U.S. Tractor D7 “Tow Cat” by CDW - FINISHED - MiniArt - 1:35 Scale

Next up is a Caterpillar D7N Tow Cat in glorious 1:35 scale. Reminds me of my younger days as a steel worker in West Virginia working gas and oil pipeline construction. We had more than a few of these machines around, used to sit as an anchor on top of a mountain while the “train” of equipment tethered to it hung tenuously on the side slopes of mountains while clearing rights-of-ways, digging ditches, and laying steel pipelines.

510115A4-2B5F-4A44-A3AB-B52DFB4320BB.jpeg

The venerable ol' D7, the tractor that built America... One of the most successful crawler designs in history....

I'm in brother...

Current Build: F-86F-30 Sabre by Egilman - Kinetic - 1/32nd scale

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

Terminated Build: F-104C Starfighter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

"Relish Today, Ketchup Tomorrow"

5 hours ago, Canute said:

Cool. I could use one of these in HO scale.

Hey Brother...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/275053236806

Ho Scale... reasonable price...

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

MiniArt does a spectacular job on tooling the parts. Detail is astounding. It’s a shame that equal attention was not given to the sprue gates. The large size of the gates leaves a lot of difficult cleanup to do after the parts are removed from the spruces. The cleanup time required is considerable for most every part. Some parts so small, only the most precise tools should be used for removal and otherwise, broken and damaged parts can be guaranteed. It’s all good and a trade off for a finely tooled, seldom modeled subject.

2CD1C7F3-3794-49E7-A40D-3E0DC13E389C.jpeg

B6E236CD-DC9E-42E3-8C8A-BF2BAEEF430D.jpeg

763487A6-A62C-4E88-B002-18A0EBDE62A2.jpeg

7 minutes ago, CDW said:

Dad gum spell checker doesn’t like “sprues” and changes it to spruce by default. Apple employs technocrats. 😊

Probably offshored workers from what I've heard.  Most don't have a great command of English and various words.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

6 hours ago, Egilman said:

The venerable ol' D7, the tractor that built America... One of the most successful crawler designs in history....

Before there were Caterpillar dozers, there were Belgian work horses. As a tribute to the men who mentored me and influenced my life, I intend to write a couple of short stories to go along with this build as for one, I need to write these things down while I can still recall them, and secondly as the building of this model has brought a flood of memories to my mind.

Yep, those are some tiny tiny parts.... (and probably in a location you will never see them)

Molding tech is advancing...

Rapidly...

Quote:

Got my hammock and brittle. Where do you want me?

Models that bring stories to mind are the best kind. Looking forward to both the build and stories. If it were not for spell checker I would be much better at spelling and would not have to edit quite as often. It seems like I never catch it until I hit the save button.🤔

Edited by lmagna

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

Those are superb castings; too bad many will be buried under the skin of the tractor. Starting to think this will be a "barn find" parked in an old barn and ignored for years. What do you think?

I went looking for an HO version, without the dozer blade. Don't see any blades on the Cats the circuses used to load and unload their equipment flats.  My quest will continue.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

19 hours ago, Canute said:

Those are superb castings; too bad many will be buried under the skin of the tractor. Starting to think this will be a "barn find" parked in an old barn and ignored for years. What do you think?

I went looking for an HO version, without the dozer blade. Don't see any blades on the Cats the circuses used to load and unload their equipment flats.  My quest will continue.

Did they have a side boom? This D7N would be the basis for a side boom scratch build if I had a good set of drawings to reference.

A model like this one has so much detail, assembling and painting it in subassemblies is a necessity. Otherwise I could not get paint on the subject. In this case I am using a very well reduced Mr Surfacer dark primer that will be covered in a Caterpillar yellow in the end. The primer is highly reduced to prevent the paint pigment from obliterating detail.

E281CD14-C33C-4DB2-ADFE-5140CC26B33D.jpeg

7F9A0316-275A-4378-AF5A-D7B52AB5EBB8.jpeg

54E62F8F-15AE-403E-8FEC-D264C733052E.jpeg

F0C1C0C5-417A-427A-BC70-7794A1D81F4C.jpeg

E71E84F7-760A-470B-BF2E-D2BA9355BE12.jpeg

90ED00BC-C5E8-4301-85C5-CC920F7D849E.jpeg

412A65AC-8564-4C9E-84D3-47C5C14DAAC7.jpeg

C7630237-5856-4763-84AA-BF3372031315.jpeg

067B3DE2-3ACE-4E6D-B3CD-D989665D4419.jpeg

8E1E774A-7629-4B24-9CB0-663B8B5F98F6.jpeg

8BFBAEC3-28AE-4BC2-85B7-8DC5E56E593B.jpeg

2D8C164C-6D02-48CD-ACB7-092B9677F575.jpeg

Details in the kit are super. Good magnification and lighting are a must here. I take it by reduction you are adding a thinning agent to the primer? Consistency of skim milk?

Crawlers for the circus seemed to be generic Cats, without attachments.. Although I need to dig into more circus equipment diagrams. For such a wide spread activity, there isn't much pictorial history.

Ken

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

59 minutes ago, Canute said:

Crawlers for the circus seemed to be generic Cats, without attachments..

Absolutely, a basic CAT D-7 without the utensils, I doubt your going to find a specific tow version for the circus, what they did was buy standard and adapt it to the used they used it for... So a standard Cat with the blade removed would be historically accurate... Some of them actually went to the length of removing the mounting hardware but most did not... Ringling Bro's bought their first ones to replace the elephants for pulling the big top up... Which they did so well that they used them for all other pulling as well...

I would go ahead and get the standard CAT and adapt it to your scene, just like the real circus's did... {chuckle}

Quote:

Yep, the choices are out there. Now for beginning a search. May even try Shapeways.

Ken

3 hours ago, CDW said:

It took some extra cussin’ to get it to fit.

AHHH The magic universal modeling technique.

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

That video took me back a few decades.. more than a few actually.   Drill Instructors do have the artform perfected.  Note.. not sure about the other branches the Marines, definitely perfected.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

I had a recruit in my basic training company at Fort Dix that one upped the Drill Sergeant who caught him dozing in the bleachers in the cold in February during a lecture on tear gas training/use. 

SGT : Private are you sleeping during my lecture ?

RECRUIT: No Sergeant ! I was just checking my eyelids for holes !

The SGT admitted that was the best comeback he'd ever heard from a trainee.   

I really like my micro-saw. I got it thru UMM. Fits in some tight spots, sometime better than my sprue nipper or the Tamiya nippers. Unfortunately, with these limited run kits, the sprues are thick and inconveniently located in the joint area. Wonder what the designers were thinking, doing that. Handy for removing resin plugs, too.

Blue air is sometimes the only "lubricant" to get parts to slip into place.Works better that throwing it at the wall. 😉

Your Cat is coming along nicely.

Edited by Canute
Finish reply

Ken