1966 Ford Galaxie 500 Stock Car - AMT - 1:25 Scale

Another Smokey-ism: I think he replied 'cubic money' when asked about the power advantage of a factory Ford.

Edited by bruce d

🌻

STAY SAFE

A model shipwright and an amateur historian are heads & tails of the same coin

current builds:

HMS Berwick 1775, 1/192 scratchbuild; a Slade 74 in the Navy Board style

Mediator sloop, 1/48 - an 18th century transport scratchbuild 

French longboat - CAF - 1/48, on hold

Ah... the 455 Buick.. one of the most underrated engines back then.   The small block 400 Chevy was also.  

My favorite line I always heard a lot from builders was:  "Speed costs money.  How fast do you really want to go?".

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

As I recall, and memory might be faulty.... Tommy Ivo's 4 engine, 4 wheel drive rail dragster was powered by the Buicks. 

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

13 minutes ago, mtaylor said:

Tommy Ivo's 4 engine, 4 wheel drive rail dragster was powered by the Buicks. 

Correct, and the car had a second career as a funny car with a Buick station wagon body. I saw it run at Covington Georgia. Now that would be a model!

🌻

STAY SAFE

current builds:

17 minutes ago, bruce d said:

Correct, and the car had a second career as a funny car with a Buick station wagon body. I saw it run at Covington Georgia. Now that would be a model!

Known as the wagonmaster, built by Tom McCourry after he bought Ivo's four engined monster and ran it for two years... the Body was designed by George Burris...

WM4-.jpg.5a03c34bd95a0a97d3a7379ff2bf1b34.jpg

Had the Wagonmaster rear body with a Riviera front end....

Loud and proud....

Current Build: F-86F-30 Sabre by Egilman - Kinetic - 1/32nd scale

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

Terminated Build: F-104C Starfighter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

"Relish Today, Ketchup Tomorrow"

1 hour ago, mtaylor said:

As I recall, and memory might be faulty.... Tommy Ivo's 4 engine, 4 wheel drive rail dragster was powered by the Buicks. 

I believe I've got that Tommy Ivo kit in my stash somewhere. I built it one time when I was young and remember it being difficult to build it right. That car had the old Buick nailhead engines. Another difficult one to build from that same era was Mickey Thompson's 4 engine Challenger, the land speed record car. I think I have both of his speed record cars. The other one is a four cylinder blown Pontiac powered job.

1 hour ago, Egilman said:

Had the Wagonmaster rear body with a Riviera front end....

Loud and proud....

LOUD????? It shook the earth. And by the way, it was solid yellow when I saw it. 

Quite a day. Frantic Four / Greer-Black-Prudhome match race, Hemi Under Glass and The Little Red Wagon. Our car was out in round two but Linda Vaughn was there ...

🌻

STAY SAFE

current builds:

Micky Thompson, the legend.....

Challenger I.....

Challenger.thumb.jpeg.82a503d3c4ac63ce300ef81218eb8231.jpegmickey-thompson-challenger-02.jpg.19f9af711070a8e7c7b35661fc188e8d.jpgchallenger1mickeythomps.jpg.aeb41545a76637da9c0cf6ef02621315.jpgchallenger1mickeythompsp.thumb.jpg.db70680b7fffb4737c15f79219507efc.jpg

Thompsons second car.....

1135071364_DTMTsaltchallengergoodhand2.thumb.jpg.0148e4b98c2e5077ecff02ae4e6b8ea4.jpg 636481335_autolite17.thumb.jpg.cd75becc6ab47846d460908fc5e0b774.jpg

Also known as the streamliner....  This car was retired when his chance to break the record was swamped when the salt flats were turned into a lake by a storm....

50 years later Micky's son Danny took up the challenge and brought the car out of storage and rebuilt it.....

1112961315_CH2SWimpoundpit2016HollyMartin(119of289).thumb.jpg.0f8c4be69c27cd8d442c1cbe2ded94db.jpgIMG_0164.thumb.jpg.ba4c225da8e16d21ce9f75e1d3f18664.jpg

It made a run of 450+ in 2018 and a return run which set the LSR for piston powered cars at 448.757 MPH which still stands today....

