Regards from Spain

Gus M

Hello everyone.

I from Spain

I have come to this forum looking for information about models and how to start in the hobby.
The truth is that I have always been interested in naval modeling and I love the work I see from some of you and other sites.

The question is that I have been given four models, well, kits to assemble, three unopened and one started but the previous owner told me that he left because it was not going well and finally gave me the four.

They are these:

Scotish Maid by Artesania Latina, started, hull only.

New

One that is a section of the ship San Francisco of Artesania Latina.
Another one is a Providence Whale Boat, small, from Artesania Latina.
And another one, the HMS Terror of the Ochre brand that was bought at the end of last year and unopened it.

With this that I tell you, I have bought some tools that I have been looking for on the internet in bloigs, etc. and I have also adapted a place to work with them.

I have read that ideally I should start with the Providence Whaler because it is for beginners.

Could you give me some advice on this and which one to start with or follow the Scottish Maid?

Thanks in advance and I hope to learn a lot with you.

Regards

Greetings

Gus

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Current build log:

San Francisco Cross Section

Welcome to MSW, Gixli.  I would recommend starting with the Providence Whale Boat as there are no masts and you'll learn much the model.  We do suggest you start a build log as it's a great way to document your build and also meet other modelers.

I did a search for the Whale Boat and found these results:  https://modelshipworld.com/search/?&q=Providence Whale Boat&search_and_or=and&sortby=relevancy

And there's this one... which is finished.   

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Welcome from the west side of Canada, you will find lots of great help and advice from the members here.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

Many thanks, much appreciate all comments fro wellcoming, @mtaylor , @Jim Lad , @JJT , @michael mott and @Keith Black

@mtaylor 

I have watched and read the threads carefully, they really are fantastic, thank you very much.

I have noticed that it seems that Artesania Latina does not make the kits very well or you have to "discover and guess things".

I'm a little "scared" to start with a kit and then I will not be able to do it, my experience is null in this and I have to learn everything.

Maybe I will consider buying one of OcCre to get started, I have seen this one and it seems that they are easier to work with, from what I have read (and I like it more than the Providence). And not is  expensive

To approach the HMS Terror that my friend gave me, I have to make at least a few, two or three before lower level.

https://www.occre.com/modelismo-naval/barcos/san-juan.html

What do you think about this? would it be a good idea?

Thank you in advance

Greetings

Gus

Greetings

Gus

Current build log:

thank you @JJT 

today I decided to buy this San Juan de OcCre to start, from everything I have seen, I am more convinced to start, I hope it does not take long to arrive.

Greetings

Gus

Current build log:

Good choice, Gixli.  Not much rigging to overwhelm you.  Do plan on using the resources here such as planking tutorials located here:  https://modelshipworld.com/forum/98-planking-downloads-and-tutorials-and-videos/  and open a build log when you have the kit and are ready to start.

And also look at the other builds for this model.  The search feature here will be very helpful in finding build logs and also getting answers to questions.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

13 hours ago, mtaylor said:

Good choice, Gixli.  Not much rigging to overwhelm you.  Do plan on using the resources here such as planking tutorials located here:  https://modelshipworld.com/forum/98-planking-downloads-and-tutorials-and-videos/  and open a build log when you have the kit and are ready to start.

And also look at the other builds for this model.  The search feature here will be very helpful in finding build logs and also getting answers to questions.

Thanks @mtaylor, yes, I will open a build log when I start, for the moment I am still preparing the workspace.

Thanks for the link to the videos and pdfs, I have already downloaded them all and translated them into Spanish to read them more easily.

The video sfantasticos, also have subtitles which can be understood in Castilian, it's amazing how well this man works, @Chuck

Greetings

Gus

Current build log:

hello, sorry to be so annoying with my questions

After more than a week of introducing myself in a Spanish forum about naval modeling, today, finally, I have received some answer, two in particular.

And they make me have doubts, even more.

They tell me that the best option would be to start with the San Francisco section because the difficulty is less than the other two options for this, the Providence or the San Juan de Ocre.

This is the one I have been given

1779609415_71fjZWZLML._AC_SL1392_.jpg.1f341a82c991359afbc08d8c1fec7a77.jpg

I have found this compilation of @Osmosis but he has not finished it, he seems to have left the project, and it really seems to me that it does not involve a great difficulty, but it is only my opinion without experience.

Could you give me an opinion on this, @mtaylor @JJT @Keith Black @michael mott or @Jim Lad if it would be easier to start with this one and then do the other two before tackling a bigger project?

right now, I'm a little confused about which one to start with and not give up, I really want to get it right.

thanks in advance to all support

Gus

Greetings

Gus

Current build log:

Gus, IMHO I'd go with the San Juan. It's not an expensive kit and if in your first attempt it doesn't go as you had wished, get another inexpensive kit like the San Juan and try again. One thing this hobby requires is patience, take a deep breath and jump in. I wish you the very best with whatever one you choose. 

Welcome to MSW, if you are still looking, Amati do some nice entry vessels, as do Billings, but the san Juan will fit the bill very nice

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

1 hour ago, Keith Black said:

Gus, IMHO I'd go with the San Juan. It's not an expensive kit and if in your first attempt it doesn't go as you had wished, get another inexpensive kit like the San Juan and try again. One thing this hobby requires is patience, take a deep breath and jump in. I wish you the very best with whatever one you choose. 

t6hanks you @Keith Black, the San Juan has not arrived yet but is on its way, according to the Amazon register, I still have time to think about it, advice is much appreciated

Greetings

Gus

Current build log:

1 hour ago, Kevin said:

Welcome to MSW, if you are still looking, Amati do some nice entry vessels, as do Billings, but the san Juan will fit the bill very nice

Thank you very much @Kevin, but I am not looking for anything else at the moment, if you look at my first post, I commented that I have been given these three already.

New:

And another one, the HMS Terror of the Ochre brand that was bought at the end of last year and unopened it.

Also, when I checked different compilation threads, I saw that La Providence was a bit complicated for me and I bought this one to start with, El San Juan de OcCre.

Now I doubt which one to start with because in a Spanish forum, after more than a week of asking, today they answered me that the easiest would be the San Francisco Section and after seeing the thread of @Osmosis it doesn't seem too complicated, at least until you get to the rigging.

thank you for your advice

Edited by Gixli

Greetings

Gus

Current build log:

Hello Gus, I am not really in a position to advise on a kit choice because I am not a kit builder. I would agree with the comments by Keith though, one builds confidence and skill incrementally, so starting with less complex and less expensive outlay of materials will give you the ability to begin the process with less costs in time and finances. 

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

1 hour ago, Gixli said:

Thank you very much @Kevin, but I am not looking for anything else at the moment, if you look at my first post, I commented that I have been given these three already.

New:

Also, when I checked different compilation threads, I saw that La Providence was a bit complicated for me and I bought this one to start with, El San Juan de OcCre.

Now I doubt which one to start with because in a Spanish forum, after more than a week of asking, today they answered me that the easiest would be the San Francisco Section and after seeing the thread of @Osmosis it doesn't seem too complicated, at least until you get to the rigging.

thank you for your advice

sorry i did read your post incorrectly

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

1 hour ago, michael mott said:

Hello Gus, I am not really in a position to advise on a kit choice because I am not a kit builder. I would agree with the comments by Keith though, one builds confidence and skill incrementally, so starting with less complex and less expensive outlay of materials will give you the ability to begin the process with less costs in time and finances. 

Michael

thank you for your response @michael mott

it's not about making an investment, I already have almost everything, maybe, as I go along, some tools or wood, but little else.

now it's about my confusion to start with one of the 5 models I  have, the San Juan de OcCre is on its way (this has been really my only investment so far).

my doubts were these:

The Providence, after seeing threads in this forum where the project was abandoned and many complaints about the material, I decided to leave it and postpone it for when I have more experience, it seems to me that it is more complicated than what they say in Artesania Latina.

now it's a matter of which one to start with of these two:

Section of San Francisco (I have put above a photo of the one I have that a friend gave me) I have seen a thread in the forum of @Osmosis and it does not seem complicated to me to begin with
o
San Juan de OcCre which is on its way to arrive in a few days. However, in a Spanish forum, after many days without answer, today they tell me that better the San Francisco Section .

So now I have the doubt of which is better to initiate me of the two, both I like and both seem to me that I could face them without giving up. 

The idea would be to be able to build at least the 5 kits that I have now.

by the way, your work is impressive

Edited by Gixli

Greetings

Gus

Current build log:

Gixli,

I suggest first, don't panic.   Look over the cross-section kit and instructions.   Once you have all the models in hand, look them over again also.   All kits and model types have their advantages and disadvantages.  They also require different skill levels.   

From here, I would still say start simple with the Providence (no masts) or the Cross-Section.  Either one will give you skills for more complex models.  

Good luck on your choice.  Once you've picked the one, open a log and let the learning process begin.  There will be successes and failures along the way and re-works of bits previously done, but even the most skilled builder has reworks in the process.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

• 3 weeks later...

Welcome!

Edited by GrandpaPhil

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

• 1 year later...

Hello again everyone, first of all, apologies for my absence, or not giving news, but my spirits and health did not help me.

After a long time in which I have had many serious health problems and some personal ones, it has been a long and hard time that has kept me away from many of the things that I liked and wanted the most. Now they have retired me due to my health pathologies, although I am still young (52 years old) I hope that now, after finishing treatments and achieving stability, a very tough judicial process with the SPANISH STATE to achieve retirement, now I am retired and with time for me, my family and my hobbys, with my health is good, of course,  as I said, I hope to have more time to dedicate to the things that I feel like doing, take care of my health, logically,  reading, watching movies, and learning to make ship models is something that I always wanted to do, I have a lot to read and see to catch up, I will do it little by little.

I reiterate my apologies, but really, this has been a very difficult path for me and my spirits were very low and I didn't want to do anything other than think about being able to recover.

PS I'm replying again in this thread because I don't think it's necessary to open a new one.

Greetings

Gus

Current build log:

1 hour ago, Gus Martinez said:

very tough judicial process with the SPANISH STATE

I had a similar experience years ago with resolving a worker's compensation claim. Such things do certainly try one's patience.

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Hawker Hurricane

3 hours ago, ccoyle said:

I had a similar experience years ago with resolving a worker's compensation claim. Such things do certainly try one's patience.

Is terrible..thank you for your comnent

Greetings

Gus

Current build log:

:sign:

Start so you can Finish !!

Finished:            The  Santa Maria -Amati 1:65, La Pinta- Amati 1:65, La Nina -Amati 1:65 ,                                                 Hannah Ship in Bottle-Amati 1:300 : The Sea of Galilee Boat-Scott Miller-1:20

Current Build:   The Mayflower: Amati 

On Hold:            HMS Pegasus: Amati