Should I request new parts?

Yowza!  That is a huge mismatch.  Without benefit of seeing the plans, I want to say the outer stem piece is on backwards.  (Not that I'VE ever done that before 🙄)

Chuck Seiler
San Diego Ship Modelers Guild
Nautical Research Guild

Current Build:: Colonial Schooner SULTANA (scratch from Model Expo Plans), Hanseatic Cog Wutender Hund, John Smith Shallop
Completed:  Missouri Riverboat FAR WEST (1876) Scratch, 1776 Gunboat PHILADELPHIA (Scratch 1/4 scale-Model Shipways plans)

Check Chuck's suggestion first.  It would appear from here that a bit of sanding and fitting is required as it's possible that while rmoving char, you went a bit too far in some areas or the char was too heavy and too deep. I would think a bit of fettling might just work.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

3 minutes ago, rudybob said:

The first picture shows I did not even take the char off. I should not have to fit and sand a laser cut this much. Thanks.

I missed that on the first photo.   I agree... order new parts as Model Shipways has a very good parts replacement policy. 

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

I will be curious to see if the replacement parts are any different.  As these are CNC/laser cut, unless they reprogram the tracking of the laser, the problem will remain the same.    

If you can, send a photo with your request so they can see the problem and make necessary adjustments.

MS has a very good reputation for good customer service.

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

23 hours ago, rudybob said:

I should not have to fit and sand a laser cut this much.

22 hours ago, allanyed said:

As these are CNC/laser cut, unless they reprogram the tracking of the laser, the problem will remain the same.    

That is why I think the part is just turned around.  Model Shipways doesn't have spaceshuttle tolerances, but they are pretty good.  This large of a discrepancy doesn't make sense.  This is a popular model and I think this large of a discrepancy would have been noted before. 

As previously mentioned, I have had this problem in the past and resolved it by flipping the part or moving it further along the curve.

Chuck Seiler
Nautical Research Guild

Current Build:: Colonial Schooner SULTANA (scratch from Model Expo Plans), Hanseatic Cog Wutender Hund, John Smith Shallop
Completed:  Missouri Riverboat FAR WEST (1876) Scratch, 1776 Gunboat PHILADELPHIA (Scratch 1/4 scale-Model Shipways plans)

6 hours ago, Chuck Seiler said:

That is why I think the part is just turned around.  Model Shipways doesn't have spaceshuttle tolerances, but they are pretty good.  This large of a discrepancy doesn't make sense.  This is a popular model and I think this large of a discrepancy would have been noted before. 

As previously mentioned, I have had this problem in the past and resolved it by flipping the part or moving it further along the curve.

The part only fits one way. There is no "turning around".  I moved it for best fit the first time I made this model. 

Space shuttle tolerances...no. Reasonable... Yes.  I requested new parts. If they say "Sure" I will see if it is just the way it is and then I will deal with "pretty good" tolerance.  Thanks  

turn.jpg

Edited by rudybob

Looking at the above pic I am seeing features I did not see in the earlier pic (hidden by clamps).  I was mistaken.  I look forward to seeing how this is resolved.

Chuck Seiler
Nautical Research Guild

• 4 weeks later...

It has been 28 days since I requested from Model Expo replacement parts. I sent three follow up e-mails. 

Here is what I believe will be their last response which I received today

"The order for your parts has been entered, but we are experiencing parts shipping delays due to our move to a new location. I can't say when the order will be shipped. Let me know if you wish to cancel.

Best Regards,
Parts Dept
Model Expo/Model Shipways

The key component of the e-mail is "I can't say when the order will be shipped. Let me know if you wish to cancel."

I think that roughly translates to go away kid ya bother me :-)

25 minutes ago, rudybob said:

The key component of the e-mail is "I can't say when the order will be shipped. Let me know if you wish to cancel."

I think that roughly translates to go away kid ya bother me 🙂

They might be legitimate, but yes that’s what it sounds like. If you were going to be painting that area of the build, you could assemble it and fill it.

Dave

Current builds: Rattlesnake

Completed builds: Lady Nelson

On the shelf: NRG Half Hull Project, Various metal, plastic and paper models

I put in a request for some replacement parts for my Bounty Launch build around a month ago and I’m still waiting too. In the meantime, I’ve been working on the Nisha and Bluenose while they get things sorted out.

They’re probably getting lots of emails by now about the status of replacement parts in their backlog, so to me their response sounds sincere and accurate, albeit frustrating.

I used Google StreetView for their current address and the place sure looks small given the size of their staff, equipment, and inventory of raw materials, finished parts, and kits. Hopefully they’ll have more room in their new location (don’t see how they could operate with less!). 

Jonathan

Current Build: Zulu - Lady Isabella

Completed Builds: Lowell GB Dory, Norwegian Pram, Lowell GB Dory Redux, Bounty Launch, Nisha, Lady Eleanor - Fifie
On the Shelf: Ranger, Erycina, HMS Alert, etc, etc.
Hibernating: Gunboat Philadelphia, Bluenose
In a Time Vault Due to Open in 2025: Syren

4 hours ago, rudybob said:

I think that roughly translates to go away kid ya bother me 🙂

No, it translates to:  " We are having shipping delays because we are moving.  You may cancel your order if you don't want to wait. "

Luck is just another word for good preparation.

