HM Naval Cutter Alert by mtbediz - FINISHED - 1:36 Scale

• 2 weeks later...

Great work, Mustafa. I am enjoying this.

🌻

STAY SAFE

A model shipwright and an amateur historian are heads & tails of the same coin

current builds:

HMS Berwick 1775, 1/192 scratchbuild; a Slade 74 in the Navy Board style

Mediator sloop, 1/48 - an 18th century transport scratchbuild 

French longboat - CAF - 1/48, on hold

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Your build continues to be exceptional.   One small thing that comes up on occasion, and I for one have not resolved in my own mind is the gun rigging.  According to Adrian Caruana in volume II of The History of  English Sea Ordnance 1715-1815 page 386, cannon on British vessels smaller than 32 pounders used two single blocks, not a single and double for the running out tackle.  Same for the train tackle.  I realize from the pics in your post #43, the drawing showd otherwise.  Plate VII in the Universal Dictionary of the Marine, by William Falconer seems to show the upper deck guns with what looks like a single and double and these would be guns smaller than 32's being on the upper deck.  Caruana shows a portion of this same plate on page 386 as well so it does not seem to be clear, at least to me.   Is it likely that different blocks were used on different ships or was there a rule regarding the blocks?  Hopefully a member can shed more light on this.

Thanks for sharing your build with us.

Allan

Edited by allanyed

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

1 hour ago, allanyed said:

Hopefully a member can shed more light on this.

Not more light, I'm sorry to say, but another variable to ponder. Surely the location of the weapon was a factor? Perhaps the absolutely identical rule of rigging was applied to a weapon whether it was in use as a bow chaser, on the gun deck or wheeled into the great cabin poste haste, or is it more likely the gun captain had discretion to do what suited his immediate needs best?

Since I do not claim to know the implications of having two single blocks on a gun instead of a single and a double there may be an answer obvious to someone who is deeper into the subject. However, single and double blocks are different tools and imply a different requitement. 

Just saying. I await flack.

🌻

STAY SAFE

A model shipwright and an amateur historian are heads & tails of the same coin

current builds:

HMS Berwick 1775, 1/192 scratchbuild; a Slade 74 in the Navy Board style

Mediator sloop, 1/48 - an 18th century transport scratchbuild 

French longboat - CAF - 1/48, on hold

16 hours ago, allanyed said:

Your build continues to be exceptional.   One small thing that comes up on occasion, and I for one have not resolved in my own mind is the gun rigging.  According to Adrian Caruana in volume II of The History of  English Sea Ordnance 1715-1815 page 386, cannon on British vessels smaller than 32 pounders used two single blocks, not a single and double for the running out tackle.  Same for the train tackle.  I realize from the pics in your post #43, the drawing showd otherwise.  Plate VII in the Universal Dictionary of the Marine, by William Falconer seems to show the upper deck guns with what looks like a single and double and these would be guns smaller than 32's being on the upper deck.  Caruana shows a portion of this same plate on page 386 as well so it does not seem to be clear, at least to me.   Is it likely that different blocks were used on different ships or was there a rule regarding the blocks?  Hopefully a member can shed more light on this.

Thanks for sharing your build with us.

Allan

Thank you Allan. I know very little about the history of ship equipment and I can't say that I have done much in-depth research. I'm just trying to stick to the drawings in Goodwin's Alert book for my model. If I just think logical about what you're talking, I think that a single and a double block should have been used for the larger cannons, and two single blocks should have been used for the smaller and lighter cannons.

Edited by mtbediz

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Mustafa once again an admirable work you show us.

Auf der Werkbank:

Corvette La Palme (L'Amarante) von 1744 POF nach Plänen von Ancre

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/32046-la-palme-by-tobias-136-pof/

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/29843-le-coureur-1776-by-tobias-caf-148/

LE ROCHEFORT - Hafenyacht von 1787 1:36 von Tobias (Monographie von ANCRE)

A fantastic project Mustafa and lots of admirable work going into it. I really like larger scale ships, where detailing is pure fun. When I'm grown up wooden modelling wise, I will build something similar.
It's a pure pleasure to follow your wonderful build and the comprehensive documentation.

Cheers Rob

Current builds:  AEG G.IV Creature of the Night - WNW - 1/32
                             McLaren Mp4/6 - Ayrton Senna - Fujimi - 1/20 - paused
                             Duchess of Kingston - paused 

Finished builds: F4U-1A Corsair - Tamiya 1/32

USS Arizona 1/350 Eduard
                             Caudron C.561 French Racing Plane 1/48
                             Nachtigall on Speed Arado 234 B-2N by DocRob - 1/32 - Fly

Renault RE20 Turbo - Tamiya - 1/12
                             P-38J Wicked Woman - Tamiya - 1/48

15 hours ago, DocRob said:

A fantastic project Mustafa and lots of admirable work going into it. I really like larger scale ships, where detailing is pure fun. When I'm grown up wooden modelling wise, I will build something similar.
It's a pure pleasure to follow your wonderful build and the comprehensive documentation.

Cheers Rob

Rob, thank you very much for your interest. Yes, the larger scale is more advantageous in terms of detail work.

Jeez, Mustafa...  don't know how I missed this build of yours, as the Alert is one of my favorite little vessels!

Your work is coming along beautiful; the attention to detail is astounding, and being your first clinker hull, it is beautiful!  By the way, how did you assemble the clinker hull?  Did you create the lapstrake type joint?  If so, how did you manage to create it?

Many thanks for your time, and keep the beautiful work coming!!!  

Merry Christmas!  :)

Jorge

On 12/25/2022 at 6:05 PM, Jorge Hedges said:

Jeez, Mustafa...  don't know how I missed this build of yours, as the Alert is one of my favorite little vessels!

Your work is coming along beautiful; the attention to detail is astounding, and being your first clinker hull, it is beautiful!  By the way, how did you assemble the clinker hull?  Did you create the lapstrake type joint?  If so, how did you manage to create it?

Many thanks for your time, and keep the beautiful work coming!!!  

Merry Christmas!  :)

Jorge

Thanks for stopping by, Jorge. Merry Christmas to you too. This build has two layers of planking. I glued the planks to the first layer and to themselves with super glue. But before attaching, I made the necessary tapering and bending of the planks.

Edited by mtbediz

• 2 weeks later...