Edited by Egilman

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

The new re-released AMT kits come with pad printed tire sidewalls, but the racing tires for the Galaxie were not printed. In the past, I have used a small paint brush to paint the raised white letters, but this time I ordered some white markers with .7 mm tips from Amazon to try them out on the racing tires. It's a lot easier to do with the white marking pens than it is with a paint brush.

IMG_1313.thumb.jpg.721f78b096a68daf33b37958f11bcf85.jpgIMG_1312.thumb.jpg.afb16397c8d19a13594f0d8ac7b353c4.jpgIMG_1311.thumb.jpg.56c3214892d291651d285e330041c1d4.jpg 

nice........big fan of drag racing :)   I've seen the Ivo machine kit.......love to get another large scale kit though.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

• 2 weeks later...

VERY sharp paint!!!

Excellent!!!

Quote:

Just now, Jack12477 said:

That is a bright red ! Looks good. 

Just now, Egilman said:

VERY sharp paint!!!

Excellent!!!

Thanks. It's just plain old Tamiya X-7 red. I use Mr Color 400 levelling thinner, and that makes it self level. The downside is a longer drying/curing time. Plus too, the weather being a little cooler (as well as my inside home temperature) adds a bit to the drying time.

Nice paint job. And markings for The Silver Fox. Very nice.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

good look'in body.........the paint looks great!  shaping up to be a super stock car  ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

I will need to shim the chassis/interior tub/body fit back to front so the tires sit evenly within the wheel wells. As it sits here now, dry-fitted, there is too much rake from front to back. It should sit more level.

It's been quite a while since I last worked on one of these very old molds from AMT. In retrospect, I should have worked much earlier to recognize where adjustments would be needed as these are not shake and bake kits like Tamiya, Hasegawa, Aoshima, or even the Revell Germany kits of the modern day. You cannot assume they will fit well. I should have remembered that. 

11 hours ago, CDW said:

You cannot assume they will fit well. I should have remembered that. 

We all get enamored of the quality of the current designs over the last decade or so, so it's not a big deal.... test fit and check was the mantra of the day and should still be...

Excellent work brother... Looking good....

Quote:

on some,  when the bumpers and such are added,  they have tabs that the chassis will sit on.  you haven't added the windshields either,  and that will set up the interior to sit in its proper place.  

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

2 hours ago, popeye the sailor said:

on some,  when the bumpers and such are added,  they have tabs that the chassis will sit on.  you haven't added the windshields either,  and that will set up the interior to sit in its proper place.  

I think you're right. It does sit better with the glass and bumpers in place. Will finish up these decals over the next day or two then call this one done.

IMG_1422.thumb.jpg.6267f4312b7474d165cab92339a4cfff.jpgIMG_1423.thumb.jpg.b3ae752ff0bde95b2f15cb7630364056.jpgIMG_1424.thumb.jpg.ec0b7110bc98cd9b3f1ec84f96b06030.jpg

Looking good. As for the way the car sits, it's not far off from what was done back then.  Many owners did raise the front with the theory that the more weight on the back tires, the more traction they would have.  Pretty sound but as cars got faster in the quarter mile, they started dropping the nose to keep air from collecting under it.   More than a few approached the finish line and suddenly the front lifted because of this.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

I've only managed to get half the decals on the model. Real life got in the way of modeling this past week. 🙂

The decals are a limited production, cottage industry set. Being as such, a sheet with the white background pieces are printed separately from the main, color sheet of decals. This requires twice as much time to apply the decals. White goes down first, then the color after the white have dried. 

IMG_1428.thumb.jpg.f4f5ba8aac4821c40ecea5b92e4a4b21.jpgIMG_1429.thumb.jpg.d157bc1ff24553afe2f7410fc9b79793.jpgIMG_1430.thumb.jpg.47ab87f5e9b5d71738bd90195449bce1.jpg

Looks more like Grandpa was doing a little carousing and decided the grandkids needed a little horizon broadening. I suppose you told Mama that you were just going out to watch the game!

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey