Churchill Mk.III tank by King Derelict - Italeri - 1/72

This is something quick to fill in time waiting for the X craft PE to show up, This was a bargain buy. It claims to have new parts (2021) but it feels like an old kit. There is good detail on the main parts but there is some distortion at the edges and quite a bit of flash.

1390696077_RIMG1450(1280x960).jpg.7c7f076cd01bf6a35dedce95922394bf.jpg

A decent number of parts and decal options. Elastic band tracks unfortunately

479230957_RIMG1449(1280x960).jpg.d2b683b9737db21b2a723d4380d6b5d6.jpg

The undercarriage is interesting. Three pieces make up the road wheels, suspension and skirt. The assembly is shown at top

1256689735_RIMG1451(1280x960).jpg.3eddd78bafc46499bde7fc1bfac3de05.jpg

1281047541_RIMG1452(1280x960).jpg.0e85ddad74d430da565e818c18f05e7b.jpg

The turret was a real dogs dinner and needed a lot of cutting and filing and filling. I haven't followed assembly instructions which has you put the tracks on before adding the side pieces to the hull. Painting looks too difficult if you do that. So the plan is to temporarily add the top pieces to the hull and paint the camouflage then remove the top pieces and put the tracks on. 

The chosen paint scheme will be a Churchill at El Alamein 2 so a dusty finish.

The major parts have had a coat of Mig One Shot Brown primer and look good to continue

641913833_RIMG1453(1280x960).jpg.67933b8c4a29e3970acd4b475b89bb76.jpg

Thanks for looking in and I hope everyone has a great weekend

Alan

Another cool project  - I'm  in  Alan..

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

All these  1/72 scale  tank builds  made me  think  - wouldn't it  be brill  ot see someone  take on one of those  1/72  Airfix  Battle sets  that  was  basically a  dio  in a box.

OC.

Edited by Old Collingwood

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

38 minutes ago, Old Collingwood said:

All these  1/72 scale  tank builds  made me  think  - wouldn't it  be brill  ot see someone  take on one of those  1/72  Airfix  Battle sets  that  was  basically a  dio  in a box.

OC.

You are right. I really like a diorama setting but they take up so much time. I have a thought for a small WW1 diorama that might be small enough to try

Alan

There have  been some miniature dios here.  If I remember right Jack12477 did several.  Basically a couple vehicles and bit of shattered building.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

I'm here brother, those 1/72nd kits are looking much better than I remember them eons ago...

Never could get into them, but they do offer a lot more room for your battalions....

Looking forward to another masterpiece my friend...

Current Build: F-86F-30 Sabre by Egilman - Kinetic - 1/32nd scale

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

Terminated Build: F-104C Starfighter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

"Relish Today, Ketchup Tomorrow"

I'm in too! 

Current builds;

Henry Ramey Upcher 1:25

Providence whaleboat- 1:25     HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

Non ship:  SBD-3 Dauntless 1:48 Hasegawa -FINISHED

Nice start. 

This is an old Esci Churchill kit.

On first sight, the only new part is the box 😉

Regards, Patrick

Finished :  Soleil Royal Heller 1/100   Wasa Billing Boats   Bounty Revell 1/110 plastic (semi scratch)   Pelican / Golden Hind  1/45 scratch

Current build :  Mary Rose 1/50 scratch

Gallery Revell Bounty  Pelican/Golden hind 1/45 scratch

To do Prins Willem Corel, Le Tonnant Corel, Yacht d'Oro Corel, Thermopylae Sergal 

Shore leave,  non ship models build logs :  

ADGZ M35 funkwagen 1/72    Einhets Pkw. Kfz.2 and 4 1/72   Autoblinda AB40 1/72   122mm A-19 & 152mm ML-20 & 12.8cm Pak.44 {K8 1/2} 1/72   10.5cm Howitzer 16 on Mark. VI(e)  Centurion Mk.1 conversion   M29 Weasel 1/72     SAM6 1/72    T26 Finland  T26 TN 1/72  Autoprotetto S37 1/72     Opel Blitz buses 1/72  Boxer and MAN trucks 1/72   Hetzer38(t) Starr 1/72    

Si vis pacem, para bellum

12 hours ago, mtaylor said:

There have  been some miniature dios here.  If I remember right Jack12477 did several.  Basically a couple vehicles and bit of shattered building.

Yes, you're right Mark,  but at 1:35 scale.  Alan is right they are bulky, mine are about 12x12x12. Link is in my signature under Sherman tank dioramas

I'm in too, Alan. 

Edited by Jack12477

Sign me up, Alan. Interesting to see how your dio turns out.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

On 10/14/2022 at 9:45 PM, mtaylor said:

Yes I remember Jacks Sherman dio. It is impressive and something to aim for. This one may just be a sandy base

Alan

On 10/14/2022 at 11:05 PM, Egilman said:

I'm here brother, those 1/72nd kits are looking much better than I remember them eons ago...

Never could get into them, but they do offer a lot more room for your battalions....

Looking forward to another masterpiece my friend...

Gret to have you on board EG. This one is very reminiscent of an Airfix Churchill when I was a kid. Hopefully this one will turn out better.

I would like to try a few 1/35 vehicles but space is becoming an issue.

Alan

On 10/15/2022 at 7:34 AM, Jack12477 said:

Yes, you're right Mark,  but at 1:35 scale.  Alan is right they are bulky, mine are about 12x12x12. Link is in my signature under Sherman tank dioramas

I'm in too, Alan. 

I'm glad you're here. The Sherman diorama is spectacular. A great feel to it.

Alan

On 10/15/2022 at 9:36 AM, CDW said:

Interesting tank. Now I want to read up on its service record. Glad to see you doing this Alan.

Thanks Craig

The wiki article is pretty good.

Churchill tank - Wikipedia

Its an interesting evolution.

Designed to fight on WW1 type battlefields of trenches and shell holes it had great ability on bad ground. The road wheel configuration allowed for quite a bit of damage without loss of ability. It had thick armour that could defeat most German tanks up to the later Tigers even though it was not sloped in any way. It lost out on speed and firepower in the end. An interesting extract about Churchills at El Alamein

They saw action in the Second Battle of El Alamein in October 1942. This detachment, called "Kingforce", supported the attack of 7th Motor Brigade first with three tanks at Kidney Ridge (where one was hit "repeatedly" by anti-tank gun fire (including "friendly fire" from a British gun) and another took "a lot of punishment"), then the remaining five at Tell-el-Aqqaqir. The Churchills were fired on many times by Italian and German anti-tank guns, but only one was knocked out and partially caught on fire. One tank was said to have been hit up to 80 times.

So this one has to be an El Alamein tank

Alan

1 hour ago, king derelict said:

The Sherman diorama is spectacular. A great feel to it.

Alan

Thanks! The 2 ruins are old Verlinden cast plaster kits I had. The 3rd dio is freelanced scenery using rubber rock molds from Woodland Scenics.

Oops my bad ! The other Verlinden diorama is in my M16 Multi-gun Motor Carriage Diorama

Edited by Jack12477

Infantry support tank, they were tough, very tough, designed to take a direct hit from a 155mm artillery round and keep on going... About the only gun that could take one out with one shot was the vaunted "88".... 

There was only one tank tougher, the Matilda, even the "88" had trouble taking those out...

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

4 hours ago, Jack12477 said:

Thanks! The 2 ruins are old Verlinden cast plaster kits I had. The 3rd dio is freelanced scenery using rubber rock molds from Woodland Scenics.

Oops my bad ! The other Verlinden diorama is in my M16 Multi-gun Motor Carriage Diorama

Thanks Jack

I was pondering on a source of rocks and you solved it. Plaster casts

Alan

3 hours ago, Egilman said:

Infantry support tank, they were tough, very tough, designed to take a direct hit from a 155mm artillery round and keep on going... About the only gun that could take one out with one shot was the vaunted "88".... 

There was only one tank tougher, the Matilda, even the "88" had trouble taking those out...

The crews ears must have been ringing after 80 hits. They were quite a beast.

Alan

Today the coat of sand paint went on. The track covers (whatever the correct AFV term is) were dry placed and stayed on quite nicely. Next I will mask for the grey. The kit calls for a dark grey but the one colour photo I have found shows something a bit lighter. Current plan is Tamiya XF-24 or a touch lighter.

35592459_RIMG1456(1280x960).jpg.de429effdd4326692cb9266cb6b39ed1.jpg

734283217_RIMG1457(1280x960).jpg.1b431847a0f3110fd2b8210adcf0c13d.jpg

278309939_RIMG1458(1280x960).jpg.1b25a4cdad2e1263b4cb02c034ac176b.jpg

1732661312_RIMG1459(1280x960).jpg.886b7b257ac30fd05e0ec5d50d5ee9b8.jpg

Thanks for looking in

Alan

15 minutes ago, king derelict said:

Thanks Jack

I was pondering on a source of rocks and you solved it. Plaster casts

Alan

I recommend using Hydrocal casting plaster, it’s lightweight,  strong and easy to use. Woodland Scenics makes it. ScaleHobbyist is a good source for Woodland Scenics products including the rubber rock molds.

1 hour ago, Jack12477 said:

recommend using Hydrocal casting plaster,

+1 seconded, best stuff for doing rocks and rock faces...

Quote:

Ditto. Great for your casting. Dries hard, although somewhat brittle for drilling/carving. Best do these operations right after removal from your molds.

An alternative is Sculpt a mold.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

22 hours ago, king derelict said:

The crews ears must have been ringing after 80 hits. They were quite a beast.

Alan

I would think one hit would do it.  If your referencing the "88", that's the German gun.  Started off as an AA gun and became the main one for artillery and armor.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

22 hours ago, Jack12477 said:

I recommend using Hydrocal casting plaster, it’s lightweight,  strong and easy to use. Woodland Scenics makes it. ScaleHobbyist is a good source for Woodland Scenics products including the rubber rock molds.

Thanks for the suggestion Jack and for the link. The rubber rock moulds look a better idea than pouring some plaster in a tray and breaking it up.

Alan

11 hours ago, Canute said:

Ditto. Great for your casting. Dries hard, although somewhat brittle for drilling/carving. Best do these operations right after removal from your molds.

An alternative is Sculpt a mold.

Thanks ken

I think I have some Sculpt a mold in the cupboard. I'll give it a try

Alan