Atlantica Sail training ketch by Wintergreen – Scale 1:30 - POF - A smack of English heritage

12 hours ago, KeithAug said:

You haven't posted for a while. Im hoping that it is because you are too busy enjoying life. Best wishes

Keith, that is indeed true!

Albeit, the first time after surgery I had troubles standing up concentrating for any period of time due some uneasiness in the "behind". Now I'm fine though.

But as you guess, I have a lot of life to live now. Got myself a brand new mountainbike and the sailboat is also now in the water. The boat was on the hard the entire last season.

I have actually contemplated over the build and realized what would have been "bobo" down the line. 

Anyhow, I'll see if I can get myself in the mood for building anytime soon or not.

Happy modelling!

Håkan

Current build: Atlantica by Wintergreen

Previous builds

Kågen by Wintergreen

Regina by Wintergreen

Sea of Galilee boat, first century, sort of...

Billing Boats Wasa

Gallery:

Kågen (Cog, kaeg) by Wintergreen - 1:30Billing Boats Regina - 1:30Billing Boats Dana

Hakan, Given the choices i think I would concentrate of the sailing. The model can wait for bad weather days. Great to hear your are on a rapidly upward health trajectory. 

Keith

Current Build:-

Cangarda (Steam Yacht) - Scale 1:24

Previous Builds:-

Schooner Germania (Nova) - Scale 1:36

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/19848-schooner-germania-nova-by-keithaug-scale-136-1908-2011/

Schooner Altair by KeithAug - Scale 1:32 - 1931

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/12515-schooner-altair-by-keithaug-scale-132-1931/?p=378702

J Class Endeavour by KeithAug - Amati - Scale 1:35 - 1989 after restoration.

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/10752-j-class-endeavour-by-keithaug-amati-scale-135-1989-after-restoration/?p=325029

Other Topics

Nautical Adventures

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13727-nautical-adventures/?p=422846

That's truly great news, Hakan.  I'm with the others... enjoy real life and save the model for rainy days.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

14 hours ago, mtaylor said:

enjoy real life and save the model for rainy days.

Just for clarity I am certain Mark is referring to the MODEL BOAT.

Keith

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/19848-schooner-germania-nova-by-keithaug-scale-136-1908-2011/

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/12515-schooner-altair-by-keithaug-scale-132-1931/?p=378702

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/10752-j-class-endeavour-by-keithaug-amati-scale-135-1989-after-restoration/?p=325029

Other Topics

Nautical Adventures

20 hours ago, KeithAug said:

Just for clarity I am certain Mark is referring to the MODEL BOAT.

Roger that!

Happy modelling!

Håkan

Previous builds

Kågen by Wintergreen

Regina by Wintergreen

Billing Boats Wasa

Gallery:

Kågen (Cog, kaeg) by Wintergreen - 1:30Billing Boats Regina - 1:30Billing Boats Dana

59 minutes ago, Wintergreen said:

Roger that!

Is that like "Roger the Cabin Boy" from Captain Pugwash?

Keith

Other Topics

Nautical Adventures

Never heard of him, so I had to some reading up on the subject.

And no, Captain Horatio Pugwash has not been aired on Sweden television. I think I'm old enough to know that since being raised by "Fem myror är fler än fyra elefanter" (that will due for a funny translation) which was a 70's children show that educated us toddlers in subjects like "above", "below", "in front of", "behind". Memory games, and the interesting characters of "Spara" and "Slösa" (two females, one economic and the other spending).

For the audience, my knowledge about Pugwash is down to Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Captain_Pugwash

The page contains some useful strong language to use when things not go to plan 😄 

Happy modelling!

Håkan

Previous builds

Kågen by Wintergreen

Regina by Wintergreen

Billing Boats Wasa

Gallery:

Glad you are feeling better Hakan, hopefully no more bumpy roads. You are building a might nice model but indeed, enjoy yourself and leave things for later on. As Mark says, both the wood and us will be waiting patiently.

All the best

Vaddoc

• 3 months later...

Hi all,

Just to let you know that I'm still around and slowly turning my attention to the shop again as the days grow shorter.

Updates to come.

Happy modelling!

Håkan

Previous builds

Kågen by Wintergreen

Regina by Wintergreen

Billing Boats Wasa

Gallery:

Excellent, nice to hear from you Hakan! I hope things have settled and previous issues are now behind you.

Hi all, first real update for the season.

Okay, so the potential "bobo" was the arrangement for the bowsprit. 

The drawing only show one post but luckily I was a bit slow to build during the spring and had a look in the book. Of course there should be two posts to support the bowsprit.

20230902191111.jpg.a967b1cc3c29ce14ab0396aa1554b472.jpg20230902_113954.jpg.8b63812e64f21fac3509471ec8087cb1.jpg

So, some more bracing was needed as well as a step for the heel of the second post.

Tow pictures showing the small progress that in no way correlates to the hours it took. But, hey, that's true for every part of a scratch build right?

20230902_093834.jpg.6a36e02d2dc0ef931a8831bac19ad06e.jpg20230902_093753.jpg.ea27ab66bcc53462453680a33ffb53a1.jpg

I will leave them there and come back later for detailing. Note, only dry fitted at this time. 

Now on to the garboard...

Happy modelling!

Håkan

Previous builds

Kågen by Wintergreen

Regina by Wintergreen

Billing Boats Wasa

Gallery:

Hello Håkan

Greetings, this is a very special build of a remarkable yacht. I haven't been following the forum closely recently, & this shows what I've been missing. I hope that you got some good sailing in during your summer. Best wishes & I look forwards to updates.

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/4/2023 at 12:46 PM, Mark Pearse said:

I hope that you got some good sailing in during your summer.

Mark, that depends on preferences. Yes, four days of marvelous sailing, then the engine gave in. We were counting on at least 25-30 days of sailing 😞 

Over to the build.

Painstakingly slow this planking business. Last time I planked a hull was over 30 yrs ago. Glad I already decided to paint the boat so I can hide the imperfections (because there are, trust me).

I also don't bother to have a tidy workshop so you other guys out there won't feel so bad about yours. 😄 

20230922_200642.thumb.jpg.83a310d79c8096feacf1ceab62148052.jpg

20230922_200733.jpg.a3dac9d4b47ede78cf5ac3967ac1c6ee.jpg

20230922_200803.jpg.fb180fe306738d1ef8f4bba88e8ef724.jpg

Cheers!

Happy modelling!

Håkan

Previous builds

Kågen by Wintergreen

Regina by Wintergreen

Billing Boats Wasa

Gallery:

On 9/22/2023 at 7:28 PM, Wintergreen said:

Last time I planked a hull was over 30 yrs ago

It certainly doesn't show Hakan! Already we see some very nice lines. The last plank has a good 60 degree twist! Beautiful work. I don't see any tick strips, and so I wonder what your method is here?

Andy

'You're gonna need a bigger boat!'

Completed Build: Orca from the film 'Jaws'.

Current Build: Sailing Trawler Vigilance BM76

Thank you John, that is true. We are our own worst critics.

Thanks also for the likes guys.

21 hours ago, FlyingFish said:

Beautiful work. I don't see any tick strips, and so I wonder what your method is here?

Thank you Andy. I am not quite sure what you mean. In case of spiling, that is needed for the upper part of the transom because those planks twist in a very unnatural way. In the bow it is more a question of keeping a firm eye on the lay of the planks. They have a tendency to dip down when looked on from a front. Also, I try to stick to the mentioned number of strakes from the book and hence I know the width of the planks midships and at the bow.

But basically, I'm just wingin' it 😄  

Happy modelling!

Håkan

Previous builds

Kågen by Wintergreen

Regina by Wintergreen

Billing Boats Wasa

Gallery:

What a beautiful build Häkan, its been a pleasure to look into. I`m sad that I did`nt notice this log here before

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

On 9/25/2023 at 6:45 PM, Wintergreen said:

I am not quite sure what you mean

Tick strips are the marks made on the outside of each frame denoting the plank widths. Made by dividing the outside frame length by the number of strakes. You seem to be managing just fine without them!

Andy

'You're gonna need a bigger boat!'

Completed Build: Orca from the film 'Jaws'.

Current Build: Sailing Trawler Vigilance BM76

Ah, I see Andy @FlyingFish, well, I do measure the gap and divide by the number of strakes left to fit. I also know that the thorough practice is to use lines or strips and dividing the hull in sections as to have a nice run of all planks. That is for the next build though... Right now I'm more interested in having a reasonably fair (i.e not perfect) run of the planks.

Happy modelling!

Håkan

Previous builds

Kågen by Wintergreen

Regina by Wintergreen

Billing Boats Wasa

Gallery:

On 9/26/2023 at 4:47 PM, Mirabell61 said:

What a beautiful build Häkan, its been a pleasure to look into. I`m sad that I did`nt notice this log here before

Thank you for the kind words Nils and don't worry, it is still a long time left of building at my current speed (or lack thereof).

Happy modelling!

Håkan

Previous builds

Kågen by Wintergreen

Regina by Wintergreen

Billing Boats Wasa

Gallery:

Not much to show really, but I decided to break the monotony of planking with another exciting task, tree-nailing 😄

Well, not that drawing bamboo and drilling myriads of small holes is less monotone, but anyway, better do it section by section.

Holes are marked with a pointy awl before drilling and holes are about 6-7 mm deep to stop short in the frame.

For planking I use diluted regular carpenters white glue and for the tree nails it's CA, medium viscosity for any that wonder.

20230929_180425.thumb.jpg.9a6c82336f11e657bfcefb0213dadc6a.jpg

And with tree nails, or trunnels. However, on the real ship it was bolts with nut and washers.

20230930_184228.thumb.jpg.6d0838a7d14f598c9a227c435aa19991.jpg

Back to the shed.

Happy modelling!

Håkan

Previous builds

Kågen by Wintergreen

Regina by Wintergreen

Billing Boats Wasa

Gallery:

• 2 weeks later...

Hello to all, thanks for likes and comments along the way. 🙂 

Planking along here. Just thought that I would show my take on the spiling business. It is not unique, in fact, it is what Chuck shows in one of his planking tutorials.

It goes like this...

1. Use quite broad, frosted tape and run a pencil along the edge of the previous plank.

20231011_181913.jpg.ee5d0b8bb216da948ddfc1ec75fd12fe.jpg

2. Since the sides should be more or less identical, I work the planks in pair. Put the tape on the plank and also take a short strip around the ends to keep them together.

20231011_181953.jpg.18f8479ceac1496794d91411920745cf.jpg

3. Over to the gigantic band-saw and cut along the scribbled line.

20231011_182228.jpg.e36e93cc7d1fd2fde90f1164346bbaf7.jpg

4. Since it is a bit wavy, sanding is needed to smooth the curve out. Here you can see my contraption for holding planks and other narrow stuff while planing or sanding.
20231011_182607.thumb.jpg.1c8afa1305bc9a09c50fcce380c65e51.jpg

5. Over to the band-saw again and cut the planks down to width, or more likely, a bit over sized, but closer to spec at least. With a short support on the band-saw fence equal width is easy to maintain over curved stock.

20231011_182924.jpg.4144093396b39322b88d1e53e58a15cc.jpg

6. After that, more sanding and now down to specification. It is a bit of a struggle since the planks spring down under pressure, so care must be taken to have support and not to sand away too much.

20231011_182701.jpg.5eb808639ff93e0048b81aeb6dfb55ca.jpg

7. And finally, after a steam bath, glued and clamped in place. Holes drilled for treenails. It doesn't really show on the picture but extensive care is taken to have the plank sit firmly in the rabbet and also beveled to sit tight against the previous strake. 11 strakes done, 12 to go... yay, almost at half way!

20231014_202904.jpg.4ffafd0d27f045c3e027099da313fdde.jpg

Now it's time for some WC Rugby. All Blacks against Ireland in quarter final 2. It will be a humdinger of a match (we hope :-D) 

And yes, It's All Blacks all the way, of course!

Cheers!

Happy modelling!

Håkan

Previous builds

Kågen by Wintergreen

Regina by Wintergreen

Billing Boats Wasa

Gallery:

I'm sorry John, it just slipped my tungoe. Let me rephrase...

Watching some rugby. It seems to be green against black and for rhe moment one team has more points than the other. May the best team win!

Happy modelling!

Håkan

Previous builds

Kågen by Wintergreen

Regina by Wintergreen

Billing Boats Wasa

Gallery: