Are ZHL kits now legit?

Ulises Victoria

Hello all.  

I read that ZHL has made some kind of agreement with the United States Patent and Trademark Office to legally sale their kits in the USA. Is this true?

If so: Is this below kit legit, according to the rules of this forum? I don't want to infringe any of the policies' of this forum by buying pirated goods.

Thank you.

https://www.zhlmodel.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=75&product_id=58

Update: I just found out that it can be purchased directly form CAF, which is listed under MSW sponsors, for a little more money.

Edited by Ulises Victoria

There aren't but two options: do it FAST, or do it RIGHT.

Current Project Build Log: Soleil Royal in 1/72. Kit by Artesania Latina.

Last finished projectsRoyal Ship Vasa 1628; French Vessel Royal Louis 1780. 1/90 Scale by Mamoli. 120 Cannons

Future projects already in my stash: Panart: San Felipe 1/75; OcCre: Santísima Trinidad 1/90;

Wish List: 1/64 Amati Victory, HMS Enterprise in 1/48 by CAF models.

So much to build, so little time!

22 hours ago, scrubbyj427 said:

CAF is legit, ZHL is not. Buy directly from CAF.

Exactly what I thought! CAF is just a few dollars more expensive, but If I decide to buy this kit. it'd be from CAF

I have a crazy idea involving this particular Enterprise kit. I will post it for opinions later.

Thank you all!

Edited by Ulises Victoria

There aren't but two options: do it FAST, or do it RIGHT.

Current Project Build Log: Soleil Royal in 1/72. Kit by Artesania Latina.

Last finished projectsRoyal Ship Vasa 1628; French Vessel Royal Louis 1780. 1/90 Scale by Mamoli. 120 Cannons

Future projects already in my stash: Panart: San Felipe 1/75; OcCre: Santísima Trinidad 1/90;

Wish List: 1/64 Amati Victory, HMS Enterprise in 1/48 by CAF models.

So much to build, so little time!

25 minutes ago, DennisL said:

I am confused by this thread.  A pirated kit is a pirated kit regardless if it's sold direct by the pirating entity or thru another seller is it not??

CAF does not pirate, Tom produces original work. ZHL may be pirating his work however. I’m not sure.

Current Builds: HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 - 5th rate 32 gun frigate (on hold for now)

HMS Portland 1770 Prototype 1:48 - 4th rate 50 gun ship

19 hours ago, Ferrus Manus said:

ZHL are known pirates. There is NO forgiveness or support for known pirates, whether the kit itself is pirated or not. Buy from CAF, because ZHL probably stole it from them. The US patent office isn't doing its job. 

Add to that, China does NOT recognize US patents/copyrights or patents/copyright from any place other than China.  This is not the US patent office fault but China's.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

On 11/4/2023 at 9:39 PM, Ulises Victoria said:

read that ZHL has made some kind of agreement with the United States Patent and Trademark Office to legally sale their kits in the USA.

Wherever you read that is probably a site where mendacity is a dominant factor - or passed on by an individual who got his information such a site.

NRG member 45 years

Current:  

HMS Centurion 1732 - 60-gun 4th rate - Navall Timber framing

HMS Beagle 1831 refiit  10-gun brig with a small mizzen - Navall (ish) Timber framing

The U.S. Ex. Ex. 1838-1842
Flying Fish 1838  pilot schooner -  framed - ready for stern timbers
Porpose II  1836  brigantine/brig - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers
Vincennes  1825  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers assembled, need shaping
Peacock  1828  Sloop-of -War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Sea Gull  1838  pilot schooner -  timbers ready for assembly
Relief  1835  ship - timbers ready for assembly

Other

Portsmouth  1843  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Le Commerce de Marseilles  1788   118 cannons - framed

La Renommee 1744 Frigate - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers

Nothing made by ZHL is considered legit.

Kurt Van Dahm

Director

NAUTICAL RESEARCH GUILD

www.thenrg.org

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS

CLUBS

Nautical Research & Model Ship Society of Chicago

Midwest Model Shipwrights

North Shore Deadeyes

The Society of Model Shipwrights

Butch O'Hare - IPMS

I guess I'm a bit daft but why consider buying a ZHL model kit at all, directly or indirectly? Since ZHL doesn't offer a unique model kit just purchase the desired model kit from a legitimate manufacture. No matter the initial cost, taking the high ground always pays off in the long run. 

Edited by Keith Black

PRICE IS #1 TO MANY OR IS IT TOO MANY?

Kurt Van Dahm

Director

NAUTICAL RESEARCH GUILD

www.thenrg.org

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS

CLUBS

Nautical Research & Model Ship Society of Chicago

Midwest Model Shipwrights

North Shore Deadeyes

The Society of Model Shipwrights

Butch O'Hare - IPMS

• 1 month later...

Someone on Ships of Scale bought the ZHL kit and from looking at it, it's likely that they stole it from AL. There are a couple differences, like in how the parts are laid out, and a couple parts are different, so it might be a different kit. The guy's name on SoS is Jweb. 

36 minutes ago, Ferrus Manus said:

The sterns on the ZHL 1/48 model and the Model Shipyard kit, available in either 1/78 or 1/60, are identical. 

We need to be mindful of certain things when determining whether a kit is truly copied or not. Depending on what source materials are used, we would not necessarily expect the models produced by two different kits to look different, even if they are at different scales. They are, after all, modeling the same ship. This is a point that James and I were careful to make in our Anatomy of a Knock-Off article. Where the copy-cats have cut corners is on designing internal structures for models. There we definitely would not expect two designs to be exactly the same, as they were for the kits examined for the article. Personally, I have not been keeping a close eye on ZHL of late, so I can't recall whether we delved deeply into the provenance of their Surprise kit -- there are already enough blatant examples for making the case against ZHL.

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Hawker Hurricane

1 hour ago, Ferrus Manus said:

This is a screenie from ZHL's actual site showing the frames of the ship.

image.thumb.png.d10291866a4498bc797d08f939ea325c.png

@chris watton This looks like something you would design. Have you ever designed a Surprise, regardless of scale? They may have scaled it up. 

Nothing to do with me. I do have Surprise designs, but they have never left my PC. I think this is more a case of copying other manufacturers techniques rather than thinking and innovating for themselves. I see this a lot. It does grate when I see this crap, but I avoid as much as possible and just do my own thing.

logo.jpg
Vanguard Models on Facebook

Let’s end this thread with;

ZHL are Chinese pirates. Nothing said on SOS is true when it comes to ZHL.

Let’s move on. 

Regards,

Glenn

Current Build: HMS Winchelsea
Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose