Medway Longboat 1742 by Freebird - FINISHED - Syren Ship Model Company - 1/2” Scale

New year and my first wood build! A little about me, I’m a lifetime modeler, mostly R/C planes and scale helicopters. Back in the 80’s I also got into R/C subs and had a lot of fun/success. I won a lot of National awards with my scale helicopters and just love to build. I retired a year ago after over 40 years of building jet engines, so I have the time now to enjoy my building. About 40 years ago, I tried to build a Billings Cutty Sark and as can be imagined, I failed miserably. Now, after reading the way awesome builds on this site, I decided that now was the time to get started. 

For my first build, I decided on Chuck’s Medway Longboat, it’s such a beautiful project and it’ll help me develop skills I need for my next project, Chuck’s Cheerful. I like to start new projects on January 1, as it makes it easy to see how long it takes to build. Actually, I started this build about a week ago and it has been a wonderful change of pace. Chuck’s efforts in designing and implementing his designs are of epic proportions! I’ve never seen such detailed laser cutting and his practicums are fabulous, as is all of the fantastic builds on MSW. So without further ado, here we go.

I'm going to pass on showing the kit parts, as there are many already posted in the group build.

I started with the easy keel to ease into the build and then built the lap-joint keel. Frames have been assembled and fitted to the building board. Keel has been glued in place and is drying. I expect to start fairing the frames later tonight. A task I’ve never done. Enjoy!

Regards … Rick

414FF9D0-192C-4B0D-8537-6076FF04A9FA.jpeg

DE051900-65AB-4C80-BC97-CCC88E49D247.jpeg

8597EED8-4660-45C8-8F96-6E3FDCFDF604.jpeg

B2AF7205-D29B-480C-B23A-FE245BAA3491.jpeg

6822F448-E9C8-48B0-AE4F-0AF77E44C24E.jpeg

2034BAE6-30AE-454E-989C-F23CA72C9B50.jpeg

Welcome! I am sure you will enjoy this build. I personally have made a vow to not build anything that is not designed by Chuck.

Current Builds - 18th Century Longboat, MS Syren

Completed Builds - MS Bluenose, Panart BatteStation Cross section, Endevour J Boat Half Hull, Windego Half Hull, R/C T37 Breezing Along, R/C Victoria 32, SolCat 18

On the shelf - Panart San Felipe, Euromodel Ajax, C.Mamoli America, 

Its a sailor's Life for me! :10_1_10:

Looking good!

Completed Builds - MS Bluenose, Panart BatteStation Cross section, Endevour J Boat Half Hull, Windego Half Hull, R/C T37 Breezing Along, R/C Victoria 32, SolCat 18

Nice start to your Medway Longboat.  This was a fun build and I look forward to following your build.

6 hours ago, Freebird said:

I still need to figure out how to line the bow.

Did you use the templates at the end of Chapter two for lining out the bow?  They were a great help for me.

Ryland

Member - Hampton Roads Ship Model Society

- Ship Model Society of New Jersey

- Nautical Research Guild

Current Build - Armed Virginia Sloop, 18th Century Longboat

Completed Build - Medway Longboat

Nice start Rick. This is a great and fun little project. Just remember to take your time, particularly with the planking. Chuck has done what he can to make it easier for us, but it still needs careful attention as you build.

Ryland, Grant, thank you for the kudos!

Ryland, I wanted to line off the bow without using the template to see how well I’d get to where the planks would lie. Failed miserably! LOL! I used the template and saw where adjusting was needed. I needed to adjust each line toward the keel. The stern was much more obvious and was very close to the template. This was a very interesting step as I’ve never planked or lined off a hull. I have a much better understanding now.

Best Regards …. Rick

52BAB4FE-3FA1-4276-9C91-0170EEA26810.jpeg

71E2D153-3576-49FC-BD4E-8A3E9B662165.jpeg

7A0FF22D-1A68-499E-BB55-636ABED4A38D.jpeg

Thank you Chuck! This project has been a pleasure! Thanks to All for the likes!

Got the the first 2 strakes down. Came out pretty good, only a couple of areas next to the keel that have some gaps that I’m not fond of. Maybe some type of filler? Looking for ideas. Also going to add the nails as I complete a strake, much easier as the frames are visible. I have the hole locations marked in the starboard side. Need to experiment on some scrap first to get my process down. More to come….

