IDF Sho't Kal "Gimel" Tank by CDW - FINISHED - Amusing Hobby - 1:35 Scale

CDW

From Tank-Encyclopedia dot com:

The Israeli Sho’t

The Israeli Army took the best the Centurion had to offer. The first purchase of Centurions Mk. 5, in the early sixties, arrived right in time to help improve an army which was until then equipped mostly with Sherman tanks and light French AMX-13s among other types. The Centurion was the IDF’s first and main battle tank for years, as it became legendary in 1967 and saw extensive modernization campaigns. The biggest change for the local Sho’t (Hebrew for “scourge” or “whip”), was the Continental AVDS-1790-2A diesel engine coupled with the Allison CD850-6 transmission (1970). The Sho’t Kal upgrade (1974) saw the introduction of Mk. 13 armor and pintle mount 0.50 cal (12.7 mm) HMG. The Kal Alef, Bet, Gimel and Dalet were upgrades for the turret rotating mechanism, gun stabilizer, fire-control system and ultimately a new ERA composite armor (Dalet). Now retired or sold, their chassis are still in use through conversions.

The track links are beautifully molded, the best I have seen in a model kit so far. All the individual links are separated in a bag and do not require the tedious cutting from a sprue and cleanup. However, the intended “working” feature is not a practical one as its almost impossible to snap the links together without breaking a hinge pin. Therefore I will be cementing my links together once I have conformed them around the sprockets and idler wheels which won’t be until after I have painted the lower hull and wheels.

2E32EEEB-992A-40D8-A4C4-5B490EBAF01D.jpeg

moving right along........very nice detail :)  I wonder if that brace in the front is the attachment point for a mine sweeper.  I saw a kit on old model kits the other day that had such an attachment on the tank

1780792469_trumpeterkit.jpg.2f99e13acbcdc0d0d3f0d9cf5984befa.jpg  1019064115_minesweeper.jpg.c284a4015c5b9a80d649f2e90cde27be.jpg

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

With the track links assembled, moved on to the aft end of the hull where the kit provides a considerable amount of detail. The box on the upper right of the hull is a communications box. Inside is a photo etch brass receiver bracket and a handset. The small door laying below unattached could be posed open to show off the detail if one desired to do a diorama.

AB2F7ABC-F852-4F28-9B71-80EE16404891.jpeg

D6B3F465-E4DF-4EA6-9D35-9958428E1702.jpeg

19B1D2B6-0870-4120-9ED3-63DE9638ADD5.jpeg

BFD41A70-B66D-4016-A4FE-6D35375D6203.jpeg

52CEF692-6C41-4DB2-88BC-5F956F29C3BB.jpeg

Edited by CDW

Looking good brother... Setting the tracks is the right move in my opinion, they are nice looking tracks, production molding is getting better and better...

Current Build: F-86F-30 Sabre by Egilman - Kinetic - 1/32nd scale

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

Terminated Build: F-104C Starfighter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

"Relish Today, Ketchup Tomorrow"

2 minutes ago, Egilman said:

Looking good brother... Setting the tracks is the right move in my opinion, they are nice looking tracks, production molding is getting better and better...

And new company names are popping up all over the place. This is my first Amusing Hobby kit. At first, I thought maybe this kit was a re-pop of the AFV Club kit, but it's not. All I know is the kit is made in China, but I am inclined to believe maybe the parent company is out of Japan.

Slow and steady. The upper hull is a multi piece affair with photo etch yet to be added. 
I moved 42 heavy boxes down a flight of stairs today and loaded them on a truck. Going to take it easy the remainder of the night. Got my cardiovascular exercise for the day. Have not done that much stair climbing in a long time. Reminds me of my football training when I was a lad. 

4718B8CA-A5CE-4571-9164-EDD4AFD678AF.jpeg

46445992-4A03-4E54-A0AA-668FCB5ECE0B.jpeg

1 hour ago, CDW said:

The Sho’t Kal was a big tank.

Yep, they were bulky....

Going to be a nice addition to the collection....

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

The idea of counterexplosion (kontrvzryv in Russian) in armor was first proposed by the Scientific Research Institute of Steel (NII Stali) in 1949 in the USSR by academician Bogdan Vjacheslavovich Voitsekhovsky (1922–1999). The first pre-production models were produced during the 1960s. However, insufficient theoretical analysis during one of the tests resulted in all of the prototype elements being blown up. For a number of reasons, including the accident, as well as a belief that Soviet tanks had sufficient armor, the research was ended. No more research was conducted until 1974 when the Ministry of the Defensive Industry announced a contest to find the best tank protection project.

A West German researcher, Manfred Held carried out similar work with the IDF in 1967–1969.[2] Reactive armor created on the basis of the joint research was first installed on Israeli tanks during the 1982 Lebanon war and was judged very effective.

The Sho't Kal Gimel has the distinction of carrying the first instances of reactive armor. In these photos, I have just installed the ERA on the upper hull. Also the battering ram has been shown here in its position.

23DF9C15-2BF0-46BA-96EF-04F02751610C.jpeg

036838D2-0BCB-44BD-9A50-6D666E64B549.jpeg

Edited by CDW

Interesting design. Openings look significant, but it would take the "golden BB' for an effective strike on the hull Never was much of a tread head, so this is extremely informative. Thanks.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

So liking this one  Craig, very tidy build  smart looking  tank.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

Just now, Canute said:

Interesting design. Openings look significant, but it would take the "golden BB' for an effective strike on the hull Never was much of a tread head, so this is extremely informative. Thanks.

AFV's and anti-tank weapons are ever evolving. This machine represents a specific evolutionary moment in time for the IDF, in or around 1982.

Just now, Old Collingwood said:

So liking this one  Craig, very tidy build  smart looking  tank.

OC.

Thanks for the comment's gentlemen.   

Been putting a lot of time in on the turret but there remains more to do. Obviously the main gun, but also a stowage basket that looks a little tedious. Can’t complain as all the parts have fit very well so far. First Amusing Hobby kit has been a great experience so far.

Zoom in close to see a pair of Uzi’s mounted on the turret near each hatch. There are two 30 cal Machine guns and a big IR lamp yet to be mounted.

All ERA armor now in place.

590C96BB-4644-4F60-9FC9-D05593470741.jpeg

DA6CC4BE-3224-4B7B-96B5-C6EEA9B7391A.jpeg

8A2B011D-9E02-482C-9BAE-3105587922BF.jpeg

F6A2BC27-C5C8-47E2-B5D1-26C8B6F2CB70.jpeg

Yep that was a very busy beast....

Quote:

Starting to run out of places to put stuff! I wonder how well those Uzi's would function after a couple of hours cross country in the desert! I certainly would not want to be the guy to have to clean them!:(

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey