Calypso by mtdoramike - FINISHED - Billing Boats - 1:45 Scale

This is a Billings Boats kit of the Calypso, I received this kit from a good friend and fellow modeller a few months ago. This is not what I usually call an orphaned kit. It took me two years to finally talk him out of it. I had it stashed away in a closet for a few months waiting it's turn on the building bench. I'm finishing up the Dumas 1955 Chris Craft Cobra and then on to another Billings Boats kit of the Nordkap, which was an orphaned kit whose previous owner had passed away before completing it. I will most likely spend time working on both kits periodically.

Now on to the good stuff and the Calypso ahhhh the Siren of the Sea's, she has been beckoning to me for the last two years and her time is growing near. Upon opening the box, I noticed several white printed styrene sheets, which will need to be cut out and finished, wood sheets, and a numerous fitting package, which Billings is known for, they are also known for not including the fitting packages in the kits and making the builder have to purchase them separately. But not this kit, it was included. One thing I did notice is the preformed plastic hull, which I find to be quite thin and light for this size of a model. So, it will require some re-enforcement. I also noticed the 4 sheets of plans were printed on two sheets back and front, which I also don't care for, so I will have to find a Kinko's some where to get additional prints made. Yes, I know Kinko's is defunk so on to an Office Depot. For some this may not both, but for me it is poses a bit of a problem since I like to mount the plans on the wall. This will cause me to have to remove them constantly to check as I go along. I like to check as much as 3-4 steps ahead just to make sure I'm not missing anything. I'm not good at following instructions, I find them more of a suggestion, I'm more of a plans builder.

I would not recommend this model kit for a beginner, I would highly recommend they build a few boats before tackling this beast.   

DSC01503.JPG

DSC01502.JPG

DSC01500.JPG

DSC01500.JPG

DSC01498.JPG

DSC01497.JPG

DSC01495.JPG

• 1 month later...

I'm onboard for the build of this historic ship, Mike! 

I actually got to go aboard the Calypso and talk with Jacque Cousteau and his crew when I was stationed at the US Coast Guard Captain-of-the-Port Los Angeles/Long Beach Station way back in 1969. The Calypso was in port and I was sent to try and get them to be a part of LORAN safety program and they were more than happy to sign on. Ships all over the world could be alerted through this program when they were in the area of another vessel experiencing an emergency and then go to their aid. They gave me a tour of the ship and their state of the art diving equipment also. 

I'll never forget meeting Cousteau and his crew. He was a hero of mine because he was spending his life trying to save our oceans and sea life and educating the world about why it was important. He'd be appalled to see what has happened since then to the world's oceans today with all the pollution and garbage and the massive loss of corals and sea life.   

Looking forward to your build, Mike. Good luck!

Edited by BobG

Bob Garcia

"Measure once, cuss twice!"

Current Builds: 

Hms Brig-Sloop Flirt 1782 - Vanguard Models

Pen Duick - Artesania Latina 1:28

Completed: Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Co. 

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

I'm going to fair in the observation pod on the lower stem of the boat using bondo body filler. I'm then going to drill out for the port holes on the observation pod. But before I install the port holes, I'm going to inject some clear silicone caulking into the pod through the port holes to make sure the is no open void that water could by chance leak into the pod. 

I'm going to order some 7mm glazed port holes because the once furnished in the kit are unglazed meaning their open, which might work fine for the upper cabins, but not for the observation pod.

DSC01579.JPG

DSC01576.JPG

DSC01578.JPG

• 3 weeks later...

I got the glazed portholes in from Modelboatbit in England. It took about 2 weeks to get them, but well worth the effort. They will be going in the observation pod on the nose of the Calypso. The potholes in the kit are unglazed. I needed the ones that had glass for it to work in the water. 

DSC01596.JPG

This subject and kit are very intriguing Mike, will definitely be following along.  There seem to be a multitude of molded plastic/resin (?) parts which I'm hoping the kit provides elements to further detail these.

Cheers,

Jason

"Which it will be ready when it is ready!"

In the shipyard:

HMS Jason (c.1794: Artois Class 38 gun frigate)

Queen Anne Royal Barge (c.1700)

Finished:

HMS Snake (c.1797: Cruizer Class, ship rigged sloop)

15 hours ago, Beef Wellington said:

This subject and kit are very intriguing Mike, will definitely be following along.  There seem to be a multitude of molded plastic/resin (?) parts which I'm hoping the kit provides elements to further detail these.

Like with all Billings kits, there are always a lot of plastic parts for detailing where wood would be difficult. Yes, there are also quite a bit of molded plastic parts as well like the boats and helicopter. 

DSC01600.thumb.JPG.ae7f9de17a18789aab38b99fb3990d0e.JPGBut with all builds, there comes some bad with the good and making an R/C model out of a static model always poses extra problems and make no mistake, the Calypso is mainly a static build eventhough they suggest a motor drive train setup diagram. Case in point are the support posts for the roof of the bottom main cabin, which extends to the deck of the ship on ten places on each side of the cabin. This will not work for radio control operation because the main cabin has to be removed to gain access to the interior of the hull for motor adjustments, battery changing switching the model on and off. So this, won't do. I will have to reconfigure this, yes, I could just install them as the plans show and just not secure the bottom of the post to the deck, but they could easily be knocked off. I may end up doing a cantilever type support like a triangle making it terminate into the sides of the cabin instead of the deck. Now if this were going to be a static build and built to represent the Calypso as museum quality or close to it I wouldn't dare think of such a dastardly deed. But since this build is more fuction than form, I'm open to it.

DSC01598.JPG

Edited by mtdoramike

1 hour ago, mtdoramike said:

But with all builds, there comes some bad with the good and making an R/C model out of a static model always poses extra problems and make no mistake, the Calypso is mainly a static build eventhough they suggest a motor drive train setup diagram. Case in point are the support posts for the roof of the bottom main cabin, which extends to the deck of the ship on ten places on each side of the cabin. This will not work for radio control operation because the main cabin has to be removed to gain access to the interior of the hull for motor adjustments, battery changing switching the model on and off. So this, won't do. I will have to reconfigure this, yes, I could just install them as the plans show and just not secure the bottom of the post to the deck, but they could easily be knocked off. I may end up doing a cantilever type support like a triangle making it terminate into the sides of the cabin instead of the deck. Now if this were going to be a static build and built to represent the Calypso as museum quality or close to it I wouldn't dare think of such a dastardly deed. But since this build is more fuction than form, I'm open to it.

I am not sure what you are trying to do here. The main cabin is NOT being removed for an RC control model. The upper deck is removed and there is plenty of space to access the RC components inside. Of course, you would have to plan the installation of the motor and batteries support ahead of time....

My model is RC equipped and has navigated on all kinds of lake and seas. I do not see why you are concerned with the support being glued on the deck: the resulting structure is very solid and I have never broken anything. My Calypso is now 40 years old and still in one piece.

For a static model, the building is even simpler as you do not have to plan for inside access.

Yves

PS: if you need, I can post a picture of my model, showing how the upper deck fits on the cabin.

Edited by yvesvidal

1 hour ago, yvesvidal said:

I am not sure what you are trying to do here. The main cabin is NOT being removed for an RC control model. The upper deck is removed and there is plenty of space to access the RC components inside. Of course, you would have to plan the installation of the motor and batteries support ahead of time....

My model is RC equipped and has navigated on all kinds of lake and seas. I do not see why you are concerned with the support being glued on the deck: the resulting structure is very solid and I have never broken anything. My Calypso is now 40 years old and still in one piece.

For a static model, the building is even simpler as you do not have to plan for inside access.

Yves

PS: if you need, I can post a picture of my model, showing how the upper deck fits on the cabin.

yes, i would like to see a picture of it if can post or send to my email mtdoramike2@aol.com

Mike,

Here it is (sorry for all the dust on the model): 

DSC05867.thumb.JPG.357328879abee03636a5f6806fa2fde1.JPG

As you can see above, the front of the cabin (wheel house) is fixed/glued to the main deck and cannot be taken apart. The main cabing rests on the main deck (glued). The upper deck is removable and held simply by two piece of wood in the front and rear: 

DSC05868.thumb.JPG.e219b68a4c129c9452e07f3a21626ffc.JPG

The upper deck slides on the main cabin and gets locked under the wheel house: 

DSC05869.thumb.JPG.03af4868081259eeb2d6f9dfa821a60d.JPG

When in place, it is secured and very sturdy: 

DSC05870.thumb.JPG.82db3cbd7e0e77ba6339fe51f7138f3c.JPG

And finally, just for fun, a comparison of the Calypso (1/43.5) and the Corvette (1/48). The Calypso should even be smaller if it was built in 1/48th scale: 

DSC05871.thumb.JPG.2416f2766736fe06b7926c7cdbe4b9e0.JPG

Sorry for intruding on your Build Log. I can remove this material if you wish.

Yves

NO, I love seeing your build. Now I see what you are talking about. I'm used to seeing the entire bottom cabins being removed on most R/C builds which is why I assumed this to be no different. But now that I see your's and I looked through all the plans and deck parts, I see how it is to be done. I'm glad you caught me before I did all that work for nothing.

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, mtdoramike said:

This is how my work bench looks when I'm working on a project. I try to keep it clean, which lasts all of about two days.

That's the way mine looks most of the time also! 😂

Bob Garcia

"Measure once, cuss twice!"

Current Builds: 

Hms Brig-Sloop Flirt 1782 - Vanguard Models

Pen Duick - Artesania Latina 1:28

Completed: Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Co. 

Member of the Nautical Research Guild