Hello from France

Sandra

Hello Sandra,

A warm welcome to MSW from Sussez. This is a great place for advice and assistance.

Please keep us posted on your project.

Regards,

Bruce

🌻

STAY SAFE

A model shipwright and an amateur historian are heads & tails of the same coin

current builds:

HMS Berwick 1775, 1/192 scratchbuild; a Slade 74 in the Navy Board style

Mediator sloop, 1/48 - an 18th century transport scratchbuild 

French longboat - CAF - 1/48, on hold

Welcome to MSW.    Questions are always good.   When asking, put the questions into the appropriate sub-forum in this area:  https://modelshipworld.com/forum/12-shop-notes-ship-modeling-tips-techniques-and-research/

You'll get more "eyes" seeing it there than here.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Bienvenue!

I am not certain whether you want modelling or maritime terminology. There are several online translation resources for maritime terms. I particularly like this one - https://archive.org/details/dictionnairedes00tiregoog/page/n12/mode/2up - it contains very many terms useful in modelling. However, it translates only in one direction - from French to English. But I hope this is helpful.

Are you planning to realise a ship model yourself?

Steven

:piratebo5:

:sign:

Regards, Patrick

Finished :  Soleil Royal Heller 1/100   Wasa Billing Boats   Bounty Revell 1/110 plastic (semi scratch)   Pelican / Golden Hind  1/45 scratch

Current build :  Mary Rose 1/50 scratch

Gallery Revell Bounty  Pelican/Golden hind 1/45 scratch

To do Prins Willem Corel, Le Tonnant Corel, Yacht d'Oro Corel, Thermopylae Sergal 

Shore leave,  non ship models build logs :  

ADGZ M35 funkwagen 1/72    Einhets Pkw. Kfz.2 and 4 1/72   Autoblinda AB40 1/72   122mm A-19 & 152mm ML-20 & 12.8cm Pak.44 {K8 1/2} 1/72   10.5cm Howitzer 16 on Mark. VI(e)  Centurion Mk.1 conversion   M29 Weasel 1/72     SAM6 1/72    T26 Finland  T26 TN 1/72  Autoprotetto S37 1/72     Opel Blitz buses 1/72  Boxer and MAN trucks 1/72   Hetzer38(t) Starr 1/72    

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Hello and greetings from Massachusetts USA.  Feel free to ask a question, and good luck with your project!

Sandra, you'll occasionally find that there are alternative translations between French and English, of which one is correct and the other isn't. For example the usual translation of the word pont into English is "bridge" - but the correct word for ships is "deck". The "bridge" is a different part of the ship entirely. Another one is bâtiment - the usual English translation is "building", but the maritime one is just "ship."

There are quite a few words like this, but as you get into the subject it gets easier.

Steven 

Sandra, we can use your translation skills in the below discussion. Thank you.......Keith

On 8/28/2021 at 4:27 AM, Louie da fly said:

Hello Steven,

No plans to make a ship model myself. I've made mosaics in the past but haven't started model-making. My interest comes through my translation work for the Musée national de la Marine here in France. It's great to be on the forum. It certainly seems like a friendly community and I've had a lot of help and tips already. I'm hoping I'll be able to reciprocate.

All the best,

Sandra

On 8/28/2021 at 4:27 AM, Louie da fly said:

Are you planning to realise a ship model yourself?

Steven

Hi Sandra,

What an amazing job to have! I envy you immensely. I have a smattering of French myself, which has helped me with archaeological reports. Speaking of which, have you any idea of what is meant by the terms aiguilette and carlingot ? (see text below from the report Le Navire Génois de Villefranche in Archaeonautica No. 9). The carlingot appears to be something to do with the carlingue (keelson) but I can't find a definition for it anywhere.

image.png.8a6e91196f083e21a4c83fd671b3276b.png

image.png.27623ebdd23e1fdb62e87542fcf1e6fe.png

Any help gratefully received.

Steven

Edited by Louie da fly

Bonjour,

Les « carlingots » sont deux pièces placées parallèlement et contre la quille afin de la renforcer latéralement.
Les "aiguillettes" sont la pièce supérieure dans la partie supérieure des cavaliers (qui sur ce navire ont une forme particulière).

GD

Sans titre 1.jpg

Edited by G. Delacroix

Merci beaucoup, GD.

For the English-speakers; 

"The carlingots are two pieces placed against the keel, parallel to it, for lateral reinforcement.

The aiguillettes are the top piece of the top part of the cavaliers (which on this ship have a particular form)".

I'm not familiar with the term cavalier, but it seems to be a frame, and so I think the aiguillette must be the top futtock. 

Steven

Edited by Louie da fly

Hello,

This drawing comes from the excavation report of the Villefranche ship, which can be consulted here:  

https://www.persee.fr/doc/nauti_0154-1854_1989_mon_9_1
On page 93.

@Sandra: traduire est une chose, connaître en est une autre, à chacun son domaine :)

(Translating is one thing, knowing is another, to each his own :) )

GD