New member: an Aussie in Yorkshire

Mike_H

Hello!  Or G'day, or perhaps ey up! Probably not ahoy! Anyway, my lifelong interest in 18th and 19th C. naval history means my lovely daughters have been dragged through endless museums and across endless ships - the Victory three times, I think.  So perhaps a birthday present of an Artesania Latina kit should not have been a surprise - but it certainly was a delight.  A few months later and I am completely hooked - in fact it's finished, as I will explain, and I have dreadful withdrawal symptoms waiting for its successor to be delivered.

The AL kit in question was for Endeavour's Longboat, but I started it before I found this forum so didn't create a build log - I'll do something like that retrospectively, to point our how much I got wrong, how much I learned, and how delighted I am.  I'll do that in the build logs section for ease of finding.  I've just read a post in the New member Introductions saying essentially don't run before you can crawl.  And in that respect the Longboat is a great starting project.  It remains to be seen if crawling through that was enough to prepare me for jogging through Caldercraft's HMS Snake.  Time will tell - but you will see it on this forum.

Welcome to MSW, Mike.   I think you're on the right track.  We all make mistakes, even the most experienced make them, so no judgement, just help offered.  Enjoy the trip not just the destination as this hobby is very self rewarding.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Welcome to MSW, it is a great place. Looking forward to seeing your retrospective.

🌻

STAY SAFE

A model shipwright and an amateur historian are heads & tails of the same coin

current builds:

HMS Berwick 1775, 1/192 scratchbuild; a Slade 74 in the Navy Board style

Mediator sloop, 1/48 - an 18th century transport scratchbuild 

French longboat - CAF - 1/48, on hold

Hi Mike and welcome to Model Ship World.  I am glad hat you have been hooked into this hobby.  Building a wooden ship model is very rewarding.  I look forward to seeing your build logs.

Ryland

Member - Hampton Roads Ship Model Society

- Ship Model Society of New Jersey

- Nautical Research Guild

Current Build - Armed Virginia Sloop, 18th Century Longboat

Completed Build - Medway Longboat

:piratebo5:

:sign:

Regards, Patrick

Finished :  Soleil Royal Heller 1/100   Wasa Billing Boats   Bounty Revell 1/110 plastic (semi scratch)   Pelican / Golden Hind  1/45 scratch

Current build :  Mary Rose 1/50 scratch

Gallery Revell Bounty  Pelican/Golden hind 1/45 scratch

To do Prins Willem Corel, Le Tonnant Corel, Yacht d'Oro Corel, Thermopylae Sergal 

Shore leave,  non ship models build logs :  

ADGZ M35 funkwagen 1/72    Einhets Pkw. Kfz.2 and 4 1/72   Autoblinda AB40 1/72   122mm A-19 & 152mm ML-20 & 12.8cm Pak.44 {K8 1/2} 1/72   10.5cm Howitzer 16 on Mark. VI(e)  Centurion Mk.1 conversion   M29 Weasel 1/72     SAM6 1/72    T26 Finland  T26 TN 1/72  Autoprotetto S37 1/72     Opel Blitz buses 1/72  Boxer and MAN trucks 1/72   Hetzer38(t) Starr 1/72    

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Thanks for the welcome.  Recurrent theme is that model ship building is very rewarding.  That's just one of the many things I have learnt in the last few months.

Looking forward to seeing your builds! Welcome to MSW!

Bradley

Current Builds:

Flying Fish - Model Shipways - 1:96

Future Builds:

Young America 1853 - Scratch Build - 1:72

Completed Builds:

HMS Racehorse - Mantua - 1:47 (No pictures unfortunately)

Providence Whale Boat - Artesania Latina - 1:25 (Also no pictures)

Lowell Grand Banks Dory - Model Shipways - 1:24

Shelved Builds:

Pride of Baltimore 2 - Model Shipways - 1:64 (Also no pictures)

Welcome!  Each project is such a learning experience and we all get better with each one.  You can look through the various Snake build logs here to see how others overcame isssues and where things were difficult or for great tips and tricks 

• 2 weeks later...

Welcome!

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

Welcome to MSW, Mike, from another Aussie (but still at home).

Sounds like you're on the right track. I hope the withdrawals don't get you too much before the next model arrives (I've just finished my dromon build and already experiencing withdrawal - fortunately I've got another one to get on with.)

Where are you in Yorkshire? I went to York back in 2000 and fell in love with the place. Did some travelling around as well, but not all of Yorkshire by any means.

I grew up in Perth and have lived in Sydney, Cootamundra, Port Hedland, Mildura, Frankston, Research (yes that's really its name) and now in Ballarat. Where in Oz are you from?

On 10/21/2020 at 10:03 AM, Louie da fly said:

Welcome to MSW, Mike, from another Aussie (but still at home).

Sounds like you're on the right track. I hope the withdrawals don't get you too much before the next model arrives (I've just finished my dromon build and already experiencing withdrawal - fortunately I've got another one to get on with.)

Where are you in Yorkshire? I went to York back in 2000 and fell in love with the place. Did some travelling around as well, but not all of Yorkshire by any means.

I grew up in Perth and have lived in Sydney, Cootamundra, Port Hedland, Mildura, Frankston, Research (yes that's really its name) and now in Ballarat. Where in Oz are you from?

Hi Louie - next kit (Caldercraft Snake) arrived yesterday - will start the log in a day or two.

I'm an Adelaide boy through and through (to the extent that when my application for memberships of the SACA got to the top of the list, I accepted it) though I left SA 30 years ago - 10 years in Cambridge and the last 20 in Sheffield.  My grandparents lived in Melbourne so I spent most of my summer holidays there and have been through Ballarat more times than I can remember - always stopped for pies and pasties from the bakery.  

And, I'm the right age to know where the image of Louie da fly comes from - straight from rubbish tip to you!

Hi Mike, welcome to MSW. 

Your flight to the UK probably passed my sister-in-law's going in the opposite direction. She left 30 years ago to set up home with her Australian husband in Sydney. We love visiting them and touring your home country - or at least we did before covid! Btw, we've got a Sheffield postcode although we live in Nottinghamshire. Small world.

Derek

Cheers, Derek

Current build:   Duchess of Kingston

On hold:              HMS Winchelsea

Previous builds:  HMS SpeedyEnglish Pinnace, Royal Yacht Caroline (gallery),

Victory Cross-section (gallery), US Clipper Albatros, Red Dragon (years ago!)

On the stocks:    18th Century Longboat

Welcome Mike, from someone who lives just up the road.

I did have the honour and pleasure of having a few beers iourside the Darwin Sailing Club many moons ago.... I think I should have stayed there 😉

As others have said, this a most friendly and helpful website, probably the best I've ever been on.

All the best,

Richard

I was born in Adelaide but grew up in Perth. The trip to Adelaide is do-able in a day and we've been a few times (our daughter was living at the tip of the Yorke peninsula, another 4 hours drive away). Adelaide's very beautiful, and definitely worth going back to (although I did get a bit tired of brushwood fences).

11 hours ago, MIke_H said:

have been through Ballarat more times than I can remember - always stopped for pies and pasties from the bakery.

That would be the King Bakery at the bottom of the main drag? Best vanilla slices in the universe.

11 hours ago, MIke_H said:

And, I'm the right age to know where the image of Louie da fly comes from - straight from rubbish tip to you!

The funny thing about Louie is you can't help liking him even though the TV ad is for a flyspray. He's a bit of a larrikin - somehow appeals to me.

You'd be the right age to remember Mr Squiggle, too, I expect.