‘’Really enjoying this build, learning a lot!

Best Regards …. Rick

C942641C-E38B-409B-A083-7CC65460D902.jpeg

73529A47-3879-4DC6-9100-FD85760A0515.jpeg

BFD3AD74-C343-4447-B48A-B6DED8324543.jpeg

A9E1FA3A-4C15-4598-9D57-C34CAEEA85CE.jpeg

3070CB02-F568-46D0-80E3-F25D3E24167C.jpeg

Edited by Freebird

Only 900 holes to go. LOL

18 hours ago, Freebird said:

Got the the first 2 strakes down. Came out pretty good, only a couple of areas next to the keel that have some gaps that I’m not fond of. Maybe some type of filler? Looking for ideas.

I used Minwax Wood Filler in a tube that was natural in color to fill small cracks.  It matched the color of the Yellow Cedar very well.  I also used the wood filler to seal up some joints throughout the model that were painted over.

You are making good progress and your workmanship is excellent.

Ryland

Ryland, thank you for the compliment and to all the likes!

Floyd, yup, one at a time!

Making progress, have completed 3 strakes on each side and they’ve been given a light sanding. Heavier sanding is still needed at the stem and stern. I’m finding these areas the most difficult so far. I’ve been taking a long time to fit each strake lining them up to minimize sanding. Chuck’s design is superior to anything I’ve ever built. Lots of work and fitting and refitting, but like most say, it’s not a race. To be honest, I’m surprising myself with this build. 

Don’t know if I’ll get anything done tomorrow, have to prep for cancer surgery on Friday. Probably will be at least a couple of weeks before returning to the shipyard. Gives me something to look forward to when I’m released.

Best Regards …. Rick

DC34DAEA-289C-4109-B907-33A9B9F1F63F.jpeg

A5FC628A-A5E4-4D20-95AF-4738606F1972.jpeg

41FF9554-5083-4B42-9182-A7D77B5B6667.jpeg

C7F8AF3C-5076-4BD7-A832-46052160F1B0.jpeg

1DB28262-6340-44BA-BB48-52BF0CAA1B4A.jpeg

Very nice work so far Rick. Best wishes for your surgery and hoping for a speedy recovery for you.

• 3 weeks later...

I’m back! Cancer surgery went very well and I’m able to return to the ship yard. 

Before I stopped, I broke the tip off of plank 9 at the bow. I’ve read somewhere that Chuck had posted a pdf of the spiled planks. I’ve looked around and can’t find it. Anybody have a link. TIA!

Best Regards …. Rick

I am glad the surgery went well.  Welcome back....

Check here for all helpful downloads.

Thank you Chuck!

I’ve been really enjoying this build. Never thought I’d be able to actually build something like this, as I’ve always admired from afar and thought no way. The design of the kit is just amazing and is going to be a great stepping stone to my Cheerful build. Thanks Chuck!

I will be posting some progress pictures shortly and asking for some advise as I’ve discovered a problem.

Best Regards …. Rick

Edited by Freebird

Glad to hear the surgery went well Rick - welcome back.

Re your plank 9, you should be able to use the original AYC sheet it came from as a template for a new one. 

Grant, thank you for the kind comment.

Thats exactly what I did. However, when I made the replacement, I placed it in the open blank and not knowing it, the blank expanded (I didn’t notice this), and my replacement part was a perfect fit, or so I thought. So I went about fitting the replacement plank on the hull and it fit very well. Next I fit the aft plank to finish the strake, and when I fit it, at the butt joint there was quite a mismatch in the width of the planks. I really didn’t give it much thought, so I finished fitting it and glued it in place to finish the strake. After I finish putting a strake down, I always check the symmetry from the bow and stern. Looking at the stern all was well. The bow was a different story. The port strake was about 1/16 higher (wider) and I’m thinking what the heck happened as all the previous strakes were even on both sides. I noticed my tick mark was covered, hmmmm….. So a grabbed a compass and made some measurements and found the replacement plank to be about 1/16 too wide it’s entire length. DOH! That’s when I figured out the pattern expanded when I check fit the replaced plank. Thinking back, I do remember that the plank kinda “snapped” into the blank. Not wanting to rip the plank off unless absolutely necessary, I slept on the problem. The. Next morning looking at the problem with a cup of coffee, I decided to trim off the excess width. I didn’t have anything to lose, right? If I messed it up the plank would come off. Anywho, I used some transparent tape and traced the plank from the starboard side and transferred the pattern to the port fat plank. Using a new #11 blade and very light, smooth strokes is was able trim the excess off. A light sanding and I had the plank trimmed to the starboard pattern. Job done. Symmetry between port and starboard looked good and measured perfectly. Sorry, but I didn’t take any pictures of the repair process, but I’ll post some pictures of the end results. 

Best Regards …. Rick

18 minutes ago, Freebird said:

Grant, thank you for the kind comment.

Thats exactly what I did. However, when I made the replacement, I placed it in the open blank and not knowing it, the blank expanded (I didn’t notice this), and my replacement part was a perfect fit, or so I thought. So I went about fitting the replacement plank on the hull and it fit very well. Next I fit the aft plank to finish the strake, and when I fit it, at the butt joint there was quite a mismatch in the width of the planks. I really didn’t give it much thought, so I finished fitting it and glued it in place to finish the strake. After I finish putting a strake down, I always check the symmetry from the bow and stern. Looking at the stern all was well. The bow was a different story. The port strake was about 1/16 higher (wider) and I’m thinking what the heck happened as all the previous strakes were even on both sides. I noticed my tick mark was covered, hmmmm….. So a grabbed a compass and made some measurements and found the replacement plank to be about 1/16 too wide it’s entire length. DOH! That’s when I figured out the pattern expanded when I check fit the replaced plank. Thinking back, I do remember that the plank kinda “snapped” into the blank. Not wanting to rip the plank off unless absolutely necessary, I slept on the problem. The. Next morning looking at the problem with a cup of coffee, I decided to trim off the excess width. I didn’t have anything to lose, right? If I messed it up the plank would come off. Anywho, I used some transparent tape and traced the plank from the starboard side and transferred the pattern to the port fat plank. Using a new #11 blade and very light, smooth strokes is was able trim the excess off. A light sanding and I had the plank trimmed to the starboard pattern. Job done. Symmetry between port and starboard looked good and measured perfectly. Sorry, but I didn’t take any pictures of the repair process, but I’ll post some pictures of the end results. 

Best Regards …. Rick

Your build is looking great.  I had to cut at least 6 new planks for my Medway.  It is my first ever build so a pretty steep learning curve.  I have made many mistakes but still look forward to the build.

Glad to hear you solved the problem Rick. I think all of us (except Chuck) have had to cut several new planks for this model.

The key is that with Chuck's designs if you have a problem, you know it is your doing and not his. This is not the case with all kits. I would say you are a quick learner. My best building technique is sleep. When something doesn't go right, I sleep on it. It's amazing the work I do in my sleep. My biggest problem when I was at your stage was making sure I didn't drill too far into the plank. I was slow to learn that you didn't want any holes showing on the inside.

Nice save on the replacement plank.  I had to make several new planks for my Medway as I had messed them up in trying to fit them to the hull.  You will place this learning experience in your brain for future builds.

Ryland

Thank you Ryland. And thanks to all for the likes!

Here’s where I’m at for the moment. Planking is completed except for the last 2 strakes on both sides, and here’s where I’m hitting a road block. When I place plank 15 in place and start the fitting process, the plank lies below the above plank. How can I get the correct shape (curve) so it is somewhat even with the plank? I’ve had a little stair casing, which I can see has added to the problem. Next, on port side at the front of the garboard strake, there’s a gap that needs to be filled. I guess that I put too much of a bevel on the adjoining plank and the gap opened up when sanding. What would be the best way to fix this without being obvious? At least it’s on the bottom and least likely to be seen. Thanks for the help!

Best Regards …. Rick

459F9962-F9AB-4238-8F28-65D5D082DB5B.jpeg

CD5CE35A-BD1C-43E3-A416-9813E1C8A34B.jpeg

91D0177D-1F9F-4167-A0C9-2DD8876F7FD0.jpeg

E6C8AD3E-F53F-471D-AB76-A9BCB8DBA75D.jpeg

Edited by Freebird

Short of replacing a plank, I would fill with a sliver of wood and sand flush..  Will not be visible on the upright model.

Luck is just another word for good preparation.

—MICHAEL ROSE

Current builds:    Rattlesnake (Scratch From MS Plans 

On Hold:  HMS Resolution ( AKA Ferrett )

In the Gallery: Yacht Mary,  Gretel, French Cannon