Le Fleuron by Gaetan Bordeleau - FINISHED - 1:24

Here is a picture of a ball bearing swivel.

Also to control up to a certain extent the diameter the degree of stiffness or the flexibility of the rope the quantity of lest which is added at the other end; more weight the stiffer the rope; the stiffer the rope the smaller the diameter.

The diameter can be know before turning the ropes and the lest can be adjusted as needed. On the drawing, there are 2 curves, calculated and practical

post-184-0-48120100-1422197689_thumb.jpg

post-184-0-07701100-1422198144.jpg

post-184-0-84679400-1422198589.jpg

Gaetan,

That is a beautifully crafted ropewalk. Can you explain a little more about the swivels? I don't see them in the first photo at the motor end. Is there only one, on the tail end with the trolley?

Also, can you show the three legged top in more detail? Does it have grooves along the legs for the thread?

And is the thread the Bokens linen size 110?

Lots of questions, but I am fascinated with the quality of the lines you are creating.

Mark

Hi Mark,

Yes the thread is size 110 made of 2 threads left turned. This means  that if I want to turn 3 strands, I will turn right.

For the bullet shape, that sometimes we see made of 1 piece, but in this case it is made in 3 parts with a groove in each one. The utility of this part is obvious if not installed; lines forms too fast and the lines want  to tangle. 

When you see the swivel in action you would be surprise how much turns it can do.

I added other pictures to try to be clear.

Mainly ropes are made from 3 strands and when I go for anchor cables, I take  3 of these  to make a bigger cable.

The largest number I used was round 576 lines for one anchor cable. Without excel tables it would have taken too much try to get the right diameter.

post-184-0-34294900-1422216701_thumb.jpg

post-184-0-25525000-1422216710_thumb.jpg

post-184-0-64147100-1422216713_thumb.jpg

post-184-0-78300700-1422216718_thumb.jpg

post-184-0-18604500-1422216726_thumb.jpg

post-184-0-21021000-1422216731_thumb.jpg

Thank you Karl,

David + another picture also at 1/24; in both examples: cherry works fine  at 1/24 and 1/48.

Works as fine if not better than pseudo-boxwood: castello.

The idea is to have close grain often in the fruit wood group. I have never seen orange wood in my life, but I have always wonder how it would work

Apple is in the same class, may be it could be a bit better.

post-184-0-05138700-1422567791_thumb.jpg

It is very easy to make a sculpture;

Print a copy, glue it  on wood, pass it under the scrollsaw

and voilà!

You make it sound that easy...  post-76-0-58621400-1423185198.gif

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

G'day Gaitan,

Please tell us the source of supply for your linen thread. Also kindly tell us the different sizes of thread you purchased. Possibly you have already answered my questions elsewhere in your log, however, I cannot find it. I continue to admire your work and expertise as a master model shipwright. I learn something new and valuable each time I visit your Le Fleuron Log. Thanks for your time and effort to help us improve.

Peter

Edited by PETERPETER

Hi Peter,

http://www.theobrejaart.nl/frame.html

This is high quality linen and with this type of material stability to temperature and humidity will not be an issue. Once the thread is turned, the lenght will be final. Theo is a nice gentleman and he can provide whatever you like. I bought 1 Kg roll, and with it I can produce every diameter I need. I think that 120 size is the smaller diameter available. Using it  at a lager scale I chose 90 size, composed of 2 threads left turned. Knowing that most of the threads you need to turn will be with 3 ropes right turn, it is a good thing that you choose  a roll which is left turned, because if you buy right turn ropes, you will have to unroll before you can turn it right. On the picture, you refer,  sizes are mainly between 50 and 120.

post-184-0-46428500-1423255448_thumb.jpg

Gaetan,

Bravo!!!

I'm astonished even more with your work. When I think I've learned something, you show how far I'm from your skills. I thought I wasn´t a novice anymore but it seems I'm still in Kindergarten. 

Mauricio 

I like that jig, Gaetan.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

First picture, tools used for sculptures

Would you beleive that there is a learning curve about buying a hobby knife?

First, everybody buy an Exacto  because at the begining we do not know that scalpel blades are available for the hobby market or if we know  the existence we beleive that this is for the surgeon and someday realize that  exacto blades do not cut that much.

Then he discovers scalpel blades with a metal handle. He soon  realizes that  often tools are made for specific jobs. The good side, the blade cuts way more than an exacto blade and also with  much less pressure and  as a bonus more precision can also be achieve with it. The bad side, if we can say, is that care must be taken in the way that this tool cannot be use with excessive pressure, if so broken blade can easily happen.

Finally, one last step. While he learns to use scalpel blade and appreciate it, he discovers a problem with the metal handle. When working long hours  holding the handle, the  handle ‘’corners’’ become  to be  cutting the skin. For this, one solution, acrylic sleeve handle. After that some cutting knives will never be  use.

Last picture, the weekly  quizz question : How many small parts did I lost since I installed   this kind of black rubber floor more than 1 year ago?  Seeing that objects drop are rarely black, objects are often contrasting with the floor. Aswer; none.

post-184-0-12086600-1424463083_thumb.jpg

post-184-0-77022000-1424463091_thumb.jpg

post-184-0-65180700-1424463103_thumb.jpg

post-184-0-85928300-1424463115_thumb.jpg

post-184-0-66031600-1424463129_thumb.jpg

Edited by Gaetan Bordeleau

Just outstanding in every way Gaetan! Interesting to read your observations on tools etc too.

Your carvings are breathtaking, Gaetan. 

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

I would like to be able to watch over your shoulder for a few weeks just to enjoy watching a master at work.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

Thanks for your kind comments.

Up to know this is almost  only 2d sculptures.

To take the  beat, I began with the easiest ones and progress towards most difficult ones.

Also if I observe only 1 sculpture by itself, it looks ordinary,

but the more I add ordinary ones, the better they look together.

Also remember the scale, twice bigger, twice looking better!

COMPLETING 2D PARTS

Progression continues, 2D portion is now completed.  I tried to do it in 1 block. This way it is easier to have the same style in the carvings. To give a bigger volume to the 2D parts, many were cut in a thicker plank than require (especially the flowers) in a way, trying to make it look  bit more 3D than it is really.

Some parts were directly made from the plans, other were made according the place  on the exact place where i twill be install on the model. This way the parts fits before to be carved.

Remaining sculptures  are 3D noted in red on the original drawings. On the first picture.

On the second picture, 4 pictures regrouped to give an idea of the progression of the construction; which is similar in many ways to a house : framing, walls, moldings and decoration on the other pics.

The third pic is to show how to work standing  having every thing at the good height.

post-184-0-35334300-1425064532_thumb.jpg

post-184-0-43286000-1425064533.jpg

post-184-0-24498600-1425064539_thumb.jpg

post-184-0-63988000-1425064557_thumb.jpg

post-184-0-67432700-1425064562_thumb.jpg

post-184-0-87604300-1425064568_thumb.jpg

post-184-0-73728400-1425064574_thumb.jpg

post-184-0-14371800-1425064580_thumb.jpg

Thank you Chris, and I look forward to see your next build, a french 74.

Cherry I bought in a lot, there was up to 12 inches wide,  and the color was deep.

For the pictures; cherry + 1 coat of tung oil. As you can observe on the picture, the color look natural because tung oil is I believe the a quite pure oil contrary to what could be linen seed oil. Also another very important advantage of tung oil, when you take pictures , often you can see reflexions on the wood surfaces especially with shellac, but this does not happen with tung oil. Also I went deep with the pictures, making it looking the wood darker.