Hello from New Mexico

I am 61 (retired at 60), and thought I would try some models. I have not made any models other than easy plastic ones >40 years ago, and honestly I am not 100% sure if I am interested in the hobby or if I would just like the final objects. In what I'm sure is a common story my wife and I went through a phase of reading a lot of British Navy age of sail warship fiction (Aubrey/Maturin, Hornblower etc.) and are interested in modeling in that era. We both did a lot of actual sailing when we were younger (small boats for me (Laser), family sized live-aboard for her), but now we live in New Mexico! (We also took an inspiring day trip to see the HMS Victory a few years ago).

I am pretty patient (I was formerly involved in writing/managing software for large radio telescopes, those systems take 10+ years), and have some (possibly) relevant skills in furniture sized woodworking (I have a well equipped shop), and have recently become interested in digital fabrication (CAD (F360), laser cutter, handheld CNC router (Shaper), 3D printer).

So far we have bought the Model Shipways dory and the new Artesania Latina 1:72 cross section. I realize that we will likely want to get another beginner(ish) model or two before working up to the cross section let alone anything full sized.

If anyone has read this far I have a couple of questions:

1. Is it practical for two people to work together on one model (maybe concentrating on different aspects in different sessions), or in reality is it a solitary activity?

2. Where could I find plans for 3D modeling if I want to try that? Ideally not just copies of old drawings, but with an explanatory text for modern sensibilities (& newbies), but also where I wouldn't be infringing on anyones IP if I made my models (not the underlying documentation or drawings) publicly available?

I'm looking forward to learning from you (not so sure about sharing what will probably be my very slow progress)!

Welcome!

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

40 minutes ago, Brian Glendenning said:

Is it practical for two people to work together on one model (maybe concentrating on different aspects in different sessions), or in reality is it a solitary activity?

Not in my house. 

Regardless of the project being a kit or scratch, research is extremely beneficial and that might to something to share.  Otherwise, unless your interests in ship, nation, era, priorities such as accuracy, et al, are identical it may be better for each to have their own project, even if it is the same vessel.   You may have something special though and can work together, but someone is going to have to make decisions when the inevitable stumbling block appears.

Welcome aboard😀

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

:sign:

Start so you can Finish !!

Finished:            The  Santa Maria -Amati 1:65, La Pinta- Amati 1:65, La Nina -Amati 1:65 ,                                                 Hannah

The Mayflower  Amati 1:60 Ship in Bottle-Amati 1:300 : The Sea of Galilee Boat-Scott Miller-1:20

Current Build:   To be decided!!

On Hold:            HMS Pegasus: Amati 

Welcome to MSW.  I would suggest you open build log(s) when you're ready as it's a great way to questions and also meet other modelers.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Regards, Patrick

Finished :  Soleil Royal Heller 1/100   Wasa Billing Boats   Bounty Revell 1/110 plastic (semi scratch)   Pelican / Golden Hind  1/45 scratch

Current build :  Mary Rose 1/50 scratch

Gallery Revell Bounty  Pelican/Golden hind 1/45 scratch

To do Prins Willem Corel, Le Tonnant Corel, Yacht d'Oro Corel, Thermopylae Sergal 

Shore leave,  non ship models build logs :  

ADGZ M35 funkwagen 1/72    Einhets Pkw. Kfz.2 and 4 1/72   Autoblinda AB40 1/72   122mm A-19 & 152mm ML-20 & 12.8cm Pak.44 {K8 1/2} 1/72   10.5cm Howitzer 16 on Mark. VI(e)  Centurion Mk.1 conversion   M29 Weasel 1/72     SAM6 1/72    T26 Finland  T26 TN 1/72  Autoprotetto S37 1/72     Opel Blitz buses 1/72  Boxer and MAN trucks 1/72   Hetzer38(t) Starr 1/72    

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Welcome to Model Ship World!  Why not try working together and see how it goes?  It could work out.

Good luck with your projects snd happy holidays!

20 hours ago, Brian Glendenning said:

1. Is it practical for two people to work together on one model (maybe concentrating on different aspects in different sessions), or in reality is it a solitary activity?

First, welcome aboard Brian!  My answer to the above question is:

I thought ship modeling was a solitary activity until I found Model Ship World.  Now, when I've got a build log going here, I feel like I've got a bunch of people from all over the world helping me work on my models.  There are so many amazing craftsmen out here that offer tip and suggestions, answer questions, and provide encouragement that I never feel like I'm working alone. 

Now that I think of it, we have had some couples building models even just one is doing some odds and ends.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)