Great work Nenad, your research and patience is really paying off. 

Current Builds:  Revell 1:96 Thermopylae Restoration

Revell 1:96 Constitution COMPLETED

Aeropiccola HMS Endeavor IN ORDINARY

Planned Builds: Scientific Sea Witch

Marine Models USF Essex

Thabk you Scot. If my skill could go on this way ...

Edited by Nenad M

In progress:

CUTTY SARK - Tehnodidakta => scratch => Campbell plans

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-1#entry64653

Content of log :

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-62#entry217381

Past build:

Stella, Heller kit, plastic, Santa Maria, Tehnodidakta kit, wood, Jolly Roger Heller kit, plastic

I like the approach that you have for your work Nenad, you keep at it until you find the right solution.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

I like that eye bolt plate.........it works well  ;)    generals are smarter after battle,  because they already know the outcome.........we know,  ONLY when we say it is ;)   she's looking good........your making some big steps forward  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Thank you Michael and Denis.

It seems strike will be really over until end of week ...

And new stage of drama starts ... hunting lost clients ...

But it is ok, this is life

Two more fields to go

post-4738-0-27260200-1421867995_thumb.jpg

Edited by Nenad M

In progress:

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-1#entry64653

Content of log :

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-62#entry217381

Past build:

Stella, Heller kit, plastic, Santa Maria, Tehnodidakta kit, wood, Jolly Roger Heller kit, plastic

That's two items of good news... the Cutty is looking great.  I think you've got it!!!!  And the strike is over. 

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Thanks Mark.

Goin to bed to read Dan Simoms horror novel. Just finished historical book of Serbia between WW and a new short book I found about D-day , and need something difrrent. Mind Vampire .... mind control ... match with some stupid movie I watched today after returning from downtown.

In meantime, still investigating (tryin' to) detail content of bulwark rails and content under rails. Considering structure and object of most pictures available on net, including all photos of Her I collected ( more than 3gb) I noticed that most of visitors who take a shot were impressed by rigging, wheel, decks in spread view, outside panoramic view, bunch of ropes, ... and if you look for specific detail, you have to pass a long way. Details to we are interested are not interesting for most of people

Probably we are not interesting for most of people. Our work - yes, but our stories about ship we make, all things we learned about, I think - not. Who cares about reasons for ending of sail trade era, and consequences. Who cares that sailships in mid XIX were top of technogy. Who cares about enginiering masterpieces from their time (Victory) famous ship battles ....

But, I think this are things world must never forget. Without history, you do not have identity in all means. And whole history was created under somebodys sails

Edited by Nenad M

In progress:

Content of log :

Past build:

Well said, Nenad.   Enjoy the book. 

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Nenad,

Any detail I can help out with or maybe have a photo you need?  Like you I have quite a few photos saved.

Also, very nice work on the rails!  I ran into the same problem about support and used the same solution. I applied a great deal of force and no movement.  Your rail should be just as secure.  I really like the eye bolt plates.  Also very nice drilling work for the pins and deadeyes!

Marc

Edited by keelhauled

Thank you Marc for kind words. I am looking for upper horizotal deadeye rail surface content, in intend not to miss something. I think I found 90% for now. Probably I'll find rest when start to learn about and follow all rope lines

Thank you Mark for support. "Carrion comfort" by D. Simons ... good book for beach, but written on a template "how to make bestseller" ... you know this style used by many USA authors: " East London, 14:45... Taking short look to his Rolex, Hero hit his Samsonite briefcase throught window ... They hunt me !!! "

Almost Huh and Ouch ... but after hard artilery I have read before, it is a nice change

Her Majesty is happy today, I spent with Her almost whole afternoon, considering strike is over, and we start to work on Monday

Both rails finished and mounted, and I am starting with painting, looking for correct color

Things slowly come to their place ...

post-4738-0-73567400-1421955133_thumb.jpg

post-4738-0-79185200-1421955152_thumb.jpg

post-4738-0-44894900-1421955174_thumb.jpg

White panels now look very well, and this stage I was waiting for until time I made them

Now, color war begin

Edited by Nenad M

In progress:

Content of log :

Past build:

Beautiful work.  Looking great.

