www.thenrg.org

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS

CLUBS

Nautical Research & Model Ship Society of Chicago

Midwest Model Shipwrights

North Shore Deadeyes

The Society of Model Shipwrights

Butch O'Hare - IPMS

I'd love to see a 50s era "hook and Ladder" truck. My uncle took me on a few rides on the tiller when I was a little guy. Needed them for all the mills and factories in town.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

Great job Craig!!  What an impressive build!  And I've learned that white and red are never easy colors to pull off, so all the more incredible!

On 1/10/2021 at 8:51 AM, Canute said:

I'd love to see a 50s era "hook and Ladder" truck. My uncle took me on a few rides on the tiller when I was a little guy. Needed them for all the mills and factories in town.

Funny, as I was looking through the pictures, I was thinking that I'd love to see Craig tackle the 1911 Christie's fire engine.  It's been issued by MPC and others in 1/12 scale.  Paul Koos - who many know from his fantastic Pocher DVDs - sells a DVD with lots of detail pictures taken of one in a museum.

image.png.b58226c1018591496c4605b28758b028.png

Edited by Landlubber Mike

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

Model Expo has a steam horse drawn pumper and a horse drawn ladder rig.  Really nice.  I have the pumper kit & it is super.

Kurt Van Dahm

Director

NAUTICAL RESEARCH GUILD

www.thenrg.org

CLUBS

North Shore Deadeyes

Butch O'Hare - IPMS

14 minutes ago, kurtvd19 said:

Model Expo has a steam horse drawn pumper and a horse drawn ladder rig.  Really nice.  I have the pumper kit & it is super.

You should do a build log Kurt.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

I have it all painted, some assembly done but after doing my analysis of the kit and instructions for Model Expo I had to put completing the kit on the back burner due to commissions and the NRG Chairmanship taking up all my time.  My term as Chairman comes to a close in February - maybe I can get back to it in the future.  Will still be on the board but without the extra duties of the Chairmanship.

Kurt Van Dahm

Director

NAUTICAL RESEARCH GUILD

www.thenrg.org

CLUBS

North Shore Deadeyes

Butch O'Hare - IPMS

superb looking model..........you really did a great job with the paint :)   nicely done!

hope you can get back to her Kurt.......I did see a kit some time ago ;)   I'd pull up a chair in a heartbeat!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Not exactly on everyone’s beaten path, but the old firehouse in Superior, Wisconsin is home to a Firefighting Museum, managed by the same organization that manages the SS Meteor Great Lakes Whaleback Steamship.

They have several of these old fire engines including a steam pumper like that posted above by Landlubber Mike.  

I don’t know the specifics of any of their equipment.  I once had an interest in fire trucks.  I had a fire house that had springs in the back.  When you opened the overhead doors in the front, several plastic fire trucks came speeding out.  My interest in this proved to be fickle as model boats  soon became an overwhelming interest.

Roger

Edited by Roger Pellett

• 2 months later...

Hello folks, I'll try to "revive" this topic as I just purchased the set and started planing.

Actually this is the second model I'm about to build, so I kind of hoped to get your expertise on this one. My first attempt was a Rosenbauer GFLF Simba 8x8, an airport crash truck that was used at Frankfurt Intl. Airport in Germany until the mid 00s. I had some issues with this, as it is not adressed to beginners, but in the end it worked quite okay, even though it took me months to finish it. I'll attach some pics of it.

Comming back to this one, I'd like to know if you have added hoses to the hose bed or not and - if you did so - how did you build them? I'm from Germany and found this manual on the internet. Looks good to me, this guy used some gift ribbon to build it. If you're interested I'll try my best to translate it for you. Even though the hoses are quite good looking, I'm missing the cupplings. Do you guys have any idea how to build and add them? 

I found the original Engine on the website of the CPVFD so I already decided to change some of the given colors to be closer to the original. 

I'm a rookie (this one will be my first time to use an air brush system for painting), so please be patient with me and my questions :D 

Thanks for your efforts!

Robin

DSC_0112.JPG

DSC_0111.JPG

Edited by ARFF

Robin, when you're ready to start, open your own log rather than jumping in on this one.  

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)