HM Naval Cutter Alert by mtbediz - FINISHED - 1:36 Scale

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Very nicely done in an unusual scale. I find clinker easer than carvel planking. If using metal pins, I cut off the ends and push them in flush. Treenails I use coctail sticks which I thin down through a home made jeweller's draw plate and then sand flush. Black cartridge paper between the deck planks is a good substitute for caulking and tar (see below).

I shall look forward to future progress,

Mike

1/48 Schooner for Port Jackson (scratch built)

1689703098_Finishedaftdeck.jpg.2a2264e1caeb14d00e0ec7fdd6c4a7f4.jpg

1/48 HM Cutter Andromeda (kit based)

HM Cutter Andromeda 1-48 scale (C).jpg

Edited by mcpwilk
Correction of text

• 1 month later...

I am back at my shipyard after a long summer break. I started with the main hatchway to make the deck fittings. As always, I use milling machine when making the grating elements. I used a sandpaper that I attached to a pot to make the camber on the grating. (for those looking for a practical way to create this camber)

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

Looking good, Mustafa. I will remember the pot when I do my gratings. 👍

🌻

STAY SAFE

A model shipwright and an amateur historian are heads & tails of the same coin

current builds:

HMS Berwick 1775, 1/192 scratchbuild; a Slade 74 in the Navy Board style

Mediator sloop, 1/48 - an 18th century transport scratchbuild 

French longboat - CAF - 1/48, on hold

The gratings with head ledges and coamings are extremely well done!!  Your construction method is different than what I am used to but I am anxious to give it a try on a super small scale (1:196) project.  Just need to get a cutter that is about 0.015" or smaller.   

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

16 hours ago, allanyed said:

The gratings with head ledges and coamings are extremely well done!!  Your construction method is different than what I am used to but I am anxious to give it a try on a super small scale (1:196) project.  Just need to get a cutter that is about 0.015" or smaller.   

Allan

Thank you Allan. No, I don't think you can use my method at your model scale. I use 1,8 mm of cutter.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/21/2022 at 11:48 PM, CiscoH said:

Mustafa- looks great!

where are the cannons from?

and is that beech you are using for the carriages?

Thank you Cisco. I bought the brass cannons online  from a local hobby store. I am using hornbeam for the carriages and the other fittings.

Edited by mtbediz

Before any of the deck fittings is installed and while I can still do upside down the hull, I prefer to make and install the rudder at this stage of build. I am using the drawings in the Alert book for the rudder details.

45.jpg

46.jpg

47.jpg

48.jpg

49.jpg

She looks great!  I love that you rounded the axles for the trucks.   Did you round by hand or use an axle cutter like the one I made with a drill and hacksaw below?

Thanks

Allan

1979811495_Axletreesandcutter.jpg.54c2fcdaccc61a8936ada866a4362962.jpg

Edited by allanyed

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

On 10/14/2022 at 2:06 PM, allanyed said:

She looks great!  I love that you rounded the axles for the trucks.   Did you round by hand or use an axle cutter like the one I made with a drill and hacksaw below?

Thanks

Allan

1979811495_Axletreesandcutter.jpg.54c2fcdaccc61a8936ada866a4362962.jpg

Thank you Allan. I don't round the axles, I use round fake axles. I put the fake round axle extension on the wheel and glue the wheel on the axle.

23.jpg

Gluing the axle ends is an interesting variation.  Whatever works !!!  😀 

Allan