RN Roma by RGL - FINISHED - Trumpeter - 1/350 - PLASTIC

Beautiful prints, Greg.  Superb detailing. WOW.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

Those look stunning, I have in mind a few 1/350 RN subjects and had looked at this company, but wasn't sure, the quality you have there has made up my mind.

Now I just need to plan what I would need for a few projects to make the postage work for me and get a few items/projects in together.

Thanks for sharing a look at your goodies Greg. 👍

3 hours ago, yvesvidal said:

With all these spare parts, I am starting to wonder if buying the kit is really necessary..... 🙂

Yves

I know, Greg probably has enough ‘spares’ to equip an entire 1/350 fleet. 🤣

But I understand, once you know there is something more accurate out there, well,  that is one awful scratch to not itch!

If you are going to build a “Roma” you probably only doing it once, so might as well do it right! 👏

Edited by AJohnson

18 hours ago, RGL said:

Who’s interested?

🥳👌🎁

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

6 hours ago, RGL said:

3D and PE are very different creatures, Flyhawk does great PE to a point but the complexity is somewhat a different level 

Which is why you can build it faster if you use 3D printed parts ... where is the agony and headaches, the joy of loosing parts in the carpet monster's jaws ... the search for the missing "link" ...

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

26 minutes ago, cog said:

Which is why you can build it faster if you use 3D printed parts ... where is the agony and headaches, the joy of loosing parts in the carpet monster's jaws ... the search for the missing "link" ...

Oh, how we suffer for our Art! 😆

That said, I bet you have to be careful separating some of the printed parts from the little "stalks" 🤯

Yes, sir. It's just as easy to launch a 3D part as a PE one. I need to do my work in a white room, so when a part goes pinging off into the next dimension, I stand a chance of quickly finding the pieces/part. Luckily,of late, it's been a tad easier, since the basswood & styrene shapes I'm working with are light colored.

Ken

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

4 hours ago, RGL said:

So I’ll take the dogs for a walk then start masking the whole deck again and all the dark blue bits. 

4CB71D0A-095F-4C97-A288-5BC351C3D465.jpeg

strange dogs they have downundah. The one in front we would call a cat up here ...

13 hours ago, Canute said:

Yes, sir. It's just as easy to launch a 3D part as a PE one. I need to do my work in a white room, so when a part goes pinging off into the next dimension, I stand a chance of quickly finding the pieces/part. Luckily,of late, it's been a tad easier, since the basswood & styrene shapes I'm working with are light colored.

You wear a straitjacket too?

Carl

Nice painting, I found that some tape works better against bleeding than others. Further more a q-tip rubbing the edges helped me to avoid most of the bleeding. Nice painting though

Carl

On 7/8/2022 at 9:04 AM, RGL said:

3D and PE are very different creatures, Flyhawk does great PE to a point but the complexity is somewhat a different level 

I think Flyhawk produces the best plastic in the market, turrets, funnels, airplanes, all comes in great detail even in 1/700 scale, plus the PE

Now for the 3D parts I found myself enjoying design and print my parts. I

This may take more time than scratchbuilding but while increasing my design skills hopefully the overall time will be shorten. Results are satisfactory although there's always space for improvement

IMG_20220707_173801.thumb.jpg.5c5b7eca25940610a6289d3753d8262b.jpgIMG_20220629_175506.thumb.jpg.e9dfdb02b2ecd378e0fef74190c48edf.jpgIMG_20220623_161345.thumb.jpg.03b401fa20dfd34b7be8203e996e46d2.jpg

Same for me with drawing. I can give a sketch to a friend of mine with a laser cutter for special pieces/ parts.

And that's a rubber room for that straitjacket, Carl. White room is a super clean space, which ain't gonna happen either. It's a basement. Floor is dark, hides dirt. Also hides anything dark, like many model parts.

Ken