—MICHAEL ROSE

Current builds:    Rattlesnake (Scratch From MS Plans 

On Hold:  HMS Resolution ( AKA Ferrett )

In the Gallery: Yacht Mary,  Gretel, French Cannon

2 hours ago, Gregory said:

No, it translates to:  " We are having shipping delays because we are moving.  You may cancel your order if you don't want to wait. "

Important point: It's not an "order" it's replacement for poorly crafted pieces. Why would I cancel that? I appreciate your post and hope you are correct. I just don't think you are

Hi rudybob, 

First, I agree with Allan that since this is a computer controlled laser-cutting process, replacement parts aren't going to be any better than what you got in the kit. 

Then, I went and looked at the kit I have in my closet, did a photocopy of the wood sheet, cut out the stem and overlaid it on the inner keel piece. To me, it basically looks like what you have, with the slight gap in the parts.

That said, I don't really see a problem with the build. The gap isn't ideal, but it's going to be hidden by the planking. The stem piece is design to sit in a certain way so that the scarf joint in the keel lines up with it. So, I'd just make sure that whatever you end up doing, that you don't rotate the stem out of position any, as you'll then have to modify the scarf joint a little.

As for ME customer service, though I do some work for Ages of Sail and ME is a direct competitor, I've always found their parts department to be very good. In my personal experience, they've just been poor at communicating. But, as pointed out earlier, they did just relocate again, so maybe that's created a bit of a work backlog.

Edited by catopower

Clare Hess

He's a -> "HE"

1 hour ago, catopower said:

Hi rudybob, 

First, I agree with Allan that since this is a computer controlled laser-cutting process, replacement parts aren't going to be any better than what you got in the kit. 

I concur regarding the replacement parts. I wanted to be sure I did not get a bum kit so I was waiting. My thought on computer controlled cutting is that it is only as bad as the programming and calibration allow it to be. I now have a definition for what's good enough.

Then, I went and looked at the kit I have in my closet, did a photocopy of the wood sheet, cut out the stem and overlaid it on the inner keel piece. To me, it basically looks like what you have, with the slight gap in the parts.

Yep. A critically important gap in my opinion. Everything comes off the keel so get that right. They did not. This is not billed as an advanced model this is for beginners. I have enough to learn out of the gate and one of them should not be jimmying the keel. 

That said, I don't really see a problem with the build. The gap isn't ideal, but it's going to be hidden by the planking. The stem piece is design to sit in a certain way so that the scarf joint in the keel lines up with it. So, I'd just make sure that whatever you end up doing, that you don't rotate the stem out of position any, as you'll then have to modify the scarf joint a little.

A problem right out of the gate for those not in the know...Me :-)

As for ME customer service, though I do some work for Ages of Sail and ME is a direct competitor, I've always found their parts department to be very good. In my personal experience, they've just been poor at communicating. But, as pointed out earlier, they did just relocate again, so maybe that's created a bit of a work backlog.

I can appreciate and sympathize with the work involved in moving an operation. I have done it twice.  I waited two weeks for correspondence before I recontacted them.  I told them if you aren't  going to replace the part and what they viewed in the picture I sent is "normal" let me know and I will move on. No threats, no harsh words. Not a word back until I contacted them again. When they wrote...I dunno when. 

I am not angry with Model Expo but I don't mind reporting what I have experienced so others may be advised.   

I really like the time you took to comment. It was well thought out and fair. Thanks

Good morning Rudybob

If you request a replacement part then you`ll get a new part that looks exactly like the one that came with the kit.

It`s a design issue rather than an execution or machining issue. The machine control is fed with vector graphics. It generates a toolpath.

The toolpath`s a code, a sequence of commands. The machine will follow the contour lines that it reads from the graphics file.

I don`t think that Modelexpo will adapt the drawing to compensate for mismatch between stem piece and false keel.

The contour line of the stem piece looks right to me. The contour line of the false keel should be congruent, but actually isn`t.

A portion of it`s curvature is too shallow.

So I`d fill that gap with a narrow strip that`s approx. half as wide as the false keel`s thickness is. The strip becomes part of the rabbet, then.

Hope you`ll succeed

Michael 

11 hours ago, bricklayer said:

Good morning Rudybob

If you request a replacement part then you`ll get a new part that looks exactly like the one that came with the kit.

It`s a design issue rather than an execution or machining issue. The machine control is fed with vector graphics. It generates a toolpath.

The toolpath`s a code, a sequence of commands. The machine will follow the contour lines that it reads from the graphics file.

I don`t think that Modelexpo will adapt the drawing to compensate for mismatch between stem piece and false keel.

The contour line of the stem piece looks right to me. The contour line of the false keel should be congruent, but actually isn`t.

A portion of it`s curvature is too shallow.

So I`d fill that gap with a narrow strip that`s approx. half as wide as the false keel`s thickness is. The strip becomes part of the rabbet, then.

Hope you`ll succeed

Michael 

Thank You. Great post!

Rudibob,

I`m glad that my previous post didn`t disencourage you. Continue your build in spite of those issues or flaws.

Don`t let daylight shine through that gap any longer. That`s all that matters at the moment.

I`m still convinced that the curvature of the stem piece is right and the curvature of the adjacent false keel is wrong.

3 hours ago, bricklayer said:

Rudibob,

I`m glad that my previous post didn`t disencourage you. Continue your build in spite of those issues or flaws.

Don`t let daylight shine through that gap any longer. That`s all that matters at the moment.

I`m still convinced that the curvature of the stem piece is right and the curvature of the adjacent false keel is wrong.

My build is a series of issues and flaws. I won't overcome all but learning is a good thing