RN Roma by RGL - FINISHED - Trumpeter - 1/350 - PLASTIC

Excellent work. I’m a big fan of Regia Marina ships as well. I scratch built Cesare last year, and Duilio the year before. A few years back I built Littorio, but she wasn’t a scratch build. Fantastic fun. 

Some of your reference photos are of Littorio and VV though,. I’d hate to see you go down the wrong path on some of the details. 

Can’t wait to see more !

So I’m stuck at home for 7 days in ‘Rona’ isolation. Time to bite the bullet and attack the hull which Is a pig. Every other build mentions this. The hull plates are way too deep and pretty much wrong, which means I’m going to have to drill out the porthole fire and after and add ringols after significant sanding. 

the portholes amidships are already closed and I’ll open them up and add the port hole covers. Nearly all of the deck details  will have to be cut off and replaced. It’s like being a little bit pregnant 

E03E6B33-C2FD-4C45-8178-48CDBFDF5612.jpeg

9C419937-B102-4DB7-8AC2-CB76004B06B3.jpeg

E2853FA9-8477-44BF-8FF7-CEE1777D52A4.jpeg

Edited by RGL

Greg

Sanding, filling, sanding. Hull is finally ready for a primer coat so I can etch  in the hull panels. 0CA7E60A-9177-4035-AC30-AA55C0F89037.thumb.jpeg.0e21891a6e752c2c5c25920dfa77187b.jpeg

The shafts and rudder put in, with the two secondary rudders moved up the hull as is required (apparently)8C970CF5-A8AF-43CA-93F6-E381A52330C0.thumb.jpeg.50f76f0ede84d07704c4c90772f3bd47.jpeg

I’ve removed all the vents which will be replaced 42942F1F-E530-47A3-9682-1C63C3B35EA1.thumb.jpeg.345b45569b212ce3956992ba7fe101f4.jpeg

ive also drilled in some holes for the ladders on the hull 

EC96FCE0-2F27-4DF9-89AC-A6AF731C31E3.thumb.jpeg.1816f0f39c50722999aa2cac88b9e928.jpeg

Greg

6 hours ago, RGL said:

Nothing like a primer coat to show off your sins. Seriously Trumpeter just does not care at times. Every person who’s built this has said the same thing, the hull is a pig to put together. 

That is surprising from Trumpeter. I was looking at the Yamato 1/200 hull, which is made of two parts. Because of the aluminum bracing that is securing the two halves, it is hard to see the junction. If you don't pay attention, you would think the hull was molded of one part.

I wonder if ROMA is an old kit..... Maybe it was done by a different team.

Yves

15 hours ago, RGL said:

Nothing like a primer coat to show off your sins. Seriously Trumpeter just does not care at times. Every person who’s built this has said the same thing, the hull is a pig to put together. 

0F9CA47A-CDCB-448E-A65F-46DD3242E4B7.jpeg

Don't prime it next time, or use black!

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

Because the hull has been designed as a waterline but the central deck in also moulded in as well as support structures. When you join the base and the upper works it has a 1mm edge to sit it on. I have had to cut out bits of plastic soni  can get my fingers in to try and get it to sit flush. 

Greg

On 6/24/2022 at 1:31 AM, RGL said:

Because the hull has been designed as a waterline but the central deck in also moulded in as well as support structures. When you join the base and the upper works it has a 1mm edge to sit it on. I have had to cut out bits of plastic soni  can get my fingers in to try and get it to sit flush. 

That's 35 cm!!! A huge ridge if you'd ask me.

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

Oil canning was primarily caused by welding- specifically shrinkage of heavy fillet welds attaching plating to frames.  Although there were some welded ships built as early as the 1920’s it really only came into common usage during World War II as it was needed to mass produce the huge number of ships required by the allies in a short period of time, often in “cornfield shipyards” with newly hired labor.  In some cases the results were just barely good enough to fight the war- Liberty Ships and T-2 Tanker hull failures.

Roma and her sisters would therefore have had riveted hulls and no oil canning and of course, armored areas would be too thick to oil can regardless of the fabrication technique.

Roger

Now it may not seem like much, but I’ll filled in the massive hull plates that a person would be able to stand on and also drilled out the amidships portholes which will have porthole covers open if they can ever clear the airlines at Sydney airport. Once I be done the deck (next painting job), I can do the splinter camo scheme on the hull and superstructures that should blend it in nicely. 

DF2D790F-2873-4AAA-9218-5428CBECFFE7.jpeg

98E99B5B-74F6-4A3F-A056-537F75532754.jpeg

Edited by RGL

Greg

Lots of big boxes Greg; will these [all the extra parts] 'sink' the smaller kit ;)  Yep, interested!

cheers

Pat

Edited by BANYAN

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)