Armed Virginia Sloop by CiscoH - Model Shipways - 1:48

Your work continues to impress.  Your details at small scales are truly impressive.  

Completed Build:   HMS Beagle - Occre

Current Builds:       Frigate Diana - Occre  https://modelshipworld.com/topic/33530-frigate-diana-by-rossr-occre-185/

Santisima Trinidad - Occre - Cross Section https://modelshipworld.com/topic/37130-santisima-trinidad-by-rossr-occre-190-cross-section/

On the Shelf:           NRG Half Hull, the US Brig Syren - Model Shipways and USF Essex - Model Shipways

I remember those kit supplied window frames being one of the trickiest parts. I was never satisfied with my outcome. Good on you for looking for a different approach to match the rest of your models colouring.

Cheers

Alistair

Current Build - HMS Fly by aliluke - Victory Models - 1/64

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/34180-hms-fly-by-aliluke-victory-models-164/

Previous Build  - Armed Virginia Sloop by Model Shipways

Previous Build - Dutch Whaler by Sergal (hull only, no log)

• 2 weeks later...

CiscoH

As you know I recently started the AVS myself. I just wanted everyone to know I get more information, how to and problem solutions then the included instructions or even the Luck instructions. 

Current Projects:                                                                                          Completed Projects:

Armed Virginia Sloop - Model Shipways - 1:96                                      Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack - Model Shipways - 1:24

Phantom New York Pilot Boat - Model Shipways - 1:96                         18th Century Long Boat - Model Shipways - 1:48

Norwegian Sailing Pram - Model Shipways - 1:12

Lowell Grand Banks Dory - Model Shipways - 1:24

Posted (edited)

Happy Saturday afternoon MSW.  Today I continue trying to make windows.

Last time I made an oversized practice window which below I have trimmed down and I think it looks ok.  Here are my 2 oversized test windows and the kit walnut one.

IMG_6823_edited.thumb.jpg.111fd79df832b9139801fa201c26d164.jpg

This time around I made a new window the correct size although its still a practice version.

First off I copied the angle of an outside window and made a cutting jig, similar to what I did with my mitered coamings.  I used a large chisel initially but later used the largest of the 3 mini veritas chisels and it worked fine too.

IMG_6821_edited.thumb.jpg.b66654c7319f77cf0a384568045d5a47.jpg

Everything is very oversize to be trimmed down at the end.  The most difficult part wasn't cutting the angled lap joint, it was making the 2 opposite pieces of frame the same size.  Still working on the best way to mark this.

One other challenge is figuring out which direction the angled miters are cut.  Doodling pictures did not help me visualize; I bet if I had worked in Sketchup I would have eventually gotten it but thats even more free time gone.  It turns out if you cut all the angled joints on the right side of the above jig it makes the Left-side window (because I wanted the side members of the window (stiles?) to run all the way up/down.  Presumably when I cut the joints with with mirror image left side of the jig it will make the right-side window.

I formed the half-laps same as last post, which led to:

IMG_6824_edited.thumb.jpg.f633e5dea92695a284a02fe5ca92f39e.jpg

I marked the frame with triangles and then put it together with Elmers white glue.

IMG_6825_edited.thumb.jpg.92982db65530cb54c97630204e15242b.jpg

Once it was dry I flipped it over and used a compass to determine the centerpoint of each side and then the big chisel to score a mark across the frame, then gently chiseled out the score to a V shape. 

I purchased the smallest Vallorbe rectangular file I could find which turned out to be 2/64" thick.  I used this to file the V cuts into square.  Despite the tiny size it still makes the rabbits look too big.  But this is a test window so I soldiered on.

IMG_6829_edited.thumb.jpg.e3d154e9104a7b5f96a55d930b38d71e.jpg

I added one window muntin.  Cut to fit the size of the slot its noticeably thicker than the previous test window muntin.

IMG_6840_edited.thumb.jpg.a40191c2ed07bbd1dc7f2ef82c59c1e6.jpg

Once it dried I filed the transverse slot and added its muntin.

IMG_6841_edited.thumb.jpg.258d354c604fde7826ef93db52ac7db9.jpg

And once that was dry I trimmed the window frame down to its proper size.  I thinned the muntins by filing then equally each side which worked pretty well.  The window is surprisingly rigid considering how tiny it is.

And here is the new window overlaid onto the left side of the stern, kit window on the right for comparison.  It looks like I need the thin the frame edges even more but I am planning on adding some exterior window trim pieces which will take up some space.

IMG_6842_edited.thumb.jpg.e2a02e61092681298d36e941d4305096.jpg

I have to enlarge the stern window openings at the top some and I think I will put backers in on the top and bottom where there is a little more room.

Next up adding some window trim and deciding if I keep the muntin angles like the kit or change them so they follow the curve of the stern planking.  Or something inbetween.

thanks for reading

Cisco

Edited by CiscoH

That is really impressive! Especially when we see your thumb and realise how small these windows are. The alignment of the outer windows with the stern was also my problem - the kit supplied windows that go there end up looking crooked. I didn't try to fix that but it remains a vague  irritation every time I look at the bum of my AVS.

Cheers

Alistair

Current Build - HMS Fly by aliluke - Victory Models - 1/64

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/34180-hms-fly-by-aliluke-victory-models-164/

Previous Build  - Armed Virginia Sloop by Model Shipways

Previous Build - Dutch Whaler by Sergal (hull only, no log)

Love the generosity in sharing your process Cisco! The gorgeous results are one thing - how you get there makes it even better!

hamilton

current builds: Corel HMS Bellona (1780); Admiralty models Echo cross-section (semi-scratch)

previous builds: MS Phantom (scuttled, 2017); MS Sultana (1767); Corel Brittany Sloop (scuttled, 2022); MS Kate Cory; MS Armed Virginia Sloop (in need of a refit); Corel Flattie; Mamoli Gretel; Amati Bluenose (1921) (scuttled, 2023); AL San Francisco (destroyed by land krakens [i.e., cats]); Corel Toulonnaise (1823); 
MS Glad Tidings (1937) (in need of a refit)HMS Blandford (1719) from Corel HMS GreyhoundFair Rosamund (1832) from OcCre Dos Amigos (missing in action); Amati Hannah (ship in a bottle); Mamoli America (1851)Bluenose fishing schooner (1921) (scratch); Off-Centre Sailing Skiff (scratch)

under the bench: MS Emma C Barry; MS USS Constitution; MS Flying Fish; Corel Berlin; a wood supplier Colonial Schooner Hannah; Victory Models H.M.S. Fly; CAF Models HMS Granado; MS USS Confederacy

I'm impressed with your attention to detail and craftsmanship.  Definitely will be making return visits.  Keep up the good work!