1869 Allerton Steam Pumper by gjdale - Model Trailways - Scale 1:12 - Finished

Thank you Chuck - very kind of you to say so.

I’m still waiting on a reply from Model Expo - a week after sending my email to them. I have had an email from them every single day telling me all about their sales - just not a word even acknowledging my email to them. I know people here rave about M.E.’s excellent Customer Service, but from where I sit, I ain’t seein’ it. I did get an immediate response (within 24 hours) from Ken Foran (the kit designer), who I copied on my email to M.E., and have since exchanged further correspondence with him - such a gentleman as well as being an awesome modeller. I just wish M.E. would do me the courtesy of at least an acknowledgement - if you can spam we with junk mail on a daily basis, at least acknowledge when I write to you about problems with your quality control.

In the meantime, I have received my third party sourced plastic rod so have been able to complete the Boiler Water Level sight gauge. No pics at the moment, but may post an update pic on the weekend as I have some new photographic lights I want to test out.

I get theirs in duplicate!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Just catching up on your beautiful model construction Grant.  This is going to be a real show piece.  First class job and terrific painting.

Gary

Current Build   Pelican Eastern-Rig Dragger  

Completed Scratch Builds

Rangeley Guide Boat   New England Stonington Dragger   1940 Auto Repair Shop   Mack FK Shadowbox    

• 2 months later...

Final Completion

After a frustrating couple of months waiting for parts, the model is finally completed. I managed to source locally (relatively) some clear plastic rod of the correct diameter to complete the boiler gauge sight glass. 

I also took some time to write a constructive email to Model Expo with a detailed list of the errors in parts, and in the instructions, that I had encountered and asked only for replacements for the hoses and three bolts. I figured that since Model Expo claim a free parts replacement service this shouldn’t be too hard, especially since I had gone to the trouble of clearly identifying the issues for them.

Turned out not to be quite that simple. It was only after I involved the company owner (Marc Mosko) that I even got a response to my emails – the first email went completely unanswered for a month before I wrote a second time. Then a person in the parts department took it upon themselves to make it more difficult than it needed to be by insisting that I complete their online form for replacement parts, even though I had already provided every single piece of information on that form and more. That same person also told me that I would receive exactly the same parts as originally provided (never mind that the parts were incorrect). I was not prepared to put up with this nonsense so once again drew Marc Mosko into the conversation. Someone must have received the proverbial kick in the pants because I was then contacted by someone else in the parts department who couldn’t have been more helpful. The only further snag was that because of the cost of postage these days, they decided to include my replacement parts in a shipment to their Australian distributor, who would then forward my parts on to me. I can’t fault them for that – in fact it was a sensible approach. Anyway, the parts finally arrived on 29 Dec (more than two months since my first email) so Model Expo did make good on their promise and I’m grateful for that, even if their customer service is somewhat lacking.

Once I had the hose material in hand, it was a simple matter to cut them to approximate length, dip the ends in CA glue to stop them fraying and while the glue was still wet, insert the end of a paintbrush to open the ends and stop them sticking together. Once the CA had dried, the hose ends were trimmed to final length and the hose connectors inserted and glued in place. The hoses were then painted with a liberal amount of watered down PVA glue (50/50 glue/water mix) and left overnight to dry. This made the hoses relatively stiff but still malleable and able to be formed to some sort of shape prior to installing on the model.

So here at last are some final shots of the completed model. The Stbd side:

444646121_152Final1.jpeg.63248b81f086a42c3610c2e9af61fe3e.jpeg

A close-up of the Boiler Water Level Sight Gauge:

1653264297_153Final2.jpeg.97ebe57e36e3ddac7a9ca033ff25f9ad.jpeg

And the Port side:

441741810_154Final3.jpeg.c6885f949e8a396d11d7d65fe9913873.jpeg 

Despite its many frustrations, this has been an enjoyable build and I’m well pleased with the final product. More importantly, the Admiral likes it, and it is now on display in a temporary home in the dining room. Now I can get back to finishing my Capstan project.

Great work, Grant.   I'm glad you were able to overcome the obstacles.   

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

doesn't that look stunning, congratulations

Absolutely stunning, Grant! A museum would be fortunate to have a steam pumper of that quality!

Wishing you all the best in 2022. Can't wait to see what's next on your eclectic modeling journey!

Bob Garcia

"Measure once, cuss twice!"

Current Builds: 

Hms Brig-Sloop Flirt 1782 - Vanguard Models

Pen Duick - Artesania Latina 1:28

Completed: Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Co. 

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

Excellent model Grant and congratulations on its completion.  Such careful and exacting execution - very nice work indeed.  

Gary.

Current Build   Pelican Eastern-Rig Dragger  

Completed Scratch Builds

Rangeley Guide Boat   New England Stonington Dragger   1940 Auto Repair Shop   Mack FK Shadowbox    

Congratulations on this very beautiful model

Regards, Patrick

Finished :  Soleil Royal Heller 1/100   Wasa Billing Boats   Bounty Revell 1/110 plastic (semi scratch)   Pelican / Golden Hind  1/45 scratch

Current build :  Mary Rose 1/50 scratch

Gallery Revell Bounty  Pelican/Golden hind 1/45 scratch

To do Prins Willem Corel, Le Tonnant Corel, Yacht d'Oro Corel, Thermopylae Sergal 

Shore leave,  non ship models build logs :  

ADGZ M35 funkwagen 1/72    Einhets Pkw. Kfz.2 and 4 1/72   Autoblinda AB40 1/72   122mm A-19 & 152mm ML-20 & 12.8cm Pak.44 {K8 1/2} 1/72   10.5cm Howitzer 16 on Mark. VI(e)  Centurion Mk.1 conversion   M29 Weasel 1/72     SAM6 1/72    T26 Finland  T26 TN 1/72  Autoprotetto S37 1/72     Opel Blitz buses 1/72  Boxer and MAN trucks 1/72   Hetzer38(t) Starr 1/72    

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Thank you very much Mark, Kevin, Bob, Gary and Patrick for your kind words, and to all of the “likes” as well.

The model has grown further on the Admiral, who has now requested (nay, ordered) that it take up permanent residency in its “temporary” home in the dining room. Although it has felt at times that the model fought me every step of the way, to have this reaction to the end result instead of just “tolerance” makes it that much more worthwhile. 😊

I’ll be having a case made for it in a week or so when businesses start back up after the Xmas break.

9 hours ago, gjdale said:

The model has grown further on the Admiral, who has now requested (nay, ordered) that it take up permanent residency in its “temporary” home in the dining room. 

Well, that's high praise indeed when the Admiral issues such a command!

Bob Garcia

"Measure once, cuss twice!"

Current Builds: 

Hms Brig-Sloop Flirt 1782 - Vanguard Models

Pen Duick - Artesania Latina 1:28

Completed: Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Co. 

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

On 1/1/2022 at 8:38 PM, BobG said:

Well, that's high praise indeed when the Admiral issues such a command!

Yep  I can relate to that  - if its good enough its goes on general display  - otherwise in the man cave   cupboard.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

• 2 weeks later...

awesome piece Grant...well deserved for such high praise! :)   a case would definitely be in order.   it's a real work of art!  perhaps another piece would compliment it even more...........a Hook 'n ladder maybe?  

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

• 2 weeks later...

Could someone help me contact the owner of Model Expo? I am having a similar experience as described in this thread. I bought the wonderful Confederacy kit, and I noticed that I was missing a part. I contacted ME via their missing part form, and heard nothing for a couple of weeks. I then was informed that I needed to provide a specific part #. I told them that I couldn't do that, because the part I was missing (one of the metal figures that mount on the stern) was not listed specifically with a part #. I sent along a picture of the missing part, and was told that I needed to provide a picture of the missing part. I sent the picture again, and was told that the part would be mailed the next day. A week later, I emailed them asking what the status of my missing part was, and I was told that I needed to provide a part # and a picture, I called their 800 number at least ten times and got voice mail, every time. I then submitted a new missing part form, and about a week later received some parts in the mail, which were not the part I was missing. I then sent another email asking about the part I was actually missing, and I then received an email in Spanish. I translated it and it was an email meant for someone who works in the parts department, and it was very insulting toward me, saying this customer was not providing the correct part #. I then sent another email, including a picture of the part I was missing, along with all six possible part numbers. I got an email from someone who said the matter couldn't be resolved without the correct part #, and if I would include my phone number, they would call me. I sent another missing part form, with my phone number, and I am waiting to hear from them. This isn't a sit-com script. This is actually happening. I absolutely love the Confederacy kit. The part quality is superb, but I am really wondering what is going on at ModelExpo.

Donington 93,

Sorry to hear of your woes with Model Expo customer service. Sadly, this seems to be a common experience. I have sent you a Private Message with the company owner’s direct email address (we don’t post email addresses in the public domain here). It was only when I made direct contact with him that I received any real assistance, and even then it took a second email to him to bring his parts department into line with his promise. He does stand by his promise - he is let down by some very poor attitudes in the parts department, along with what appears to be a lack of appropriate supervision there. I hope you resolve your issue soon.