Next NRG Conference

The new Director of the Channel Islands Museum has said the museum is too small for us to have our conference there so there will not be a conference there.  The date/location of the next conference is unknown at this time.

Kurt Van Dahm

Director

NAUTICAL RESEARCH GUILD

www.thenrg.org

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS

CLUBS

Nautical Research & Model Ship Society of Chicago

Midwest Model Shipwrights

North Shore Deadeyes

The Society of Model Shipwrights

Butch O'Hare - IPMS

Did the place get smaller or is it the NEW Director change the policy on hosting events.

He/she probably heard what a rowdy bunch we are.  :cheers:

Chuck Seiler
San Diego Ship Modelers Guild
Nautical Research Guild

Current Build:: Colonial Schooner SULTANA (scratch from Model Expo Plans), Hanseatic Cog Wutender Hund, John Smith Shallop
Completed:  Missouri Riverboat FAR WEST (1876) Scratch, 1776 Gunboat PHILADELPHIA (Scratch 1/4 scale-Model Shipways plans)

• 11 months later...

Sadly so.  We are still hiding from COVID.

Chuck Seiler
San Diego Ship Modelers Guild
Nautical Research Guild

Current Build:: Colonial Schooner SULTANA (scratch from Model Expo Plans), Hanseatic Cog Wutender Hund, John Smith Shallop
Completed:  Missouri Riverboat FAR WEST (1876) Scratch, 1776 Gunboat PHILADELPHIA (Scratch 1/4 scale-Model Shipways plans)

8 hours ago, Chuck Seiler said:

We are still hiding from COVID.

Huge applause to those that organize the conference as I cannot imagine the work that goes into organizing such an event and hoping there are enough attendees to make it worth all that effort.  But, is covid the reason to cancel??   Regardless, 'tis a shame.

Edited by allanyed

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

I would like to suggest Bremerton WA. You have the Naval Museum at the Puget Sound Naval shipyard and the Undersea Warfare Museum at Torpedotown Keyport Wa and I know the undersea museum has plenty of space.

Regards,

Jim Rogers

Damn the Torpedoes , Full speed ahead.   Adm David Farragut.

1 hour ago, Jim Rogers said:

I would like to suggest Bremerton WA. You have the Naval Museum at the Puget Sound Naval shipyard and the Undersea Warfare Museum at Torpedotown Keyport Wa and I know the undersea museum has plenty of space.

I second the suggestion that a hard look at the PNW be made.   Aside from Bremerton, which has historic ship museums, an undersea museum as well as a healthy maritime tradition it also has the Center for Wooden Boats, the School of Wooden Boat Building and the annual Wooden Boat Festival.  Im positive a location could be had at reasonable prices with choice accommodation collocated.    I also live here...  which is a bonus for me :).

When we decide that an event is possible we will absolutely keep Bremerton in mind.  A conference needs a minimum of 18 months lead time and 24 months is a lot better.   I have added your names as contacts in Bremerton if we consider it as a future Conference or regional seminar location.

Kurt Van Dahm

Director

NAUTICAL RESEARCH GUILD

www.thenrg.org

CLUBS

North Shore Deadeyes

Butch O'Hare - IPMS

We toured the USS New Jersey  2X.   A lot of places to see for the first time before we do it again.

Kurt Van Dahm

Director

NAUTICAL RESEARCH GUILD

www.thenrg.org

CLUBS

North Shore Deadeyes

Butch O'Hare - IPMS

Something else to consider for the conference is how the location impacts attendance. Places like LA, Chicago, New England etc are home to a lot more ship modelers, and are more likely to attend a conference there than some place far away. I suspect few people would attend a conference in Hawaii-even though it has a rich maritime history (and is a great vacation spot to boot)

Having lived in the PNW and ship modeling here for 40 years, I'd love to see an NRG conference here. But I'm not sure what attendance would be.

My opinion only. Your mileage may vary. . .

Thanks,

Harvey

Possibles ... 

The Mariners Museum in Newport News, VA. - many artifacts on display including the Monitor remains, close to Colonial Williamsburg and other historic attractions

The Independence Seaport Museum in Philadelphia - exhibits plus the U.S.S. Olympia, close to the Museum of the Revolution & historic sites, travel by Amtrak is possible due to the proximity of Pennsylvania station

The Mystic Seaport Museum in Mystic CT

Baltimore 'Inner Harbor' area (would need a hotel venue close to the harbor exhibits)

Completed builds:  Khufu Solar Barge - 1:72 Woody Joe

Current project(s): Gorch Fock restoration 1:100, Billing Wasa (bust) - 1:100 Billings, Great Harry (bust) 1:88 ex. Sergal 1:65

Thanks.  We have been to all these locations - some multiple times. 

Kurt Van Dahm

Director

NAUTICAL RESEARCH GUILD

www.thenrg.org

CLUBS

North Shore Deadeyes

Butch O'Hare - IPMS

HKurt,  

Accessibility.  For those of that need to fly to attend, we are stuck with the airlines’ hub and spoke System.  IMHO the airlines do a pretty good job flying from hub to hub. Service to spoke destinations from hubs is often much poorer, especially as this is sometimes contracted out to a small regional carrier.  A conference destination close to a major airline hub is therefore looking more desirable especially for older members like me who don’t tolerate the more frequently occurring airline chaos. This does not prevent selection of some otherwise unlikely locations.  For example, National Great Lakes Maritime Museum.  It’s located in Toledo, Ohio, hardly a major travel destination; BUT-  Toledo is located within an hours drive from the Detroit Metropolitan Airport, a Major Delta Hub.

For those of us that attend with our spouses the availability of safe, interesting destinations for them is important.  IMHO this pretty much eliminates Baltimore. 

My my wife and I thought that Mystic, CT and New Bedford, MA were inspired choices.  Each within easy drives from NYC LaGuardia and interesting for spouses.

A final thought-  During my lifetime I have noticed that the most successful events are often those organized around a predictable formula.  This is true for the Lion’s Club Pancake Breakfast as well as Huge Trade Shows.  SO-  Maybe pick three destinations; East Coast, West Coast, Midwest that meet Criteria, and establish ongoing relationships for venue, lodging, catering, etc.  How about Mystic, CT, San Diego, CA, Chicago.  Rotate in successive years.  

Roger 

Edited by Roger Pellett

Yeah, 'guess the major East Coast maritime museums have all been previous sites for the NRG ... and I'm a recent new member.  So what about ...

The Erie Maritime museum and U.S. Brig Niagara in Eire, PA

The Maritime Museum of Sandusky, OH - just west of Cleveland

The U.S.S. Cairo Museum in Vicksburg, MS

Completed builds:  Khufu Solar Barge - 1:72 Woody Joe

Current project(s): Gorch Fock restoration 1:100, Billing Wasa (bust) - 1:100 Billings, Great Harry (bust) 1:88 ex. Sergal 1:65

In the Northeast we hold an annual joint clubs meeting at the same place and time every year, and it draws 100 modelers. Always the last Saturday in April, at the Port & Starboard convention center in New London CT. Here is a video of this year's conference:

So the idea of a rotating but repeat location is very attractive.

I personally would attend a NRG Conference in Mystic on a regular basis:

A beautiful hotel.

A town that my wife feels comfortable exploring while I attend the meeting.

There are always enough new things happening the the Seaport to keep me coming back.

Other things to see nearby- Submarine Force Museum, Coast Guard Academy.

Good restaurants

A reasonable drive to Herreshoff Museum

Accessible to NYC LaGuardia Airport with nonstop flights to major Airline Hubs

Roger

I agree with Roger with regards to a regular NRG meeting in Mystic (or Newport News or Annapolis). But to be fair I would think it could alternated with a West Coast NRG meeting. If memory serves me well all the largest NRG meetings I've attended have been on either coast. Perhaps not fair to our interior members but we need to attract as many members as possible to our annual meeting.

Greg

website
Admiralty Models

moderator Echo Cross-section build
Admiralty Models Cross-section Build

Finished build
Pegasus, 1776, cross-section

Current build
Speedwell, 1752

We have had very good attendance at the last couple of annual meetings - virtual.  I think you meant conference where we hold the meeting.

Kurt Van Dahm

Director

NAUTICAL RESEARCH GUILD

www.thenrg.org

CLUBS

North Shore Deadeyes

Butch O'Hare - IPMS

Actually my suggestion was three locations in rotation-  East Coast, West Coast, Midwest, but the same city, venue, etc. each time in each.  One reason for this is to make life easier  for volunteer committee members.

Annapolis would work.  It is close to three major airports and the Naval Academy Museum is an obvious draw.  Unfortunately it is no longer the quiet Naval Academy town that I used to like to visit.

Newport News/ Norfolk is of course rich in maritime history.  If you include the Norfolk Naval Shipyard it has the most to offer of all three.  Not close to a major airport and I’m not sure if it would appeal to spouses.

Roger