Miranda by Team ricky - 42" mahogany live steam launch

:sign:

Regards, Patrick

Finished :  Soleil Royal Heller 1/100   Wasa Billing Boats   Bounty Revell 1/110 plastic (semi scratch)   Pelican / Golden Hind  1/45 scratch

Current build :  Mary Rose 1/50 scratch

Gallery Revell Bounty  Pelican/Golden hind 1/45 scratch

To do Prins Willem Corel, Le Tonnant Corel, Yacht d'Oro Corel, Thermopylae Sergal 

Shore leave,  non ship models build logs :  

ADGZ M35 funkwagen 1/72    Einhets Pkw. Kfz.2 and 4 1/72   Autoblinda AB40 1/72   122mm A-19 & 152mm ML-20 & 12.8cm Pak.44 {K8 1/2} 1/72   10.5cm Howitzer 16 on Mark. VI(e)  Centurion Mk.1 conversion   M29 Weasel 1/72     SAM6 1/72    T26 Finland  T26 TN 1/72  Autoprotetto S37 1/72     Opel Blitz buses 1/72  Boxer and MAN trucks 1/72   Hetzer38(t) Starr 1/72    

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Welcome!

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

Welcome to MSW.  I'm assuming this is a working steamer for say pond use?  We've had very few of those but we have had pond ships (non steamers) and static steramers.    I suggest you open a log in the scratch area as it's the appropriate place to let lus follow along.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

• 4 months later...

A bit more done ;)

well a lot more !!

I have fitted the steam plant completely and fitted a water pump system off the crank, Cunningly clever made from a mustard tin with bypass valve…

I can now run the boat on bypass pumping no water into the boiler - then when needed dock and close the cave to inject a tank into the boiler and even too up and repeat!

The hull is close to 30 coats of oil and the last process will be gloss yacht varnish…

I’ve got the radio to fit east job and the cabin roof tops again easy , Then on to the details/rails flag staffs and other deck finishes oh and a name !

F14A9927-0353-462A-AD88-FF5B9A09F56B.jpeg

14AA84FE-74E9-4C9D-ACAE-5ECAB6134F2B.jpeg

FE83DEAC-C190-41CB-B922-47C9EE4C1A4F.jpeg

85E063C0-EDF3-4934-B805-D68974F20B2D.jpeg

633B978A-3061-41DB-B465-CFE257A6D34B.jpeg

B0E5FCF0-E5D8-4BCF-B1EE-FD6E55B35DAE.jpeg

• The title was changed to Miranda by Team ricky - 42" mahogany live steam launch

Rick, I'd appreciate seeing photos of your home on the water unless that's invading your privacy. 

Truly wonderful work on the steam engine, thank you for posting. 

Ah! it is a wobbler engine. If you ever want to try something a little more efficient - double acting, self starting and reversible you can always try this on your next model. https://www.machinistblog.com/downloads/paddleduck/04_building_a_model_steam_engine_from_scratch_chapter_4_567_418.pdf

I built one and it works a treat.

Nice work on Miranda. You should do a build log on the boiler and engine build.

You seem to be living on a boat?

Edited by KeithAug

Keith

Current Build:-

Cangarda (Steam Yacht) - Scale 1:24

Previous Builds:-

Schooner Germania (Nova) - Scale 1:36

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/19848-schooner-germania-nova-by-keithaug-scale-136-1908-2011/

Schooner Altair by KeithAug - Scale 1:32 - 1931

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/12515-schooner-altair-by-keithaug-scale-132-1931/?p=378702

J Class Endeavour by KeithAug - Amati - Scale 1:35 - 1989 after restoration.

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/10752-j-class-endeavour-by-keithaug-amati-scale-135-1989-after-restoration/?p=325029

Other Topics

Nautical Adventures

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13727-nautical-adventures/?p=422846

27 minutes ago, Team ricky said:

here’s a picture of home

And a lovely home she is, thank you for sharing.

If you don't mind me asking, where's home port?

Edited by Keith Black

It doesn't get much better than this! "Fantastic work and a wonderful project this is!" Viewing this build log, and the videos, could easily send me down a very interesting 'rabbit-hole', or two... and possibly get me into a lot of trouble with my wallet and the Mrs.!    

"The journey of a thousand miles is only a beginning!"

Current Build;

All current builds are on the ol' drawing board

On the Drawing Board;

1777 Continental Frigate 'Hancock', Scratch Build, Admiralty/Pseudo Hahn Style, "In work, active in CAD design stage!"

1776 Gunboat Philadelphia, Scratch Build, "In work and active in both research and design phases"

In dry dock;

Scratch Build of USS Constitution... on hold until further notice, if any.