Hope some of these photos might help

Marc

post-606-0-34560000-1421969281_thumb.jpg

post-606-0-54462200-1421969282_thumb.jpg

post-606-0-12315400-1421969289_thumb.jpg

These are from below the rail.  They show the belaying pins and deadeye stays

post-606-0-00394200-1421969290_thumb.jpg

post-606-0-95141100-1421969290_thumb.jpg

Edited by keelhauled

Looking at Keelhauled's pictures, it appears that Nenad has the deck colouring precisely correct.

Nice job !!

Edited by CaptainSteve

CaptainSteve
Current Build:  HM Granado Bomb Vessel (Caldercraft)

My BathTub:    Queen Anne Barge (Syren Ship Models)       Log:  Queen Anne Barge (an build log)

Bounty Launch (Model Shipways)                 Log:  Bounty Launch by CaptainSteve
                        Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)
Check It Out:   The Kit-Basher's Guide to The Galaxy

Marvelous looking work Nenad and congrats with strike being over!

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

guess they don't paint under there Marc.......:D  :D  but.....you can see what type of rail support they had there ;)

gee Nenad........in your last picture,   I was going to say that your table looks just like mine  :)      I see her now,  and she looks great!   well done on the rails.....when all the rigging is on them,  you'll have captured the snippets and bit of detail,  that the visiting tourist can only see through their shuttered eye.  detail is a funny thing......one person can only see so much....another person see so much,  but glances over what the other person saw....that's probably the biggest problem with 'layered detail'.  some of the smallest detail can be overlooked.

never think that it's a waste........even at this point in your build,  you have added detail that even the model manufacturers,  didn't even think to put into their kits!  ;)   you are well on your way,  in building one of the most 'comprehensive studies' of this vessel......your log runs deep with ideas and thoughts.  now.......if Bob and Marc carries out what their plans are.......this site will have the benefit of having three highly detailed logs to follow!  also......here is the 'scary part'.........you've done well so far,  and you continue through the rest of the deck fitting........what do you think your rigging is going to look like?   nothing short of spectacular......I can tell you that!

great job Nenad!  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

Hey Denis, you are too much kind ...

Right now Im down ( blood preasure issue) and cant write much

Rigging ... with no serious experience ... but I think ... big big inspiration in Danny's HMS Vulture , also Nils Lagenmann works etc&etc, rigging ... really bad influece lead me to devil's road to try something like those phenomenal works

Again my usual life story: too much ambition VS too little skill

Something will "drop down" from this soap I hope ... and maybe I learn something untill ...

First to finish painting, then to play with deck furniture, fittings and another content, AND THEN !!!

Masts ...

Spars ...

Rigging ...

Edited by Nenad M

In progress:

Content of log :

Past build:

Do not worry amigo.  I have faith in your skills.  The end result will probably be a masterpiece.  Hope you feel better soon.

David B

Never to late, David.

After a year of start building I somehow discovered that I am able to make very little things, and that my fingers can play very precise moves in small scale ( playing guitar 40 years probably). There is something truth in words "if you can make something little you can always make it bigger". Beside that, somewhere in same time, I also discovered that I can change my "Lego" approach to something with preliminary good fore-thinking instead aft-thinking, with necessary analytic and forced patience before acting. All this spiced by lot of things I learned on MSW, and my nature to rather accept challenges ( bigger=better) than reject, rather chose something new than "elephant path" and results simply must come one day. "Some" experience still miss, but there is no help except spending more of my time in workshop

So, changed approach obviously gave satisfied (and I must admit - unexpected) results in frame of my experience, but considering I long ago decided not to make Ver. Nô 2 from begging, some misfits and big mistakes ... just can not pretend they are not here ... working on railings I can not close my eyes to wrong and not equal width of inner bulwarks

I am not crying, I can happily live with this, particular somehow I succeed to make outside lines of hull after second layer of planking, coopering and painting, and whole full profile look, on some way that inside mess is pretty hiden and invisible, and I am happy to the sky !!! I picked up first WOWs from friends who see Her in present stage, and I'm very proud to myself, and very motivated to continue in such a, or if I'll be able, better way

Great great fun and joy, and medicine for stress and nervous. Why I didn't start 10 years ago ? Probably "someone" had to play computer games instead ( F-16, Mig-29, Star-wars, Call of Duty and Battlefield, and all that over and again in net/lan multiplayer version)

My head is still not-attached to body in proper way, and decided nit to work on Her today

BTW, it is NOT good having doctor in home ... Before, if you have headache, just wait to pass or take aspirin. Now ... Dad, I'll measure you blood press ... 110/170 ... you must urgently to medical center ... bla bla bla ... pils ... bla bla bla ... diet ... bla bla bla ... exercises ... bla bla bla ...

