HMS Pegasus 1776 by Mirabell61 - FINISHED - scale 1:64 - 16-gun sloop

Build log part 86

taking plans for positioning the ships boat, here dry fit trials.

There will be two spare topmast spars horizontal over the fore-ballustrade and the main gallows, on which the boat shall rest. The main stay-sail between the two masts is arranged and rigged in hight to enable free flying to either side without fouling the boat, and the hight between deck and the horizontal spare masts allows sufficient full hight crew`s move on the gun deck

Nils

post-3445-0-54871500-1429950748_thumb.jpg

the boat will be placed with a little assymetric offset to the port side I think

post-3445-0-45673600-1429950783_thumb.jpg

the spare topmasts here are only interim dummies....

post-3445-0-99630200-1429950786_thumb.jpg

the lowest stay-sail can swing free well above the boat

post-3445-0-42484700-1429950823_thumb.jpg

the boats bow in the background  peeping through belfry stool and the vertical lines

post-3445-0-56957700-1429950827_thumb.jpg

Hight for crew on gundeck is sufficient, even with hats on.....

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Hi Nils - as you were kind enough to visit my log, I couldn't resist having a look at your builds, and I'm really impressed. Such wonderful work!

Thank you very much Jbwok,

I`l be looking at your progress with HMS Warrior with interest and wish you ongoing good success with it

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

Nils,

I haven't been saying much as I've run out of words...  but your model is incredible and wonderful.

Mark.

I thank you very much for your nice appreciative comment and you`re always wellcome to drop in for catching up.....

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Many thanks Yancovitch,

for dropping in to my log and your kind appreciation, you`re always wellcome....

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Hi Nils

Just had the opportunity to spend a few days at Venice and to visit the Museo Storico Navale there. (The admiralty including one of the junior admirals went shopping in the meantime – a somehow costly but altogether usable arrangement.)

Among a lot of interesting ship models they had two with full sails and braced yards. One had the yards attached directly to the mast and therefore rather brutally distorted shrouds on the lee side. This did look unnatural. The other fine model had the yards away from the mast by at least one mast diameter and the lee side of the yard resting on the hardly displaced shrouds. This did look quite natural. I remember you raising the question how to do this and I tried to find out your solution in your pictures but got lost in the wealth of details.

How do you fix the yards now?

Regards

Peter

Hello Peter,

very kind of you for using that opportunity in Venice and following up to the yard arrangement when bracing........., Thank you very much !

This is how I did it....

As unfortunately neigther Lees`s nor Lennarth`s highlight this point in their books, I did it by the truss-tackles, (loosening the weather side and tightening the leeward Truss until the yard gently touches the most fore leeward shroud), The pics will show....

At The leeward side the yard comes to fit about in the vertical level where the catharpin sits, just under the futtock shrouds, this is sort of a waist in the shrouds and allows maximum bracing on leeward side

In the vertical hight the yard is securely positioned by sling and jeers. I trust it looks quite realistic

I know in the meantime that also on some british ships the first one or two shrouds on each side had an integrated additional tackle to loosten these perticular 2 first shrouds, so they do`nt foul with the yard. In the german version of Wolfram zu Mondfelds publication (in case you have.... this is also shown on page 301 ). It was too late for me to adopt that at time of building...

Mostly the modelers do`nt brace the yards, so this point dos`nt raise questions for the unbraced....

Nils

post-3445-0-65133800-1430155903_thumb.jpg

here the weather side truss allows the yard to move a Forward distance at appr. a masts diam. (corresponds exactly with what you noticed in the museum)

post-3445-0-08857800-1430155899_thumb.jpg

Here the yard touching the first shroud, but not fouling it, in hight of the catharpin

post-3445-0-04690700-1430155907_thumb.jpg

under running # 3 on the scetch drawing (Mondfeld) it shows the first two shrouds ready for to fit an additional tackle, so the deadeye lacings at the channel need`nt be loosend as well

Edited by Mirabell61

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Thank you very much Bob,

I gladly would like to return the appreciation when sighting your outstanding "Essex" rigging Job, especialy when there are tricky details, and to see......Aaah, thats how he did it / solved  the point...

Cheers

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Thank you very much Thomas,

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Nils -- The point you and Peter discuss here clarifies something I'd wondered about on my last build as I was figuring out how to fix the yards.  It is interesting, and is now one of those details I can only hope to remember whenever I next get around to the rigging phase (hmm, a rough calculation would put it around 2018  :huh: ). 

Cheers,

Martin

Current Build:  HMS FLY 1776

Previous Builds:  Rattlesnake 1781

Prince de Neufchatel

Thank you Martin,

at the time I stood before this point, there was unfortunately no advise available, but I knew Peter`s mind went pregnant with the thought....., and you`re right, luckily now its solved

I`m sure that one is saved in your mind, If you have doubts, you can make yourself a Little mock up mast and Yard dummy with sling and trusses, so first : you did it and second : it stays in mind for your "Fly" build sooner or later anyhow   (do`nt take it seriously,  smile....)

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Hi Nils,

Just looking at all the rigging detail on your finely crafted Pegasus, makes me cringe at the prospect of rigging my VOC ship.  I sure hope to come close to what you have accomplished.

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

Hi Piet,

thanks for your word,.....

I just had a look at your current Project "Surabaya", a very fine looking model, and all in own design, hat off, its going to be a beautiful representant for the VOC fleet. I also liked your introduction thereto....

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Obsolete spanker sail...

dear fellow Swan Class modelers in 1:64 scale

I have here one obsolete, complete self sewn spanker sail (mizzen mast) for "Pegasus" or "Fly", with bolt rope all around, reef- and reinforcement patches at the rigging corner points.

It has become obsolete because I changed the cloth widths, ducks (from 18" to 24" ) on my model. The sail has 18" cloth width, resp. 7 mm for the model`s sail

I shall give this away for free, to whoever can make use of it it, whereby posting costs kindly will require refundment by Paypal in advance.  

If interest, please dop me a PM.....

Nils

post-3445-0-93407500-1430311098_thumb.jpg

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Beautiful model Nils.  I've been thinking about dressing my Pegasus in full sails, and after seeing your model, I'm definitely going that route.  Hopefully I can pull it off half as nicely as you did.

Congratulations on your really amazing work.  You are a true artist!

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

Thank you very much Mike,

your words are much appreciated, I shall be happy to see another Swan Class under sails in due time....

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

nice appreciative comment Lawrence,

thank you very much, and I`m sure that your "Annie M." is going to be a pride of a schooner under full rigged sails in not so Long time....

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Hi Nils

The follow up on the braced yards was not purely selfless – I’m tempted to follow your lead and do the same on my pickle.

You are doing great. Oh, by the way, – do you already know how you will top your stunning Pegasus with a next project? With your building speed Pegasus will be finished in just a few weeks. :)

Keep up the good work.

Cheers

Peter

Hello Peter,

Thats a great idea, please go ahead with it.... the "Pickle" under braced sails, must be eyecandy on the shelf (in Showcase ?), when done......

Shall love to see that hapens... in your shipyard

I think I`ll have to do some work around the house and garden when "Pegasus" is completed, its been postponed already for quite some time.

On the modeling side I have`nt made up my mind yet, I have though thrown an eye on perhaps a 1:48 scratch build of one of those single masted 15 British naval cutters 1777-1778, like "Rattlesnake", "Alert" or so....., some weeks ago I shot Peter Goodwins book The Naval Cutter Alert for a bargain at Ebay, on the other Hand I was always wanting to build one of those famous pre WW1 four-stacker passenger liners

Cheers

Nils

Edited by Mirabell61

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Build log part 87

Update

have started to coil up the line-ends  (separate coils)

Nils

post-3445-0-04961100-1430576633_thumb.jpg

post-3445-0-65694500-1430576644_thumb.jpg

several lines to foremast bits and to bow pin rails

post-3445-0-78757000-1430576659_thumb.jpg

post-3445-0-23579600-1430576673_thumb.jpg

Edited by Mirabell61

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Thanks Carl,

now its time for doing the fine type work, I`ve bought myself a mini flattend nozzle with flexible tubing for Adaption to the regular vacuum cleaner, together with  a suitable sized Paintbrush  I must try and get some dust out of the ship that has settled on the lower decks during the many months of build

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Hi Nils

Of course I would like very much to see you build another sailing ship of the era of the Napoleonic wars – putting that wealth of experience you have now to good use.

