American LaFrance Eagle Fire Pumper - Trumpeter - 1:25 Scale

CDW

Very nice progress mate  - its a rare build  if I'm not mistaken its the first build of its kind here  - a really nice addition to our build world.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

I almost bought a ladder truck........now your gonna make me regret it  ;)   super start on 'er...looks great!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

It's going great.  Nice work.

The part in question is the pump panel - and the drivers side with the gauges etc.  The Engineer controls the pump from this position.  The other side has a connection or two for additional hose lines.  There is nothing inside except the connections to the pump, the wiring for the panel lights, pressure lines to the gauges, etc.  Also inside are the water pipe lines to the hose outlets on both sides of the vehicle and the pipe up to the hose reel that sits atop the box.  The hose reel is for what we called a booster hose.  I have never seen any color of these high pressure hoses except a muted dull red and black.  The pressure on this line can be up to 1,000psi - depending on the pump mfg.  Most city FDs around here don't use booster lines today but rural areas with field fires do use them.

The engineer controls the pressure delivered to the hoses by engaging the pump before leaving the drivers position - if they intend to use high pressure on the booster line he engages the 3rd stage which delivers high pressure after the incoming water enters the 1st stage and the incoming pressure is increased  there and then enters the 2nd stage where the pressure is increased further and then to the 3rd stage where it is increased yet again.  If the fire is one where quantity is needed vs pressure only the first two stages are engaged.  These pumps are centrifugal pumps and I have described how the pumps I have operated are operated.  I never operated a pump after August of 1984 when I was injured on the job and when I came back they promoted me to Div. Chief so I might be a bit rusty on specific details. 

BTW, every fire pump I have ever seen is red.  Doesn't matter if it's on a pumper or in a building.  ALF purchased their pumps from a pump mfg. who make pumps for many uses.  Fire pumps undergo extensive testing to get approval as a fire pump and then each pump is tested to strict protocol at the factory before shipping.   Fire pumps cost a lot more than a pump with the identical components that isn't meant for fire service use.  These other pumps cam be almost any color but red.  I have been inside pump mfg factories and have seen green, blue, orange but never a red one outside the dedicated space they use for the fire pump assembly and testing areas.  Most firefighters never see the inside of a pump mfg facility and my seeing the making and testing of fire pumps was because I was the Fire Prevention Division Chief and had to approve all fire pumps for the large buildings in town so their certification was something we had to take very seriously.

Kurt Van Dahm

Director

NAUTICAL RESEARCH GUILD

www.thenrg.org

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS

CLUBS

Nautical Research & Model Ship Society of Chicago

Midwest Model Shipwrights

North Shore Deadeyes

The Society of Model Shipwrights

Butch O'Hare - IPMS

46 minutes ago, popeye the sailor said:

I almost bought a ladder truck...

I know where you can buy the 1956 ALF pumper I first drove if you still want a big red collectable.  When I am in my shop here at home I can see the house but not the back yard where it is parked.  I see the front end every time I leave the house and go south and wonder why it isn't covered or in a garage.  The guy who bought it was on the FD with my Dad and for a couple of years while I was on the local Dept before going full time with the adjoining town.  He's gone now and either his son or daughter now live there and don't know what they have.

Or did you mean a 1/25 scale  ladder truck?

Kurt Van Dahm

Director

NAUTICAL RESEARCH GUILD

www.thenrg.org

CLUBS

North Shore Deadeyes

Butch O'Hare - IPMS

:D it was a model Kurt........the admiral would kill me if I drove something like that to the house! :D  although a friend of mine would likely take it off my hands......he collects the full size trucks ;)  {he already has a pumper}.

trivia....to drive a vehicle such as that on city streets,  you would have to remove all the markings and likely the color too,  so not to confuse it as an emergency vehicle.  to keep it as it is,  it could only be used in parades and fairs.  my son bought a short based school bus for his business and he had to repaint it {the markings had already been removed}.   he has five kids.......I told him to hand them a paint brush and go to town! :D  :D 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

I used to own one of these as a kid  -  Corgi Diecast toy.

Pic off the net.

OC.

external-content.duckduckgo.com.jpg

Current builds  

Completed works.

2 hours ago, kurtvd19 said:

I know where you can buy the 1956 ALF pumper I first drove if you still want a big red collectable.

Open or closed cab Kurt?

americanlafrance-1956-291569364710-0.jpg.8ca370205b19294530136e2776bb87bb.jpg

americanlafrance-1956-291569364710-1.jpg.8b1f19e56bbc264dfcbc85a16c4de544.jpg

700 series I believe... They can be had for around 1,500.00 if someone really has to have one...

Edited by Egilman

Current Build: F-86F-30 Sabre by Egilman - Kinetic - 1/32nd scale

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

Terminated Build: F-104C Starfighter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

"Relish Today, Ketchup Tomorrow"

It's going great.  Nice work.

The part in question is the pump panel - and the drivers side with the gauges etc.  The Engineer controls the pump from this position.  The other side has a connection or two for additional hose lines.  There is nothing inside except the connections to the pump, the wiring for the panel lights, pressure lines to the gauges, etc.  Also inside are the water pipe lines to the hose outlets on both sides of the vehicle and the pipe up to the hose reel that sits atop the box.  The hose reel is for what we called a booster hose.  I have never seen any color of these high pressure hoses except a muted dull red and black.  The pressure on this line can be up to 1,000psi - depending on the pump mfg.  Most city FDs around here don't use booster lines today but rural areas with field fires do use them.

The engineer controls the pressure delivered to the hoses by engaging the pump before leaving the drivers position - if they intend to use high pressure on the booster line he engages the 3rd stage which delivers high pressure after the incoming water enters the 1st stage and the incoming pressure is increased  there and then enters the 2nd stage where the pressure is increased further and then to the 3rd stage where it is increased yet again.  If the fire is one where quantity is needed vs pressure only the first two stages are engaged.  These pumps are centrifugal pumps and I have described how the pumps I have operated are operated.  I never operated a pump after August of 1984 when I was injured on the job and when I came back they promoted me to Div. Chief so I might be a bit rusty on specific details. 

BTW, every fire pump I have ever seen is red.  Doesn't matter if it's on a pumper or in a building.  ALF purchased their pumps from a pump mfg. who make pumps for many uses.  Fire pumps undergo extensive testing to get approval as a fire pump and then each pump is tested to strict protocol at the factory before shipping.   Fire pumps cost a lot more than a pump with the identical components that isn't meant for fire service use.  These other pumps cam be almost any color but red.  I have been inside pump mfg factories and have seen green, blue, orange but never a red one outside the dedicated space they use for the fire pump assembly and testing areas.  Most firefighters never see the inside of a pump mfg facility and my seeing the making and testing of fire pumps was because I was the Fire Prevention Division Chief and had to approve all fire pumps for the large buildings in town so their certification was something we had to take very seriously.

Thanks for all the info Kurt. Glad you said something about the color of the high pressure hose. The instructions called for it being yellow but I will change it to flat red (or flat black?) based on what you've taught me. The pump I will leave silver as it will be completely covered by the control panel anyway. Why is it the model manufacturers always seem to get the colors wrong on their instruction call-outs? 

Checking the fit as I go along. Painted the control panel today.

IMG_1372.thumb.jpg.31bc03895a485ba944e1139b94a1398f.jpgIMG_1373.thumb.jpg.c584590435d1bce1f850489858a7897d.jpg 

2 minutes ago, CDW said:

Why is it the model manufacturers always seem to get the colors wrong on their instruction call-outs? 

Because they are trying to fit the most common colors in the paint manufacturer they chose to list in the instructions..... and if this is what is happening, it is an oldie but a goodie.... Today they do a much better job as trying to get a decent look...

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

2 minutes ago, CDW said:

Only $1,500 bucks? Seems like it would be worth more than that just for scrap value. These are great looking trucks right here in these photos.

