IDF Sho't Kal "Gimel" Tank by CDW - FINISHED - Amusing Hobby - 1:35 Scale

CDW

1 hour ago, CDW said:

An interesting question to be sure. Seems they would be a dust magnet. 

They did have some issues with heavy dust conditions according two Wikipedia.  Very few moving parts and a quick cleaning could fix it in short order.   I wonder if they put some sort of cover over them on the tank? Or even took them inside?    Seems if you need to use it, but have to clean it out first would be a serious problem.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

I think that they could be close quarters, close range weapons only and would be stored in this location only when engaging in urban actions. Not as much dust as everyone is moving relatively slowly as well as probably having paved roads. Most times the crew, other than the driver, will also be more fully exposed and a personal weapon on the outside would be quicker to deploy and have a broader field of fire.

Edited by lmagna

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

5 minutes ago, CDW said:

Marines could not tolerate that condition for their rifle. Ooo-rahh

I believe that to be a true statement.  Over in 'Nam, they'd put condoms on the muzzle and wrap a bit of clear wrap around the breech when a heavy trek was done.  Those of us who were air wing... nah...  we flew above the dust mostly. 

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

We used condoms as well but it was for the rain especially during monsoon. Plenty of oil present to stop rust, (In most cases) but the rain was sometimes heavy enough to fill the barrel!

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

1 hour ago, lmagna said:

I think that they could be close quarters, close range weapons only and would be stored in this location only when engaging in urban actions. Not as much dust as everyone is moving relatively slowly as well as probably having paved roads. Most times the crew, other than the driver, will also be more fully exposed and a personal weapon on the outside would be quicker to deploy and have a broader field of fire.

I believe you are exactly correct on this…urban combat

1 hour ago, mtaylor said:

I believe that to be a true statement.  Over in 'Nam, they'd put condoms on the muzzle and wrap a bit of clear wrap around the breech when a heavy trek was done.  Those of us who were air wing... nah...  we flew above the dust mostly. 

I have buddies whose go bags are still embedded with desert sand/dust from the early 90’s engagement. The stuff is super fine and gets all over everything.

26 minutes ago, CDW said:

One of the 30 cal machine gun mounts.

Those are some fine looking M1919A1's.... great molding work to produce those...

Current Build: F-86F-30 Sabre by Egilman - Kinetic - 1/32nd scale

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

Terminated Build: F-104C Starfighter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

"Relish Today, Ketchup Tomorrow"

The monsoons in SEA could produce rainfall rates exceeding 2 inches an hour. Veritable gully washers. We had big canals around the runway to route the water away from the concrete. No fun landing in the water. You turn into a big tricycle and need the tailhook to stop. Really disrupts flight ops. 😉

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

That is one loaded and detailed model.  I can't believe the detail and parts for this model.  Excellent work.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Busy looking tank. This from a fairly new company. The fit looks really good.

Nice shade of primer, Craig. I'm building a batch of circus wagons for a circus train; since it's Ringling Brothers, they are primarily red, so I'm going to use a yellow primer. Don't think it has a descriptive naming like yours.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

The first of a four color modulation went on the turret. Paints are Mr. Color. Highly reduced at around 6 parts thinner to 2 parts paint, each color is laid down in multiple thin coats to preserve the details underneath. Less is more in terms of paint per coat. Each successive coat will be lighter and certain areas will be picked out to add depth. Working with lacquer has the benefit of fast drying time between coats laid down thin.

E9642490-3228-436A-B16D-7BB1E60BDA1A.jpeg

D8A229C5-3600-4501-9222-EBC6599E7233.jpeg

E57C1577-B65C-48C5-965E-BF13627BC02A.jpeg

We had big canals around the runway to route the water away

19 hours ago, Canute said:

We had big canals around the runway to route the water away

We had them on the field and on base. One of my buddies had to jump into one on a night when we received some morter rounds during monsoon season. It was mostly empty but it had rained for several hours that day and was more mud than anything when he went in partly face first! Took him an hour to bet showered down and look human again. We called him "Swamp Thing" after that.

Craig

Do they explain what the bump on the barrel is in the instructions? I suspect not as that kind of information is a thing of the past in model building but to me it looks like an iron sight on a rifle????🤔

Edited by lmagna

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

2 hours ago, CDW said:

I thought Lou was talking about the bump at the tip of the barrel.

He was, it's part of the gun stabilization system... The Abrams has a similar one as well

Current Build: F-86F-30 Sabre by Egilman - Kinetic - 1/32nd scale

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

Terminated Build: F-104C Starfighter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

"Relish Today, Ketchup Tomorrow"

7 hours ago, Egilman said:

He was, it's part of the gun stabilization system... The Abrams has a similar one as well

Yes I was but Jacks movie taught me about the question I didn't ask so I still learned something new. Not too hard as I know almost nothing about tanks. 

I have seen similar items on tanks like the Abrams but on those barrels they look like some kind of electronic device. I suppose that this is what holds the barrel on target so the tank can fire while still moving as that gizmo is holding the target in the sights. 

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey