Le Fleuron by Gaetan Bordeleau - FINISHED - 1:24

Superbe ! gaetan,

Malheureusement ,le choix du bois n'est pas trés heureux .Les veines sont assez accentués,ce qui ,remis à l'échelle 1/1 donne un aspect trés curieux.

Cela n’enlève rien à la trés belle performance que vous accomplissez.

Encore bravo .

Bien cordialement

gloaguen

ps:Im so sorry but my english is too bad .I want to apologize to the members .

Superbe ! gaetan,

Malheureusement ,le choix du bois n'est pas trés heureux .Les veines sont assez accentués,ce qui ,remis à l'échelle 1/1 donne un aspect trés curieux.

Cela n’enlève rien à la trés belle performance que vous accomplissez.

Encore bravo .

Bien cordialement

gloaguen

ps:Im so sorry but my english is too bad .I want to apologize to the members .

Translation:

"Superb! Gaetan,

Unfortunately, the choice of wood is unfortunate.The veins are quite pronounced, which rescaled 1/1 gives a very curious aspect.
This does not detract from the very good performance you are doing.
Congratulations.
Kind regards,
Gloaguen"

Greg

website
Admiralty Models

moderator Echo Cross-section build
Admiralty Models Cross-section Build

Finished build
Pegasus, 1776, cross-section

Current build
Speedwell, 1752

• 3 weeks later...

I had anchor cables done from previous works and they match. Cable circumference is breadth/24 : 41.84/ 24, C : 2pi r, Diameter:6.64 inches and at scale 1/24 :.28 inch. I am sure that if they had micrometer during that period they would have measured not the circumference with a rope but the diameter.

During myfirst professional job, I bought a camera. Up to now Olympus was  always my first choice and I was happy with it. Now I will experiment with a full frame Canon camera. They are very strong with the light sensibility and they have a wider variety of programs for the photos manipulation.

post-184-0-19381100-1433336248_thumb.jpg

post-184-0-95777800-1433336255_thumb.jpg

post-184-0-06996600-1433336262_thumb.jpg

post-184-0-04246500-1433336269_thumb.jpg

post-184-0-91981400-1433336274_thumb.jpg

post-184-0-89174400-1433336281_thumb.jpg

post-184-0-16366800-1433336288_thumb.jpg

You set the bar really high, Gaetan. Magnificent work.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

• 3 weeks later...

Interesting stairs. The design is a recipe for an accident waiting to happen! Your rendition of them is lovely, though, Gaetan.

Somehow, I guess, they weren't worried about lawsuits!!! Edited by Landlocked123

Member:

Connecticut Marine Model Society

Nautical Research Guild

Model Ship World

"So we beat on, boats against the current, bourne back ceaselessly into the past" F. Scott Fitzgerald - The Great Gatsby

"If at first you don’t succeed.......skydiving is probably not for you”

It's been 20 years since I used photoshop.  We used to do that for certain tech manuals and here I'd forgotten all about it.   Argghhhhh...

Lovely drawing... err... photo.  Looks like very detailed pencil sketch.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Extraordinary work as always, Gaetan.  Every aspect is beautifully executed.  A further comment to Druxey's stairs observation: in my experience with French design, esthetique sometimes seems to outrank fonctionnel, but the results are often delightful  Vive la France.

ED

Further comment to Druxey's stairs observation and Ed's.

I was measuring the lenght of the rope which will be use to pull the anchor cable out of the water. On the 74 guns, this rope was passing  above the stair and it was surely a potentially situation. On Le Fleuron that rope passes below the stair and has a lot of place.

Walking stair usually have constant height between each one. In this situation it is like a stair made in 2 parts, one first descent, one stair plate  and one final descent; the same principle when a stair gets down turn and get down  for the final steps.

post-184-0-78804000-1434992819_thumb.jpg

post-184-0-57608400-1434992827_thumb.jpg

post-184-0-93612000-1434992834_thumb.jpg

post-184-0-31332500-1434992842_thumb.jpg

post-184-0-79409900-1434992848_thumb.jpg

post-184-0-81231000-1434992855_thumb.jpg

post-184-0-19319900-1434992864_thumb.jpg

post-184-0-97855600-1434992871_thumb.jpg

post-184-0-18512500-1434992878_thumb.jpg

post-184-0-73455800-1434992893_thumb.jpg

post-184-0-73455800-1434992893_thumb.jpg

Gaetan,

Are you sure this isn't a real ship?  :)

Richard

Richard

Current Build: Early 19th Century US Revenue Cutter (Artesania Latina "Dallas" - messed about)

Completed Build: Yakatabune - Japanese - Woody Joe mini

Member: Nautical Research Guild & Midwest Model Shipwrights

Richard,

I think we all think this.   The work and the photography are amazing.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Here are the pictures I would have enter in a 2015 Contest ; but I forgot to enter.

I took what they considered weak points in the 2013 Contest and turned it in strong points:

CONSTRUCTION D’UN MODÈLE D’UN VAISSEAU DE 74 CANONS FRANÇAIS À BREST EN 1780 POUR L’INSTRUCTION DES  GARDES DE LA MARINE SELON LES ORDONNANCES NAVALES

You will enter in an Innotive approach for the construction of this 1/24 scale model, 8 feet long. This bigger scale made possible the discovery of new opportunities and provided another layer in Hull construction techniques. Here are some words of wisdom from the Great Master Builder SJSoane : « All details should be considered in light of the overall artistic effect of the model as a whole. Building the details helped me understand how these ships were made, and how the parts functioned » Underline part is similar in essence to what Jean Boudriot said about when determining the shape of the rail that in a sense the shape had no specific shape but it must perfectly blend  with the whole model when making the main, middle and lower rail.

New scale means new problems : How to bend ½’’ of ebony? You must cut it from blocks. The model weighs  125 pounds. How do you adjust the working height of the model?  Quite easily in fact, with an electric modified dental chair.

Bigger scale means larger wood grain. Cherry wood is a good example at 1/24 scale. When carefully selected,  nice wood  grain patterns appears. Woods for this build are also chosen for their color.  The rarest wood used is Bocote. Other than his distinctive nutty odor when cutting it, this wood quickly darkens in presence of air. On the model, outside planking above the wales shows this wood as if it has been aged  for 100 years. No paint is use, only Tung oil, a finer oil than linen seed, clearer with no deposit. Whenever greater aged look is required, natural Bitumen in powder is added.

This work was inspired by ‘’Naval Ordonnances’’ for Marine Guards in Brest, France. It is intended to be built as an  instructionnal model, which could be use by  Naval officers to teach the aspiring officers. Instructions were grouped in 2 categories :  Masting and Rigging, the standard methods according the ship size and category. For this build, the other category was deeply explored : Hull construction is unique for each ship  according to his own decorations and sculptures. Big cares are taken to build the inside and it would be a shame not to show it. Decks are left open as much as possible to facilitate inside looks.

Port side is left open to show the double framing structure. Cannons are installed on 1 side only, so that construction methods can be emphasies the other side. Oversized recoil pulleys, standard french navy procedure, increasing  the diameter  to reduce the number of men required.

post-184-0-38037100-1440118962_thumb.jpg

post-184-0-94019800-1440118965_thumb.jpg

post-184-0-05440500-1440118976_thumb.jpg

post-184-0-86679600-1440118978_thumb.jpg

post-184-0-16780400-1440118981_thumb.jpg

post-184-0-52554800-1440118984_thumb.jpg

Edited by Gaetan Bordeleau

Fantastic work, Gaetan.  It's terrible that you didn't enter. 

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Hi Gaetan,

I far as I am concerned, you have won! (without having had the hassle of the the whole entry process). I can't believe there could be an entry of this scale that could possibly be better.

Best,

John

Member:

Connecticut Marine Model Society

Nautical Research Guild

Model Ship World

"So we beat on, boats against the current, bourne back ceaselessly into the past" F. Scott Fitzgerald - The Great Gatsby

"If at first you don’t succeed.......skydiving is probably not for you”