They draw a lot of eyes, and when cleaned up or even restored they are very pretty, but not too many people have the money to afford the upkeep.....

Boat stands for "Break Out Another Thousand" .....

FIRE Truck stands for "Fully Involved Retirement Expense" Truck....

Not a whole lot of people want to own one so an old retired pumper can be had real cheap.......

Quote:

Just now, Egilman said:

Because they are trying to fit the most common colors in the paint manufacturer they chose to list in the instructions..... and if this is what is happening, it is an oldie but a goodie.... Today they do a much better job as trying to get a decent look...

This is not a vintage kit. Produced as an original not too long ago. Gunze are the referenced paint numbers, and Gunze makes every color under the sun. Probably a greater selection than any other model paint manufacturer I know, so that does not seem a plausible excuse. I think it's just a lack of research and fact checking. 

43 minutes ago, Egilman said:

Open or closed cab Kurt?

Closed cab - pretty close to identical to the one you showed. 

Kurt Van Dahm

Director

NAUTICAL RESEARCH GUILD

www.thenrg.org

CLUBS

North Shore Deadeyes

Butch O'Hare - IPMS

2 minutes ago, CDW said:

I think it's just a lack of research and fact checking. 

Right on.  Lack of research - even a cursory look at photos would have helped the colors - except the pump being hidden from easy view.

I initially got up to walk over to my stash of kits when I realized this is a new kit - not a recycled AMT kit - enclosed jump seats are much more recent than the AMT kits.

Kurt Van Dahm

Director

NAUTICAL RESEARCH GUILD

www.thenrg.org

CLUBS

North Shore Deadeyes

Butch O'Hare - IPMS

6 minutes ago, CDW said:

I think it's just a lack of research and fact checking.

Actually, it's just being lazy, there are plenty of examples rolling around......

Quote:

3 minutes ago, kurtvd19 said:

I initially got up to walk over to my stash of kits when I realized this is a new kit - not a recycled AMT kit - enclosed jump seats are much more recent than the AMT kits.

It is a 2002 Eagle model, kit produced in 2006 so it is still current production, both model and real life.... Simple and pure laziness....

Quote:

EG, thanks for the pictures. I have some HO scale ALF close cab pumpers for car loads. They're resin kits. See the picture.

22349832_Pumperkit.jpg.58f20b3f6ef7fe8182370094a5e39cfe.jpg

Truck is maybe 2 inches long.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

I'm at the stage to begin the paint and body work for the cab and box. Will next lay on some primer, then white, red, and aluminum paints. There are a lot of decals and details to be added to the control panels. 

I want to start looking for suitable material to simulate the fire hoses that will be laid in the back of the truck. Need to make a trip to a well stocked fabric store.

DSCN3124.thumb.JPG.57e604de2e45fda70ebe8cd39de72c31.JPGDSCN3125.thumb.JPG.ac7ee9a93543e2be17c79c502a77ef87.JPGDSCN3126.thumb.JPG.4495fed86845041baa1f546f54551bad.JPGDSCN3127.thumb.JPG.43608c3b36bbc441b373f2160b7e86d8.JPGDSCN3129.thumb.JPG.e22cc2bd71fadf27b8757c50f6907b1f.JPGDSCN3130.thumb.JPG.560e04272e931ef83ff5a15371b6ce39.JPG

Look for flat shoelaces.  When the hose is packed into the hose bed it stands on edge.  I don't know what size shoelace to tell you but today they all use 3" hose for supply/attack lines many times with a "WYE" that branches off to two smaller lines - 1 1/2 to 1/34" dia. that is easier to get into a building, up stairs and around corners. 

Kurt Van Dahm

Director

NAUTICAL RESEARCH GUILD

www.thenrg.org

CLUBS

North Shore Deadeyes

Butch O'Hare - IPMS

3" braided line = 1/8th inch braided round dress shoelace, have to figure a way to get them flattened for storage in the back in the truck......  interesting problem.... I would think that 3/16" or 1/4" bias tape should replicate flattened hose very well....

Quote:

Look for flat shoelaces.

Another source could be 550 Paracord. It is available almost everywhere and is normally not all that expensive.

https://www.paracordplanet.com/top-colors-550-paracord/?sku=100 XPAR-MRLDGRN-&gclid=CjwKCAiA25v_BRBNEiwAZb4-ZfbuGbKNO0eZBQbN_rhVYmqzoNPaz4gR1SQaRj1aKYUbGtBVDMyJ3RoC2kgQAvD_BwE

Cut the ends for the length you want and pull the seven strands out of the outer sleeve and  you will have your hollow firehose that is easy to flatten or have round. It comes in many colors including white. 

Edited by lmagna

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

1 hour ago, lmagna said:

Another source could be 550 Paracord

Way to go Lou!

Perfect! I forgot all about that, makes great 4" hose in 1/24th scale....

Quote:

23 hours ago, CDW said:

In the photo above, that looks like it could be some type of a light elastic. Don't know much about fabrics.

Bet you can find what you need right here Craig...

https://www.wirecare.com/category/braided-sleeving?gclid=Cj0KCQiAoab_BRCxARIsANMx4S7tug-EzWTW5-4cOZh3GfRlBTI5cKgU_5T8daisY6lLlqmvR0RUOhIaAn6wEALw_wcB

Checkout the FLEXO® PET TIGHTWEAVE goes all the way down to 1/8th inch..... Perfect for 3" line....

13 different colors in the non tightweave FLEXO PET section which goes down to 1/16th inch....

Looks like just the ticket.....

Edited by Egilman

Quote:

Just now, Egilman said:

Bet you can find what you need right here Craig...

https://www.wirecare.com/category/braided-sleeving?gclid=Cj0KCQiAoab_BRCxARIsANMx4S7tug-EzWTW5-4cOZh3GfRlBTI5cKgU_5T8daisY6lLlqmvR0RUOhIaAn6wEALw_wcB

Checkout the FLEXO® PET TIGHTWEAVE goes all the way down to 1/8th inch..... Perfect for 3" line

Thanks!

It looks great, but I am wondering it it's supple enough to lay flat or if it will tend to retain a round shape? Wish I had a sample piece to see it.

https://www.wirecare.com/category/braided-sleeving/braided-sleeving-flame-retardant/flexo-clean-cut-fr-fray-resistant/ccf0.13tb-1-8-black-clean-cut-fr-10-ft-cuts

Edited by CDW

23 minutes ago, CDW said:

Thanks!

It looks great, but I am wondering it it's supple enough to lay flat or if it will tend to retain a round shape? Wish I had a sample piece to see it.

https://www.wirecare.com/category/braided-sleeving/braided-sleeving-flame-retardant/flexo-clean-cut-fr-fray-resistant/ccf0.13tb-1-8-black-clean-cut-fr-10-ft-cuts

Yeah it's PET so I don't know how well it will glue either.... it's like 4.00 for 10 feet so it's fairly cheap..... I do know that heat softens it.... so maybe some fashion of an ironing process between wax paper will flatten it if simple gravity doesn't do the job... But hey, it looks like braided hose and in the right sizes.... I'll still be looking to see if they make it in different materials.... I see they have the metal coverings as well they will flatten I'm sure but probably more expensive..... but I didn't check the sizes in that category....

Here ya go, tinned copper woven flats....

https://www.wirecare.com/category/braided-sleeving/metal-shielding-sleeving/tinned-copper-flat/mfn0-13sv-flexo-tinned-copper-flat-1-8-silver-10-ft-cuts

https://www.wirecare.com/category/braided-sleeving/metal-shielding-sleeving/tinned-copper-flat/mfn0-19sv-flexo-tinned-copper-flat-3-16-silver-10-ft-cuts

A bit more pricey over the PET....

And yes they do 3/16ths which is about what a flattened 3" hose would be in 1/24th.... easily paintable into any color you want....

Edited by Egilman

Quote:

Looking even nicer now its got some Red on it  - really nice work.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.