Constructro 'Cutty Sark' ... Hull completed, awaiting historically accurate modifications to the deck, deck houses, etc., "Gathering Dust!"

Corel HMS Victory Cross Section kit "BASH"... being neglected!

It’s very rewarding! 

some bits are expensive if you’re not already set up with at least a mini lathe and mill attachment 

here’s mine it’s very capable and extremely accurate probably more so than larger machines for small parts!

you can make all your own hardware, thread cut with change gears, use a rotary table for Pcd work just the full package!

Ive found if it’s a case of buying the engine and boiler that Clevedon steam is the best value, you can finish the wood cladding and put the fittings in which gives a bit of ownership :)

852D38DF-BE5C-4057-8B8C-7234304FDD46.png

13 hours ago, Team ricky said:

here’s a picture of home ;)

Boat life looks good - particularly as you seem to have a stove for heating. I assume she is still mobile?

Nice work on those engines.

Keith

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/19848-schooner-germania-nova-by-keithaug-scale-136-1908-2011/

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/12515-schooner-altair-by-keithaug-scale-132-1931/?p=378702

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/10752-j-class-endeavour-by-keithaug-amati-scale-135-1989-after-restoration/?p=325029

Other Topics

Nautical Adventures

6 hours ago, Team ricky said:

it’s certainly nice to be able to change locations if you want 

Sounds wonderful. 

image.thumb.png.890c8e00829603fb5b4c9cff09812d51.png

What is the bi-plane if you don't mind me asking?

Edited by KeithAug

Keith

Other Topics

Nautical Adventures

For whatever it is worth, I designed and built a Stainless Steel 10 gallon 'Fire-Tube' steam boiler for my employer this past spring. He wants us to be able to steam bend 1.5" diameter and 2" diameter solid round hardwoods as a new product line for our Architectural construction related business.  Nobody else seems to do that, so we'll likely be the first. I've also designed and built a curious steam bending fixture that has adjustable 'false bulkheads' to be used as forms to bend the wood around, after steaming. No need to cut out plywood forms, etc. Just adjust the bulkheads to the proper locations for the radius required and you're ready to bend wood. It's powered by a 9,000-pound winch that folks typically put on their Jeeps and trucks for off-road stuff. 9,000 pounds will allow for much thicker timbers should the boss ever want to steam bend such. Yes, all these woods will be compression bent to prevent splintering and failures. My steam chamber is made from 6" x 6" square stainless-steel tubing that is 14' feet long, with a 1/4" thick wall. Operating pressure is adjustable but expected to be set somewhere around 2psi within the chamber. The heat softens the wood, the steam is only a 'carrier' of that heat. I'm hoping that 2psi of steam will enhance and accelerate the penetration of heat into the timbers requiring less time in the chamber and increasing efficiency and daily production. We'll see if I'm right when all is finally said and done. The chamber hasn't been built yet. Anyway, the attached video is of my initial testing of the boiler system. I needed to ensure that there were no leaks, and also make sure that my math was correct and that I was not accidentally building a potential BOMB! The tests went well, but not without a few nervous moments. The attached video shows the boiler making steam on its first firing. The exhaust hole in the center of the top has some temporary shielding insulating the hot gasses escaping from the boiler stack from coming into direct contact with two redundant emergency pressure relief valves. One relief valve is there to blow if the boiler pressure exceeds 6psi. The second relief valve is there in case the first valve fails, or the pressure builds too rapidly and needs a little extra relief! The boiler has been completed and now has a proper 'chimney'. This video is mostly just an operational test and a leak check. When I actually tested the relief valves, I moved some metal shields in place to protect anyone from shrapnel should the boiler blow up. All went well, but I must admit that I almost pooped my pants when those safety valves finally let go. I was expecting a gentle 'HISSSSSS' that would gradually get louder and louder until it started to get quieter and quieter. That didn't happen at all. Both valves let go, at the same time, with a sudden, unexpected, thunderous ROAR that was deafening! "Scared me half to death, as well as half of the factory employees!" Too bad that I didn't video 'that' one, huh!

Anyway... now you know one of the reasons why I find your build log and your steam engine build so very interesting! 🙂                     

"The journey of a thousand miles is only a beginning!"

Current Build;

All current builds are on the ol' drawing board

On the Drawing Board;

1777 Continental Frigate 'Hancock', Scratch Build, Admiralty/Pseudo Hahn Style, "In work, active in CAD design stage!"

1776 Gunboat Philadelphia, Scratch Build, "In work and active in both research and design phases"

In dry dock;

Scratch Build of USS Constitution... on hold until further notice, if any.

Constructro 'Cutty Sark' ... Hull completed, awaiting historically accurate modifications to the deck, deck houses, etc., "Gathering Dust!"

Corel HMS Victory Cross Section kit "BASH"... being neglected!