I’m moving along on HMS Sphinx and I noticed something I don’t understand. There are “Galley Doors” in the kit ,but they don’t seem to go anywhere or have any purpose. They are located directly behind the stove with a small space between the doors and the stove. The back of the stove has no opening , so those doors don’t lead anywhere or enclose anything. 

Any ideas?

487DEA5F-5FB0-4AFB-8AEA-31B26195F1F3.jpeg

AE776A4D-3AF2-47BC-89AA-A1F578DE6A2B.jpeg

Good question! I'm also building the HMS Sphinx, but don't have the answer.

Perhaps the purpose was to fool the ship's crew about where the food came from? I'm sure someone here will tell us. The little bricks are a good touch, but these doors - replete with hinges and doorknobs?

After contemplating the same question and thinking that the answer was a Zen koan*, I discarded them.

Ron

* What is the sound of one hand clapping?

Ron

Director, Nautical Research Guild

Secretary/Newsletter Editor, Philadelphia Ship Model Society

Former Member/Secretary for the Connecticut Marine Model Society

Current Build: Godspeed 2, (Wyoming, 6-masted Schooner)

Completed Builds: HMS Grecian, HMS Sphinx (as HMS CamillaOngakuka Maru, (Higaki Kaisen, It Takes A Village), Le Tigre Privateer, HMS Swan, HMS Godspeed, HMS Ardent, HMS Diana, Russian brig Mercury, Elizabethan Warship Revenge, Xebec Syf'Allah, USF Confederacy, HMS Granado, USS Brig Syren

I believe I read somewhere on MSW about those doors that there were/are removable panels on each side much like what's further astern.  

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

The doors and bulkheads were removable when clearing for action. In some ships the door section could be swung up under the forecastle out of the way in fine weather.

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

45 minutes ago, Goodshipvenus said:

But, why were they there in the first place?

Precisely. I get that they could be moved or opened. You and I still want to know WHY not HOW...

Ron

Edited by hollowneck

Ron

Completed Builds: HMS Grecian, HMS Sphinx (as HMS CamillaOngakuka Maru, (Higaki Kaisen, It Takes A Village), Le Tigre Privateer, HMS Swan, HMS Godspeed, HMS Ardent, HMS Diana, Russian brig Mercury, Elizabethan Warship Revenge, Xebec Syf'Allah, USF Confederacy, HMS Granado, USS Brig Syren

This has also puzzled me as well, between the Riding Bitts and the Galley stove there is barely room for doors to open. On my Pegasus build which has the same situation I fitted the cants on the deck into which the  Forecastle bulkhead fitted (Including the Galley Doors) but left off the  bulkhead as it obscured the view beneath the Foc’sle.

None of my reference books indicate why the doors were there only that they were a feature.

The bulkhead obviously provided weather protection/security but why not place the doors either side of the stove in the bulkhead.

There are many such questions that bedevil  us of the 21st century, but those of the 18th century no doubt had their reasons.

I am prepared to leave it at that and get on with the model building.

B.E.

My hunch is that the bulkhead and doors were there for foul weather protection and to retain heat in the space, and the doors were only partially opened to provide some ventilation.

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

Keeping in mind the wind and weather was always coming from aft quarters my best guess is to keep some of that from hitting food being prepared or fueling the fires on the stove, nothing more than a wind break.  I’m with BE though, while I appreciate Chris being true to the design I’ll leave it off because it obscures a view below the forecastle I’d have spent time building. No one is cooking anything on my models. 

Regards,

Glenn

Current Build: HMS Winchelsea
Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose

4 hours ago, druxey said:

My hunch is that the bulkhead and doors were there for foul weather protection and to retain heat in the space, and the doors were only partially opened to provide some ventilation.

I'll go with your hunch, druxey.

and...

49 minutes ago, glbarlow said:

Keeping in mind the wind and weather was always coming from aft quarters my best guess is to keep some of that from hitting food being prepared or fueling the fires on the stove, nothing more than a wind break.  I’m with BE though, while I appreciate Chris being true to the design I’ll leave it off because it obscures a view below the forecastle I’d have spent time building. No one is cooking anything on my models. 

or ...perhaps nothing more than "breaking wind." 🤣 This unexplained anachronism persists even with the kit's designer.  I had no reservations about deleting this door/screen arrangement on my build. Ironically, most everything else about this kit is very precise. The oven screen definitely obscures, especially when you're not opting to build an open reveal, quasi-Dockyard model.

Perhaps in 1775 there was still a Ministry of Silly Doors at the Admiralty?

Ron

Edited by hollowneck

Ron

3 minutes ago, hollowneck said:

most everything else about this kit is very precise.

I think Chris’ point was the doors are a precise rendering of the actual plans, even though he’s not sure what they’re for. And if Druxey doesn’t know….

Regards,

Glenn

Current Build: HMS Winchelsea
Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose

5 minutes ago, glbarlow said:

I think Chris’ point was the doors are a precise rendering of the actual plans, even though he’s not sure what they’re for. And if Druxey doesn’t know….

Yep, Glenn. I agree with your last words: if druxey doesn't know...

At the end of the day (and this thread) I hope Goodshipvenus is enlightened and has enough info to decide what to do.

Ron

Edited by hollowneck

Ron

The whole arraignment looks suspicious to me. Stove sits on a brick bed, an approved and practical safety precaution, then that built in safety consideration was overcame and made moot by the placement of flammable and well dried wood so close to a hot iron surface radiating heat. There are good reasons to maintain space between stoves and flammable surfaces. Then there are the considerations of actual use of the stove for cooking for a large crew and the space needed to do so. Something is very wrong with this picture. 

Unless we can go back in time to 1775, we shall never fully know the reasoning behind the onboard arrangements on a  British Naval ship.

Trying to equate 18th c practice with modern health and safety  concepts is a pointless exercise.

Sailors of any age  are if anything practical and I’m content to accept that they knew what they were doing.

Historical evidence does confirm that such screens were in use, whether we as modern model makers choose to display them or not.

B.E.

Jud, Suspicious perhaps, but look at the contemporary drawing of a 64 below and the fact that the bitts are a few inches from the stove.  If you research other contemporary drawings and you will see this practice was not uncommon.  Squirrel 1785 inboard profile below also shows how close the bulkhead is to the stove.   Hold a piece of wood or paper a few inches to the side of a hot  grill set at  500 or 600 degrees or a fire place and it does not catch fire.  (At least it didn't when I tried it) 😀

Allan

1475358779_Ardent_(1764)_Nassau_(1785)_UPPERDECKRMG_J3360.thumb.png.e01dcd4229f669e1d780eec04a08c654.png

1558841570_Squirrelb1785INBOARDPROFILE.thumb.jpg.f0d8418898558c4323e91a28df31b4e0.jpg

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

2 hours ago, jud said:

Stove sits on a brick bed, an approved and practical safety precaution, then that built in safety consideration was overcame and made moot by the placement of flammable and well dried wood so close to a hot iron surface radiating heat.

I wonder where on a wood ship you could avoid that problem? ( If it was a problem. )

FWIW, Lavery says the brick hearth was in disuse after 1757, but those bricks look more cool on a model..😀

image.png.75fee94625c60e48f3dec78bad8be6de.png

Luck is just another word for good preparation.

—MICHAEL ROSE

Current builds:    Rattlesnake (Scratch From MS Plans 

On Hold:  HMS Resolution ( AKA Ferrett )

In the Gallery: Yacht Mary,  Gretel, French Cannon