HM Cutter Trial 1790 by AJohnson - Vanguard Models - 1:64th

Update for this week's progress, adding the topsail.  This involved the usual process of paper template for testing the shape and size then constructing the sail as before.  Then adding the rigging prior to mounting on the yard, this involved tying-off the the two yards so they would not move when adding the sail.

Think next up is sorting the anchors and crew before adding the driver/gaff and main sail.

Thanks for looking in and the likes.  😁

Trial 365.JPG

Trial 366.JPG

Trial 367.JPG

Trial 368.JPG

Trial 369.JPG

Trial 370.JPG

Trial 371.JPG

Trial 372.JPG

Trial 373.JPG

Trial 374.JPG

Those sails look super, Andrew. 

Current Builds: 1880s Floating Steam Donkey Pile Driver 

Wood Hull Screw Frigate USS Tennessee

Decorative Carrack Warship Restoration, the Amelia

Completed: Early Swift 1805 Model Restoration

Thanks @Ronald-V, @Keith Black, @Craigie65 & @FriedClams for your kind comments, glad you like the sails so far, I'm chickening out 🐔 on the last one (and largest) for now, but my excuse is if I rig the booms for the main sail now they are going to impede access to the deck for adding the crew!  

So I've been tidying up a few other jobs first, done work on the anchors and mounted these.  With reference to Peter Goodwins "Alert" book I added seizing and whipping to the cable and also added a buoy with attached ropes and lanyard.  I did contemplate lashing these to the shrouds, as is often seen in build logs, but looking through some contemporary Cutter models the buoys seem to have been stowed just as often with the anchor, either just inboard of the anchor (as I settled on) or used as a fender of sorts between the anchor and the hull. Anyway the advantage of having them on deck is they help make the deck look cluttered which I like and it partially hides my naff buoys from view; there not a patch on @Thukydides miniature masterpieces.  🤭

Not wanting to end on a downer, but had a slight mishap, I somehow - (I say "somehow" because I don't remember doing it!) I have caught a cannon and snapped off the end (pinged off into the ether as per. usual! 🙄) and also damaged the tip of a boom cradle.  I really don't recall doing it! - Must be old age creeping on me!  😆 - Clumsy so and so.... :default_wallbash:

Also might be away for a bit; back in hospital again this Friday, but hopefully soon out and back at the workbench.

Thanks for looking in! 👋

Trial 375.JPG

Trial 376.JPG

Trial 377.JPG

Trial 378.JPG

Trial 379.JPG

Trial 380.JPG

Trial 381.JPG

Trial 382.JPG

Trial 383.JPG

2 hours ago, AJohnson said:

partially hides my naff buoys from view

For naff buoys they look pretty good to me. I don't know why you are trying to hide them. I had to zoom in pretty close before I could see any imperfections.

If I could make a minor suggestion on your rope coils, use less glue / varnish (whichever it is) on your rope. Potentially also try diluting it more and maybe add some flow aid. It will look less wet and fuzzy then.

Wow! So much work since I was last here and what a great first attempt at sails which look like they were done by a seasoned pro. Well done Andrew your workmanship is an inspiration to us all. 

Completed     St Canute Billings            Dec 2020

Completed    HMS Bounty Amati          May 2021 Finished

Currently building HM Bark Endeavour  

Amazing sails and build Andrew, she’s coming along beautifully. 

On 9/11/2024 at 8:49 PM, Thukydides said:

Potentially also try diluting it more and maybe add some flow aid. It will look less wet and fuzzy then

Thuky - is there a flow aid product you recommend? Thanks

Dan

Current Build: Yacht Duchess of Kingston (Vanguard Models, 1:64)

Previous Builds: Fifie (Vanguard Models, 1:64), Nisha (Vanguard Models, 1:64), Zulu (Vanguard Models, 1:64), Saucy Jack (Vanguard Models, 1:64), Erycina (Vanguard Models, 1:64), HMS Alert (Vanguard Models, 1:64), Grecian (Vanguard Models, 1:64), Ranger (Vanguard Models, 1:64), HM Gun Brig Adder (Vanguard Models, 1:64)

Waiting to be Built: Speedy (Vanguard Models, 1:64)

3 hours ago, DB789 said:

Thuky - is there a flow aid product you recommend? Thanks

I just use the liquitex one. i have never used another so cant say if it is any better than others. The reason I use it is that it helps the glue/varnish to flow into the rope so it is not on the surface. This means it still stiffens it (glue is in the core), but doesn’t show as much. Please note, you should test on scrap before trying anything new on a model as sometimes these additives have unexpected reactions with certain glues.

Update and a change in plan, I decided after all to complete the main sail.  Thinking about it, I thought whilst I was in the mood for sail making and undaunted by making 200 reef points I better get on with it, before I found excuses to avoid making further progress.  This is probably the largest tissue sail I will ever make, so overall pleased with how it came out, but learned a lot more in the process of making this monster.

Followed the same process as before:- paper template for shape and size, then construct the sail with a one piece core and strips glued front and back, with wire trapped in the edge for shaping later.  I found using a rule helpful to fold the tissue in one piece around the wire as I went.  The gluing the bolt rope along the edge to hide the wire; forming beckets etc. as I went.  Reef points were actually split in two and glued separately to each face, rather than trying to tie knots flush to either face of the reef point hole to minimise handling the tissue paper -that entailed making nearly 400 of them! 😬 - but worth it not to risk trying to pull knots tight through fragile tissue!  I did contemplate only adding one per. sail panel, but I knew someone would spot that and so took a deep breath and did two; have also punched in two per. panel for the robands when I get to those. 

Have now begun the process of adding the sail to the model.  Starting with the mast hoops, so it will take it's own weight.  the hoops are extras bought from Vanguard.  A few shots below show the sail as it looks now, temporarily held in place with various bits of tape and temporary rigging held by clips to provide tension, but it gives an impression of the look I am aiming for eventually.

Thanks for keeping me company with this experiment and the likes and kinds words!  😁

Trial 384.JPG

Trial 385.JPG

Trial 386.JPG

Trial 387.JPG

Trial 388.JPG

Trial 389.JPG

Trial 390.JPG

Trial 391.JPG

Trial 392.JPG

Trial 393.JPG

Trial 394.JPG

Trial 395.JPG

Trial 396.JPG

Trial 397.JPG

Excellent work, she looks splendid! I am sure you will be glad you went the extra mile with the reef points when you look back on this build in the future.

-‐-‐--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Current Build Hayling Hoy 1760 - First POF scratch build

Completed HMB Endeavour's Longboat by Artesania Latina

Completed HM Armed Cutter Alert by Vanguard Models

Completed 18ft cutter and 34ft launch by Vanguard Models

Completed Pen Duick by Artesania Latina

Wonderful work Andrew!

There is no doubt in my mind that you would have regretted not putting in the proper number of reef points. 

Looking at your model makes me realise how wonderful a boat looks with the sails gently billowing!

Now I am even more determined that my next build will have sails - fortunately it's a brig not a three master.

Your build log will be such a help to me. 

Nipper 

Current build:  HMS Sphinx 1775 - 1/64 - Vanguard Models

Completed build:  HM Cutter Alert 1777 - 1/64 - Vanguard Models

Wow! That's absolutely stunning. Superb job.

Simon.

Current build HM Cutter Trial - Vanguard Models

Previous: Saucy Jack - Vanguard Models Polaris - OcCre

In the stash:

HMS Speedy v2023 - Vanguard Models

Nisha - Vanguard Models

HM Gun Brig Adder - Vanguard Models

She looks terrific to me, Andrew. Sails are definitively very realistic.

Cheers,

Dan

Current build : Mayflower - AL 1:64Lady Nelson - Amati Victory 1:64

Completed non-ship builds : Spitfire MK I - 1:48Arado 196B - 1:32, Sea Fury - 1:48F-15C Eagle - 1:48Hawker Tempest Mk.V - 1:48F104S Starfighter - 1:48

"The most effective way to do it, is to do it" - Amelia Earhart

Thank you all for the likes and @jpalmer1970 @Oboship @Ronald-V @Charter33 @Nipper @Craigie65 @Dave_E @BrochBoating @Danstream for your kind words.

More work on the main sail, laced it to the gaff, amazing the number of times the lacing needed tightening before it seemed to grip the sail to the gaff right.  Also added inhaul and outhaul tackles on the boom, I had to dip in and out of many reference books to decide on how these were going to be done.  Also added brails and tackles for these, again, the variation in the sources for these is amazing, I just went with what was achievable with my skills and what would look okay against the sail.  There has also been plenty of shaping of all the sails using the wire in the edges and plenty of time online looking for how gaff sails look for real (one of the best sources I found was Gaff Rig World, a group on Facebook.)  I have done my best to make the sail bend naturally, as though filled with wind and allowing some deflection in profile caused by the boom lifts.  It is okay, not entirely happy, but there is NO way I am redoing all that lot! 😆  Good lessons learned to be applied to the next build...

Finishing touches to be done are the addition of Reef tackle, pendants and such.  Then a whole load of rope hanks are required, a tidy / touch-up, varnish session, then all that remains is the motley crew and flags.

Thanks again for following along.

Trial 398.JPG

Trial 399.JPG

Trial 400.JPG

Trial 401.JPG

Trial 402.JPG

Trial 403.JPG

Trial 404.JPG

Trial 405.JPG

Edited by AJohnson

Impressive details and workmanship, Andrew! I missed in the past this fine build of yours and went through it only recently. I found it brilliant and I am saving it for my future reference.

Best regards,

Dan

Current build : Mayflower - AL 1:64Lady Nelson - Amati Victory 1:64

Completed non-ship builds : Spitfire MK I - 1:48Arado 196B - 1:32, Sea Fury - 1:48F-15C Eagle - 1:48Hawker Tempest Mk.V - 1:48F104S Starfighter - 1:48

"The most effective way to do it, is to do it" - Amelia Earhart