the ruined medieval watchtower which seems to be about 1/72 scale and I'm now building the Towers of Rochelle which is 1/200 and the bricks are the same in both kits. 

The watchtower went fairly quickly but I'm very slow building the Towers. The shapes of the main tower require sanding almost every brick to fit. It's still fun but I need to take a break now and then and build something else. I'm not sure why the picture of tower is the wrong way up. It's resisting my attempts to flip it

very nice indeed, well stuck on otherwise they would fall off being upside down, 

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

21 minutes ago, Kevin said:

very nice indeed, well stuck on otherwise they would fall off being upside down, 

Far better than my drop test, looks good by the way and there is always more room for these builds.

Kevin - thanks experimenting with various ways o building so good to get your comments 

Well, I build like you, by shifting the stones one on top of the other. One that a line of stones is in place, one file stroke to find horizontality and attack the next row.
For the corners of thick walls, the corners of towers, I do differently by making the edges first with larger stones to respect the period constructions (see attached photo).

P4170004.JPG.3995337b028f8808f4ec07091b972796.JPG

P4210002.JPG.5736869f9245e02445b3ee22cc0bca96.JPG

The stones in the kits are the same indeed, which is a pity for the realism of these constructions and their different scale. I imagine that it is necessary for the manufacturer to make kits that seem simpler to assemble, and easier to manage at the factory...

But not for this village, Waitoa. You have big stones (15x7x5) and the "normal" 10x5x5.
At Aedes Ars, there are others, flatter (10x3x5) or smaller (8x4x4) or 6x3x3 that I used for the last house in front and the normal stones for the side walls.

P4180001.JPG.3f385a0bbb174425033a4950ab52bd18.JPG

PB210010.JPG.ee5e851d8b7ceef067e3b3bdffb6b750.JPG

For my part, I try to vary the sizes of the stones according to their use in the village. I do the same thing with the different tiles, rectangular, large or small, or square.

Edited by Ekis

7 hours ago, Ekis said:

Well, I build like you, by shifting the stones one on top of the other. One that a line of stones is in place, one file stroke to find horizontality and attack the next row.
For the corners of thick walls, the corners of towers, I do differently by making the edges first with larger stones to respect the period constructions (see attached photo).

P4170004.JPG.3995337b028f8808f4ec07091b972796.JPG

The stones in the kits are the same indeed, which is a pity for the realism of these constructions and their different scale. I imagine that it is necessary for the manufacturer to make kits that seem simpler to assemble, and easier to manage at the factory...

But not for this village, Waitoa. You have big stones (15x7x5) and the "normal" 10x5x5.
At Aedes Ars, there are others, flatter (10x3x5) or smaller (8x4x4) or 6x3x3 that I used for the last house in front and the normal stones for the side walls.

For my part, I try to vary the sizes of the stones according to their use in the village. I do the same thing with the different tiles, rectangular, large or small, or square.

love the door template idea

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

Finished     

love to see this in an armor diorama........some very fine work going on here :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

I have a friend that does masonry........interesting to see how he works.   very nice!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Tell the fryer to be careful of that rubble  or he will be over.     looking nice.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

Very nice! Meanwhile there are a bunch of nice medieval kits out there.

Current Build:

HM Brig Badger 1/48 from Caldercraft plans

Le Coureur 1/48 by CAF

Completed Build:

Armed Virginia Sloop 1/48 by Model Shipways / Gallery
HM Cutter Sherbourne 1/64 by Caldercraft / Gallery

55 minutes ago, captain_hook said:

Very nice! Meanwhile there are a bunch of nice medieval kits out there.

Thanks for the comment.  Any suggestions on the kits as need to plan out the rest and open to ideas on buildings, people, wagons etc.  May have to do some scratch building.

very nice, after my church im looking at doing a warehouse

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

Finished     

7 hours ago, Kevin said:

very nice, after my church im looking at doing a warehouse

Me t on my list is a watchtower it will look similar to Ekis’ one as it came with the original kit but sure mine will look like it has done 20 rounds with a series of siege weapons.  After that I have half a house and half a lords manor that came with the original kit.  Then I have 3 houses that came with an Aedes Ars kit sadly I am in love with their bricks.

Will need to scratch build the gate house and want to add a forge, stable and a series of animal pens.  Definitely keen on doing a silage pile but not sure how to model that big. 

i will have to scratch everything, but i can get a rough idea by counting the amount of bricks to get the length and height, the pile of wet grass for your silage pile sounds interesting

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

Finished     

Well I see the MSW Stone Masons Guild is taking off.....

Gonna have to consider membership....

Current Build: F-86F-30 Sabre by Egilman - Kinetic - 1/32nd scale

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

Terminated Build: F-104C Starfighter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

"Relish Today, Ketchup Tomorrow"

4 hours ago, Egilman said:

Well I see the MSW Stone Masons Guild is taking off.....

Gonna have to consider membership....

And a Gold Trowel for the members.😁

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

Oh, it's very nice to see a finished realization of the original Del Prado kit with its decoration elements and the diorama!
In addition to having had the courage to finish it completely, I think your grandfather did an excellent job: bravo!
Thank you for sharing it with us, Laura! 😉

Nicely done diorama. And your great memories.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

1 hour ago, Ekis said:

Oh, it's very nice to see a finished realization of the original Del Prado kit with its decoration elements and the diorama!
In addition to having had the courage to finish it completely, I think your grandfather did an excellent job: bravo!
Thank you for sharing it with us, Laura! 😉

Thank you very much for your kind words means a lot. I couldn’t see all of his work go to waste so it is a nice piece to hold onto 

2 hours ago, Laura said:

Hi here is one my grandad completed I now have at home due to him sadly passing. What do you think? 

lovely to see a completed set

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

Finished