On the other hand I did browse a bit to see what other four-stackers were there besides the well known Titanic and her sisters. And I must say those German liners like Deutschland, Kronprinz Wilhelm or Kronprinzessin Cecilie with her exceptional career were elegant and beautiful ships.

That’s a tough choice for you.

Cheers

Peter

Well done, your attention to detail has always been great.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

Hi Nils

Of course I would like very much to see you build another sailing ship of the era of the Napoleonic wars – putting that wealth of experience you have now to good use.

On the other hand I did browse a bit to see what other four-stackers were there besides the well known Titanic and her sisters. And I must say those German liners like Deutschland, Kronprinz Wilhelm or Kronprinzessin Cecilie with her exceptional career were elegant and beautiful ships.

That’s a tough choice for you.

Cheers

Peter

Hi Peter,

you had just the right sense with those ships you mentioned, I have a book of the Vulcan shipyard in Stettin which of course is also showing some plans of the ships. I am, next to a british Naval Cuitter, momentarily also grooving myself in on the twin-srew liner " Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" in scale 1:150, will be a beast of 1333 mm length, but no decision is made yet. I simply love the lines, the technique of those days, the luxiary of the fitting out, and the speed those liners could go, knifing their way through the Atlantic.

Here is a free available pic of a model built in card in scale 1:250, I borrowed from the web (HMV, Hamburger Modellbaubogen Verlag)

Cheers,

Nils

post-3445-0-65884400-1430596792_thumb.jpg

Edited by Mirabell61

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Well done, your attention to detail has always been great.

Bob

Bob,

thanks very much for your nice comment....

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

I just caught up with your progress Nils.....the rigging you've done on Peg is phenomenal!  the ship's boat looks great........such an amazing build all the way around.  :)   being so close to finishing her,  I'm sure that the next build you decide on will be just as fantastic!   you have tremendous skill at both ends of the spectrum :)

I've got the Academy Titanic in the closet...the admiral got it for me,  for Christmas.  of course,  I've been putting it off in order to catch myself up,  but the subtle hints are starting to surface.   how much longer it will stay in the closet.......I cannot say  :D  :D

love the work you do with these ships........really nice brass work ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Thanks for your words Popeye,

I can feel with you concerning The Academy Titanic (scale 1:350 if I`m right)......

I have both "Titanic" (Mini Craft, 1:350) and Cunard`s "Lusitania" (Gunze 1:350) still sleeping in the cupboard. One reason both are frozen in at the moment is that in the meantime I have seen such fantastic detailed and incredibly well built models, in particular the Titanic, in a quality I will never acheave in that scale.

As I mentioned to Peter (Flyer) some days ago, I`m gathering information on a british naval cutter scale 1:48, and on the 1897 launched german passenger liner "Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" , probably in scale 1:144, for to make my decision wich of the two for the next project

For the cutter I have basicly all I would need already, for the liner not yet

Nils

Here is also a little update on the HMS Pegasus...

Build log part 87

I`m doing the coil-ends of the lines at the belaying points

post-3445-0-04917500-1430839531_thumb.jpg

jig for the line-coils, The pencillines are for the different coil diameters

post-3445-0-73660900-1430839535_thumb.jpg

at the handrails left / right to the Quarterdeck entrance

post-3445-0-75591300-1430839538_thumb.jpg

front pinrail, QD-ballustrade looking forward

post-3445-0-63077900-1430839543_thumb.jpg

pinrails left / right of the skylight

post-3445-0-14861500-1430839547_thumb.jpg

on spanker boom, for outhauler tackle (inhauler on stb side likewise)

post-3445-0-73209400-1430839551_thumb.jpg

at forecastle ballustrade, (stb side still "untidy" )

post-3445-0-14859800-1430839554_thumb.jpg

at main gallows pinrail, allowing pump-crank levers to turn free

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed