Rangeley Guide Boat by FriedClams - Finished - Circa 1910 - 1:18

Gary, what you've created is crazy cool.  If one didn't know better they would think you could just climb in and row to where the fish are, just perfect all the way around.  Regarding the seats:  I would bet they are/were surprisingly comfortable.  If you think about it, a hunting/fishing guide wants their clients to be as comfortable as possible during the outing.  If the boat designers added a lip to the thwarts so greenhorns don't drop/loose their tackle, you can bet the seating would be as sturdy/practicle and comfortable as possible.  You can bet a guide doesn't want to lose repeat clients because they suffered a two day case of TB from sitting on an uncomfortable seat all day.

Take care and be safe.

kev

Current Build:  HMS Bounty's Jolly Boat - Artesania Latina

On the shelf:  Oseberg #518 - Billing Boats

Its a little late, but you do have another coat of paint to apply. The Model Railroad Suppliers sell "Rivet Decals" These are little epoxy (I think) dimples on decal film. They might have some with the spacing you need to replicate the ones for your model.

• 1 month later...

Greetings fellow modelers. 

A belated thank you to Keith, Kev, Andy and Ron, for your comments.  How has an entire month gone by unnoticed?

On 4/23/2022 at 5:22 PM, Peanut6 said:

Regarding the seats:  I would bet they are/were surprisingly comfortable.  If you think about it, a hunting/fishing guide wants their clients to be as comfortable as possible during the outing.  If the boat designers added a lip to the thwarts so greenhorns don't drop/loose their tackle, you can bet the seating would be as sturdy/practicle and comfortable as possible.

I am sure you are correct on this point Kev.  It wouldn't take more than one or two complaints from clients about a sore bottom for the guide operators to fix that.  Thanks for checking out my log and for the nice words.

On 4/24/2022 at 8:52 AM, thibaultron said:

The Model Railroad Suppliers sell "Rivet Decals" These are little epoxy (I think) dimples on decal film.

Hello Ron.  Thanks, I didn't know about these epoxy rivet decal sheets, but I can think of many possible future uses.   

Finished

I've been working on this Rangeley model in fits and starts between outdoor projects and other activities.  But it is finally complete.

A couple of minor details have been added.  A fly rod and reel made of wood, brass and paper.

126772380_RB9-02-Copy.jpg.6ef7baa9a5d30e8376ea3a7362c395e7.jpg

And a tackle box of wood, styrene and brass.

2041863546_RB9-01-Copy.jpg.25456ae225a6a0c11f8b44f161f10e1b.jpg

Exposed rock ledge is visible everywhere in Maine and I reasoned it would make an appropriate base for the model. 

1276503696_RB9-03-Copy.jpg.c141b8716bdbb4532bfa2bb3db55b9da.jpg

Both ends of the boat got stern/bow lines.

2138435397_RB9-04-Copy.jpg.2a3316260e6ebb1f093bbc13926a75e3.jpg

I chipped high points off the rock until it sat flat without rocking and then attached felt feet to keep it from destroying our furniture.  Also, I epoxied a label to the underside.  The hull received a final coat of paint and everything was epoxied to the rock.

1356530044_RB9-05-Copy.jpg.79077bcd3e4b5f8e23f0be9ed6381e57.jpg

776420894_RB9-06-Copy.jpg.53f1392025359a7464fc2bb7c190c2b6.jpg

1224645549_RB9-07-Copy.thumb.jpg.563b020bacd29165228494446f01b732.jpg

1000995827_RB9-08-Copy.jpg.970131500f6d6bdb0ec835fd33486c17.jpg

1408944355_RB9-09-Copy.jpg.d152ec7ee9dbf8d5c4e9042570feb7a0.jpg

1078252283_RB9-10-Copy.jpg.1884dab120a3d256f3d0f94f92d8b5b1.jpg

392851062_RB9-11-Copy.jpg.9e7e0dd4513f3a99280fa1d3ab066c21.jpg

1791321820_RB9-12-Copy.jpg.7842bca0254a75b96364e16e3511c67c.jpg

2051941182_RB9-13-Copy.jpg.1d69498d191c04be3ce2a3b68a5b191e.jpg

1684090619_RB9-14-Copy.jpg.8e671e0f46709cd8f4c591b1fcb556d6.jpg

Thanks to all for stopping to take a look and for the “likes”.   And I especially want to thank everyone who has left comments.  Your thoughts, suggestions and support are always greatly appreciated and I thank you so much.

Be safe and stay well.

Gary

Edited by FriedClams

Current Build   Pelican Eastern-Rig Dragger  

Completed Scratch Builds

Rangeley Guide Boat   New England Stonington Dragger   1940 Auto Repair Shop   Mack FK Shadowbox    

Spectacular, what excellent detail.  The one and only thing I notice is that fly rod looks to be a bit short, unless its a fly rod type I'm not accomstumed to seeing.

Take care and be safe.

kev

Perfect, just absolutely perfect. Gary, the one thing you always manage to do is draw me into the scene you've created, thank you. 

Edited by Keith Black

I can only echo what everyone has said.   A truly outstanding model!  

No words can do it justice.

Cheers.

Ken

NO PIRACY 4 ME! (SUPPORTING CHUCKS' IDEA)

Current Build:  

Washington 1776 Galley

Pilot Boat Mary of Norfolk

Completed Builds:

Continental Boat Providence   (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build)

Continental Ship Independence  (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build)

Rattlesnake   (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build)

Armed Virginia Sloop  (from Completed Gallery)

Fair American (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build Log)

MemberShip Model Society of New Jersey

Nautical Research Guild

It is absolutely fabulous Gary, a proper little treasure. I am jealous.

Keith

Current Build:-

Cangarda (Steam Yacht) - Scale 1:24

Previous Builds:-

Schooner Germania (Nova) - Scale 1:36

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/19848-schooner-germania-nova-by-keithaug-scale-136-1908-2011/

Schooner Altair by KeithAug - Scale 1:32 - 1931

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/12515-schooner-altair-by-keithaug-scale-132-1931/?p=378702

J Class Endeavour by KeithAug - Amati - Scale 1:35 - 1989 after restoration.

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/10752-j-class-endeavour-by-keithaug-amati-scale-135-1989-after-restoration/?p=325029

Other Topics

Nautical Adventures

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13727-nautical-adventures/?p=422846

As a geologist, I offer special congratulations on a lovely use of natural rock! Oh, and the model's pretty nice too.

Thanks to all for the wonderful comments.  You are so kind, and I truly appreciate it.  And thanks for the "likes" and to those who have followed along quietly.

On 5/28/2022 at 2:33 PM, Peanut6 said:

The one and only thing I notice is that fly rod looks to be a bit short

Hello Kev - great observation and yes, you are correct– it is too short.  In full disclosure, it was several scale feet longer before I snapped the end off.

The rod is made from birch and is considerably thinner than a toothpick, even at the rods thickest end.  The tip was long and absurdly fine and my intent was to put a slight tension on the line and arc the rod tip gracefully downward.  It looked great for about 10 seconds, then . . . click.  I may give it another go using a different material at some future point, but the lazy slug in me says to replace the fly reel with a spinning reel instead.

15 hours ago, Cathead said:

As a geologist, I offer special congratulations on a lovely use of natural rock!

7 hours ago, wefalck said:

Also being a geologist, I would concour

Thanks Eric and Wefalck.  Yes, it is a fine rock and actually the model began with it.  I sat there staring at the rock and thinking, “it needs something more, it needs something on top of it” - like a pulled ashore open boat or . . .   Kidding, of course.   Thanks for looking in.

Be safe and stay well

Gary

Current Build   Pelican Eastern-Rig Dragger  

Completed Scratch Builds

Rangeley Guide Boat   New England Stonington Dragger   1940 Auto Repair Shop   Mack FK Shadowbox    

Gary, only noticed because I love fly fishing.  My Grandfather got me started when I was about 12.  So many great memories and way to many stories to tell.  The reel, seat, butt and handle look perfect and IMHO a fly rod really would be the better choice (thou I have launched many a Rooster Tail using a spinning rod out of a boat like this).  And with the bit of tension you intended, that would be the cherry on top of the powdered sugar on the icing of the cake.  Regardless of your final decision, a most impressive build and I want to thank you for bringing back very fond memories of fly fishing and fishing in general with Grandpa.   

Take care and be safe.

kev

• 2 weeks later...

Gary, this model is such a gem, and I'm sorry I missed its construction.  You are just too agile a builder for me.  I won't miss-out in the future, though.  I really loved the alignment tools that you made for the ribs.  Just beautiful!

We are all works in progress, all of the time.

• 2 months later...

Gary, Your work is always incredible! This is beautiful. Well done!!!

Paul

On the Ways: Mighty Mite, Harbor Tugboat by pwog - NautiCurso - 1:64

Completed Builds:

Lobster Boat Red Baron (Bluejacket)

Sardine Carrier Pauline (Bluejacket) 
Swampscott Dory (BlueJacket)