Tell me something new ...

Things were more and much simpler before

Just kidding ...

Edited by Nenad M

In progress:

Content of log :

Past build:

Nenad,

Your skills are great and getting better every day as is your ship model!  Thank you for sharing your approach, thoughts and experiences with us!

Take care of your health.  Without it you have nothing.

Marc

It is said

First 50 years of life, you browbeat your body. Next 50 years, your body browbeats yoy

or just

Payback time

Edited by Nenad M

In progress:

Content of log :

Past build:

Again my usual life story: too much ambition VS too little skill

Oh no Nenad, if you reach too low you miss the top, your model shows that the top is where you are reaching.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

so.......all the years of bringing up daughter,  is finally paying off .........of course,  not like you would have expected ;)   take care of yourself.......we're not getting any younger!

nothing wrong with too much ambition.......that's what makes skill and imagination grow    :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Painting goes on

post-4738-0-27277800-1422383878_thumb.jpg

And famous question "how to get teak color with acrylic" arise

Even I have seen many models of CS avaliable on google/search/photos, I think no one has color of teak. Of course, there is another famous question about light conditions, camera used, etc etc

I am not satisfied with color I get - too much dark and brown when dry

This is ... targeted color

post-4738-0-64141700-1422383902_thumb.jpg

Something has to be done

Experiments again

For instance

post-4738-0-44507000-1422383916_thumb.jpg

Hmmm

Not look as weathered, rather as a bad painted...

post-4738-0-00637100-1422384469_thumb.jpg

Hmmmmm......

Edited by Nenad M

In progress:

Content of log :

Past build:

Nenad. I would try a mix of Golden Teak wood stain (maybe 90% +) and black or dark brown paint (maybe a little less than 10%). And, perhaps, a little drop of paint thinners. Try it on a test piece first. 

Edited by CaptainSteve

CaptainSteve
Current Build:  HM Granado Bomb Vessel (Caldercraft)

My BathTub:    Queen Anne Barge (Syren Ship Models)       Log:  Queen Anne Barge (an build log)

Bounty Launch (Model Shipways)                 Log:  Bounty Launch by CaptainSteve
                        Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)
Check It Out:   The Kit-Basher's Guide to The Galaxy

I have been using an undercoat of Prince-August (a French packaging of Vallejo it seems) 'bois' (='wood') acrylic underpaint and then a thin layer of acrylic 'wood stain' from a DIY. This then was 'weathered' using thin washes of acrylic 'burnt umber'. The colours in the photograph below are sligthly distorted due to the mixed-temperature lighting, but comes close to what teak might look like (though the intention was actually tarred, weathered oak, hence also the weathering with white pastel):

BotterModel-089.jpg

wefalck

panta rhei - Everything is in flux

M-et-M-72.jpg  Banner-AKHS-72.jpg  Banner-AAMM-72.jpg  ImagoOrbis-72.jpg

yea.... you may have to  'layer ' colors.....I'm not aware of any one that puts out a 'true teak' .    never done it myself neither....raise my hand to be counted as one who settled for something close to it.   should be a treat to see what you come up with.........you know you want to.........I can see it in your work  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Thank you dear friends for courageing my stubornity ...

So, cleaning mess again ...

booring precise hudge job with sandpaper 360 and 400 in second hand with my sanding jig ...

post-4738-0-69462300-1422472114_thumb.jpg

post-4738-0-45105800-1422472092_thumb.jpg

During cleaning, I made some tests, considering transparency of thin layer of acrylic.

post-4738-0-69419900-1422472137_thumb.jpg

post-4738-0-14833800-1422472162_thumb.jpg

I think I've got it !!!

White, then yellow, orange, brown, black, yellow, orange yellow and brown

Bad camera on cellphone disorts color temperature, and I make macro shot which better repeesent true look of color I get

post-4738-0-82853000-1422472180_thumb.jpg

But all this layers on all rails ... huh

I must think about and try to shorten procces of repairing

Edited by Nenad M

In progress:

Content of log :

Past build:

Ah yes, the joy of experimentation but the time spend is well worth it when it all falls into place!  looks great Nenad.

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

Bob, if you are crazy and stubborn as me, you can always use sand-paper  :piratetongueor4:  and enjoy in blessing of multiply unnecessarily repeated job ...

In progress:

Content of log :

Past build: