Retired and ready to build my first model!

lraymo

Greetings! Love this website. Amazing info. I read several members blogs for the Lowell Grand Banks Dory (Model Shipways) and the kit looked like the one for me, so I've purchased it and made it as far as opening the box!  I'm going to start a build log (although I'm not quite sure how to do that!)  Any advice?

Meanwhile, I'm going to go read some more logs... I'm kinda scared to get started (so I went out and bought some more tools recommended in the instructions, but now I've got to bite the bullet and start the project!)

Welcomed! Have fun with your first build and don't sweat the details, there's so much to learn just by doing.

To start a build log, just go to the main MSW page, scroll down until you see Members' Build Logs >> Build Logs for Ship Model Kits and click on the era your chosen kit fits into (such as 1851-1900). Then, just above where all the build log links start, you'll see big black button labeled "Start New Topic". Click that and it'll prompt  you to fill in a title, after which you just start entering your first post. Be sure to read the rules for naming your build log as the site has standardized conventions.

Sounds scary but it isn't. One other bit of advice, try to be as detailed as you can in your build log and use photos, especially when you have questions. We can only see what you share with us!

Welcome! Nothing to be scared of here - just do what you are doing: look at logs and start building.  Sometimes I learn enough from others to avoid mistakes, sometimes I don’t.  Sometimes I do what the kit instructions say, sometimes I don’t (and not always by accident). Oh, and I love buying tools. I find the Sunday-night ritual of posting to my log really enjoyable.  I photograph as I’m going during the week and then instead of clearing my inbox, get my log up to date.  And I agree with Eric - take lots of photographs.

cheers, Mike

Welcome to MSW. It is no surprise that there are a few (!!!!!) other retired folks here so just get comfortable and settle in.

Looking forward to a build log, have fun 👍.

Bruce

🌻

STAY SAFE

A model shipwright and an amateur historian are heads & tails of the same coin

current builds:

HMS Berwick 1775, 1/192 scratchbuild; a Slade 74 in the Navy Board style

Mediator sloop, 1/48 - an 18th century transport scratchbuild 

French longboat - CAF - 1/48, on hold

8 minutes ago, druxey said:

read and understand the instructions first!

...as with all things.  😗  Sometimes I venture off the beaten path and do step 5 before step 3, later to find out why 3 is before 5. :default_wallbash:

With that in mind using wood glue rather than CA (super glue) and have some rubbing alcohol at the ready.  This can be used to unglue a mistake (or as I like to call it, a learning experience) so you can give it another go.

Chuck Seiler
San Diego Ship Modelers Guild
Nautical Research Guild

Current Build:: Colonial Schooner SULTANA (scratch from Model Expo Plans), Hanseatic Cog Wutender Hund, John Smith Shallop
Completed:  Missouri Riverboat FAR WEST (1876) Scratch, 1776 Gunboat PHILADELPHIA (Scratch 1/4 scale-Model Shipways plans)

Welcome to MSW,

As you can tell you have found the best model ship forum around and have aready been give some good advice.

Not a lot I can add. Except to say enjoy your retirement and take your time, no reason to rush. I retired 15 months ago and am loving the time I have to work on the model. just afew hours a day and you soon have a decent amount of work done.

Paul

In work

Amati-rms-titanic-1912-1250

Unfinished kit

Revell Container-ship-colombo-express

Finished

AL -  King of the Mississippi

AL-Sanson

Iraymo, welcome to MSW. Enjoy yourself, wishing you the best with your first build. 

:piratebo5:

:sign:

Regards, Patrick

Finished :  Soleil Royal Heller 1/100   Wasa Billing Boats   Bounty Revell 1/110 plastic (semi scratch)   Pelican / Golden Hind  1/45 scratch

Current build :  Mary Rose 1/50 scratch

Gallery Revell Bounty  Pelican/Golden hind 1/45 scratch

To do Prins Willem Corel, Le Tonnant Corel, Yacht d'Oro Corel, Thermopylae Sergal 

Shore leave,  non ship models build logs :  

ADGZ M35 funkwagen 1/72    Einhets Pkw. Kfz.2 and 4 1/72   Autoblinda AB40 1/72   122mm A-19 & 152mm ML-20 & 12.8cm Pak.44 {K8 1/2} 1/72   10.5cm Howitzer 16 on Mark. VI(e)  Centurion Mk.1 conversion   M29 Weasel 1/72     SAM6 1/72    T26 Finland  T26 TN 1/72  Autoprotetto S37 1/72     Opel Blitz buses 1/72  Boxer and MAN trucks 1/72   Hetzer38(t) Starr 1/72    

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Nothing more I can add, except welcome to MSW and enjoy the ride.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Thanks for the warm welcome and words of encouragement!  I've started (and already made mistakes), but more on that in my blog, which I'm going to go set up now, and really looking forward to this new adventure!

Uh oh.  I just posted my build log, but i put it in the wrong place!  (I put it in the "Scratch" forum, but I should've put it in the "Kit" forum!)

Since I'm just starting, I'm going to delete it and start it again in the right place!  

5 minutes ago, lraymo said:

Uh oh.  I just posted my build log, but i put it in the wrong place!  (I put it in the "Scratch" forum, but I should've put it in the "Kit" forum!)

Since I'm just starting, I'm going to delete it and start it again in the right place!  

It happens my friend and welcome to the fun!!

5 minutes ago, Maliba1025 said:

It happens my friend and welcome to the fun!!

Thanks, I can't believe I screwed it up, but its in the right place now.  All part of the learning process!  And I'm really surprised at how much fun I'm having with this!

Be careful what you wish for.

Chuck Seiler
San Diego Ship Modelers Guild
Nautical Research Guild

Current Build:: Colonial Schooner SULTANA (scratch from Model Expo Plans), Hanseatic Cog Wutender Hund, John Smith Shallop
Completed:  Missouri Riverboat FAR WEST (1876) Scratch, 1776 Gunboat PHILADELPHIA (Scratch 1/4 scale-Model Shipways plans)