Calypso by mtdoramike - FINISHED - Billing Boats - 1:45 Scale

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I can't believe Billings used SOLID brass foir the deck barrels, 6 of them no less. That's one thing about Billings, they don't cheap out on their fittings. But, and there's always a but: these brass barrels weigh a good pound and a half to two pounds, which is way to much weight for any structure above the waterline unless you want to add a ton of ballast weight in the hull. I'm going to replace the brass tuned barrels with 1/2" wooden dowel rod, which will weigh considerably less. We'll see how they turn out, if I don't like them I can always resort back to the brass one's.  

DSC01634.JPG

DSC01635.JPG

4 hours ago, yvesvidal said:

I have used all the fittings provided by Billing Boats. The hull requires a significant amount of lead/weight to be in its flotation lines.

My boat has sailed on the Mediterranean sea (inside a harbor) and never capsized. You should be perfectly fine with the brass barrels.

Yves

The reason for significant hullo ballast inside the hull has to do alot with weight above the waterline. With this plastic hull being so light, it will require quite a bit of dead weight just to get it to sit appropriately in the water. I have been told by a couple of others that built this model to try and keep it as light as possible from the deck upward and after seeing the weight of all these brass fittings I can see why. I'm going go as though I'm going to use the brass barrels, but if I can find a decent lighter alternative I will go with it. Wish I knew someone with a 3d printer. One good thing, I can always replace them later if I decide to. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Wow looking good Mike, still pushing out the model ships I see, sad to hear how you came across the ship, I’ve lost both my mother-in-law and farther-in-law and the ship was going to dock with them and to be honest all work stopped for a few years since they passed. The ship just reminds me of them, making it hard to get back to it over the years but the bug has come back and I’ve picked her up again. I hope the Victory you donated to the library is fairing well as she too has been there quite some time now. 

9 hours ago, CDW said:

She came out beautiful, Mike

Thanks Craig, I tried to stay pretty close to the original, but you know me, I had to give it a little color. I also extended the rear hatch close to an extra inch toward the transome to give a bit better access to the rear rudder assemblies, which always require constant adjustments on the double rudder boats to keep them tracking properly. I also squirted in clear silicone into the observation pod to make it water tight and ordered some glazed portholes from England to use on the observation pod since the portholes in the kit were all unglazed. I also used glazed portholes on the side portholes in the hull just in case it were to be in rough seas and water splashed up. I told you I would get her done. I think she is beautiful and the old sea goddess still captures my heart even after 50 years when I last saw her moored off of the water front in St. Thomas USVI. That was a magical time for me as a teenager and it brought back fond memories that I would get lost in for a while when I was building her.

Great job, Mike,  on one of my favorite ships of all-time! I'm looking forward to seeing what you decide to build next too.

Bob Garcia

"Measure once, cuss twice!"

Current Builds: 

Hms Brig-Sloop Flirt 1782 - Vanguard Models

Pen Duick - Artesania Latina 1:28

Completed: Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Co. 

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

9 hours ago, BobG said:

Great job, Mike,  on one of my favorite ships of all-time! I'm looking forward to seeing what you decide to build next too.

Hey Bob, this will be my next project. It's a river/lake/pleasure boat. I have the plans for it. It will be over the scratch built section.

fspb0604.jpg

3 hours ago, clearway said:

Very nice indeed- i have always wanted to build this kit but the price made my eyes water somewhat! Well done on another great build:cheers:

Keith

I know what you mean Keith, the retail price for this kit is quite high, which I think is a might over priced, but then again all Billings kits a a bit over priced.  

14 hours ago, mtdoramike said:

Hey Bob, this will be my next project. It's a river/lake/pleasure boat. I have the plans for it. It will be over the scratch built section.

fspb0604.jpg

That's a very cool little boat, Mike! I love models of boats we rarely see. Looking forward to following your build.

Bob Garcia

"Measure once, cuss twice!"

Current Builds: 

Hms Brig-Sloop Flirt 1782 - Vanguard Models

Pen Duick - Artesania Latina 1:28

Completed: Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Co. 

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

• 9 months later...

HI,

Great thread.

I'm about to start a serious attempt to complete my Calypso, which been languishing on a shelf for perhaps 15 years with a few attempts to start it.

Could the OP, or anyone else who has built an RC  Calypso, post picture(s) of the electronics/motor installation?  I've built many RC models, but never a boat and I can't get my head round the best way to lay it all out.

Thanks.