American LaFrance Eagle Fire Pumper - Trumpeter - 1:25 Scale

CDW

4 hours ago, CDW said:

I am wondering it it's supple enough to lay flat

Like EG says, I think you will find that an iron will do the trick. Just use a rolling pin on the metal stuff and then solder it here and there to make certain it stays flat. Speaking of soldering how about soldering wick?

https://www.digikey.com/en/products/detail/chemtronics/50-6-25/306991?utm_adgroup=Desoldering Braid%2C Wick%2C Pumps&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Shopping_Product_Soldering%2C Desoldering%2C Rework Products_NEW&utm_term=&utm_content=Desoldering Braid%2C Wick%2C Pumps&gclid=Cj0KCQiAoab_BRCxARIsANMx4S5RY_kIohU61_RDZmY9RG_NRLZohVNh_tW8JRx70sj1FWuMulvTDdcaAoJyEALw_wcB

Edited by lmagna

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

Actually the hose jacket is canvas and the texture is not real rough - remember the firefighters need to be able to drag it and rough ='s hard to drag.  It is a heavier canvass than used on roofs of boats.  I just looked at the roll of solder-off in my shop and it's way too coarse.   The texture will not be very noticeable at 1/24 or 1/25.  Smoother would be less noticed than too rough.  I forgot that some FD's use extruded hoses - not in this area though - smooth except for the longitudinal grooves. 

Check this suppliers photos - https://www.edarley.com/fire-hose/

They actually show yellow booster hose now!  Never saw any but it is made.

image.jpeg

Kurt Van Dahm

Director

NAUTICAL RESEARCH GUILD

www.thenrg.org

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS

CLUBS

Nautical Research & Model Ship Society of Chicago

Midwest Model Shipwrights

North Shore Deadeyes

The Society of Model Shipwrights

Butch O'Hare - IPMS

Okay, I put my thinking cap on and believe I may have come up with a solution for the hose. Going to do some more painting first, then experiment with an idea for scale hose. If some type of thin metallic flat stock was used to retain a flat shape, then covered with heat shrink, that just might make a convincing facsimile for fire hose. I have saved quite a bit of photo etch "sprues", and will try using them to cover with heat shrink to see how it looks. 

I could cut off some little sections of 1/8" ID brass tubing for the couplings.

Edited by CDW

Try gluing or soldering the hose fittings to the metal before the heat shrink is added and make a smaller shoulder on the fitting for the heat shrink to grasp

Kurt Van Dahm

Director

NAUTICAL RESEARCH GUILD

www.thenrg.org

CLUBS

North Shore Deadeyes

Butch O'Hare - IPMS

I have to say  - its Great having Kurt  sitting on on this build   -  Its an interesting build as It is  but also great having Kurt  chat on here 👍

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

50 ft. 

I offer this as a realistic appearing option - that might be much easier and I myself wouldn't hesitate to use the technique.

Maybe they do it differently in other areas but every place I have ever visited and looked at fire apparatus the hose beds are covered by removable covers.  Water resistant to waterproof canvas covers with easy release snaps or tabs that need to be turned90 degrees to lock in that cover the hose bed side to side and end to end and then hang down at the rear so the hose stays dry on the outside.  Dirt in the canvas covering will mildew and get grungy if allowed to get wet w/o being allowed to dry out.  Packed in the hose bed it doesn't dry out.

Model the rear of the hose bed like the photo used earlier.  Make a cover that covers the hose bed and shows just a bit of the rear end that is packed in - using about 10% of what you would need to fill the entire area.  Use a Styrofoam block behind the hose to "fill the bed"

Just like using a canvas cover on a life boat so you don't need to detail the interior.

Kurt Van Dahm

Director

NAUTICAL RESEARCH GUILD

www.thenrg.org

CLUBS

North Shore Deadeyes

Butch O'Hare - IPMS

Just now, Old Collingwood said:

I have to say  - its Great having Kurt  sitting on on this build   -  Its an interesting build as It is  but also great having Kurt  chat on here 👍

OC.

I agree 100%

Just now, kurtvd19 said:

50 ft. 

I offer this as a realistic appearing option - that might be much easier and I myself wouldn't hesitate to use the technique. 

Maybe they do it differently in other areas but every place I have ever visited and looked at fire apparatus the hose beds are covered by removable covers.  Water resistant to waterproof canvas covers with easy release snaps or tabs that need to be turned90 degrees to lock in that cover the hose bed side to side and end to end and then hang down at the rear so the hose stays dry on the outside.  Dirt in the canvas covering will mildew and get grungy if allowed to get wet w/o being allowed to dry out.  Packed in the hose bed it doesn't dry out.

Model the rear of the hose bed like the photo used earlier.  Make a cover that covers the hose bed and shows just a bit of the rear end that is packed in - using about 10% of what you would need to fill the entire area.  Use a Styrofoam block behind the hose to "fill the bed"

Just like using a canvas cover on a life boat so you don't need to detail the interior.

Yes, exactly right...no need to go crazy making hose, just enough to show it's there with the cover over the rest. Thanks!

Will have to give this paint some time to cure before I apply chrome trim, accessories, interior, and decals. In the back of the cab where it's got the diamond plate texture, will mask that off and paint it aluminum. The decals will be as per the box art. I received some alternate decal lettering for Philadelphia, Scranton, and Baltimore, but I prefer the quality of the kit decals, College Park. The alternate decal sheet appears too small, out of scale. Maybe it's 1:32 scale instead of 1:24 scale. 

IMG_1401.thumb.jpg.f89c977084d4f3e62c1068a17ef9f2fe.jpgIMG_1402.thumb.jpg.e8d75da228caccd03954b8e5eb6cbfd9.jpgIMG_1403.thumb.jpg.22b49e298ae1bcea9f44a814eb02c6fe.jpgIMG_1404.thumb.jpg.a0f7e29e3bcaade356e3aa1ab71b4b3d.jpg 

They were probably just as excited as if they were reeling in Jaws when the fish grabbed the hook!

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

Fish fry anyone? Well done by the lads.👍

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

The kit has a basic interior. For the most part, it cannot be seen while sitting on the shelf so I chose not to spend a lot of time trying to detail it all out. It's painted in a two-tone gray. Notice that some of the seats have the hollow seat backs so the fire fighters can be seated with their breathing apparatus on their backs.

IMG_1409.thumb.jpg.b49ba3083e3969e443363edd7abb0158.jpgIMG_1410.thumb.jpg.4329c0b3dff979b48b3cd99b75e9b94f.jpg

That's not great Craig, would a gentle heat take the warp out? Otherwise it's looking good!

Current builds;

Henry Ramey Upcher 1:25

Providence whaleboat- 1:25     HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

Non ship:  SBD-3 Dauntless 1:48 Hasegawa -FINISHED

That is a bummer. Like Edward says, maybe a little heat?

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

Just now, Edwardkenway said:

That's not great Craig, would a gentle heat take the warp out? Otherwise it's looking good!

Just now, Canute said:

That is a bummer. Like Edward says, maybe a little heat?

That may work. Clear plastic is very brittle and these are particularly thin. working a heat source trying to woo them into shape is risky. Once the paint on my coachwork is thoroughly dry, I may rather try masking them tightly in place while glue dries. I can force them into place, but it will take the glue to hold them in place afterward. 

Even heat and gentle massaging of the kit parts or replacement with thin flexible acrylic.... You should be able to bend the acrylic around the warped pieces to get the right shape, and you can pressure bend them into the right shape for gluing....

The other option for creating windshields is again using clear acrylic to make the replacements, the same as above, using .005 styrene rod or quarter round, build a frame around the opening and then install the flexible acrylic windows just like the real thing.... paint the styrene frames rubber to look like the black gasket that is used in real life to install them.....

Two best suggestions I have used.....

Current Build: F-86F-30 Sabre by Egilman - Kinetic - 1/32nd scale

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

Terminated Build: F-104C Starfighter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

"Relish Today, Ketchup Tomorrow"

soaking them in hot water should soften them enough to flex the warp out.......direct heat will deform them.  I hope you can fix 'em.......the model is coming along nicely........great job! :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

I used rubber bands to hold/force the windscreen panels into shape, seated against the frame rails then cemented them in place with liquid cement. It worked well with the only casualty when some cement found it's way onto one of the rubber bands due to capillary action then slightly defaced one windscreen. I think I can polish most of that out, but the windscreens themselves are in place and not warped now.

I can relax a bit now. Replacement parts from Trumpeter have to come through Stevens International (USA Distributor), and they are well known for their lack of customer support/service. In other words, fuggitaboutit. 

Off-Subject BUT, Does anyone know...did DeAgostini Model Space in the USA go out of business? All I can find now is their website in the UK.

But I did find now there is a USA website that is associated with Hachette: Agora Models

https://www.agoramodels.com/us/bismarck/#buy-bismarck

They run a business model similar to DeAgostini.

34 minutes ago, CDW said:

Off-Subject BUT, Does anyone know...did DeAgostini Model Space in the USA go out of business? All I can find now is their website in the UK.

But I did find now there is a USA website that is associated with Hachette: Agora Models

Wasn't they related somehow perhaps?

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

11 hours ago, CDW said:

https://www.model-space.com/us?gclid=CjwKCAiAirb_BRBNEiwALHlnD_5t0iACEvoeqkMW88xkqZHz7OWKNNJd0DqOIIIrHVdqnwluCXIGyRoCm3oQAvD_BwE

Current Build: F-86F-30 Sabre by Egilman - Kinetic - 1/32nd scale

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

Terminated Build: F-104C Starfighter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

"Relish Today, Ketchup Tomorrow"

Just now, Egilman said:

This is interesting. I opened a different browser and then this link worked for me. Before that, the browser I currently use most often gave an error message when I tried to open that link. That's why I was asking if DeAgostini had gone oob.

Fantastic work!  

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)