Hello from Leicester, England

Hi All, Nic here from Leicester.

I understand this is a familiar story....Ive recently inherited a model ship built from scratch by my grandfather, at least half built. He never completed it after doing the majority of the hull it seems. No idea what to do with it but I am a keen amateur woodworker albeit not a modeller. I am considering taking up the hobby to complete this fine model he's started although if someone else fancied it that would be equally fine.

First of all I need to work out what ship it is. My googling has not yielded anything except clarity its not the Mary Rose to my mothers surprise. He was a member of the many Rose society so I think it was assumed to be that ship early on.  

Is anyone able to advise what ship it is or offer any suggestions/advice on what to do next with it! maybe tips how to start this interesting hobby.

Many thanks,

Nic

image.thumb.jpeg.39fceafe16a219b41b0ce198cf344d5f.jpeg

F7AB283B-EBDD-4FB1-9B64-C2FAF0D0E808.thumb.jpg.fbd75449b7642e9d531289304158c4b3.jpgC0AB3796-B870-4944-9D7E-87CB33E3580F.thumb.jpg.7629ee8cdc3b9825b7672bfe306c26ce.jpg134F3B6C-0B7A-4FD8-810B-234D6FC9B502.thumb.jpg.653de89223548211f97f3ae1b5fde962.jpg30C0E047-5013-45A4-A710-0F3D6DC92107.thumb.jpg.99dfb43574c479523020f83a30c4812e.jpg

Welcome to MSW, Nic.   There's some very nice work there on that model.   As to which ship...  I take it no plans, notes or anything else related found?   This may be hard to sort out.   It looks familiar, probably late 1700's and English I'd guess.  I hope someone else will recognize it.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

It’s a beautiful ship.  You may want to reach out to Chris Watton of Vanguard Models, he has designed a wide range of ships from this era so, assuming it’s not one of his, he may recognize it.  He is a member on this site so you may be able to contact him through one of his posts or on line through his website.

Good luck

Marc

Hi, Nic. Your grandfather obviously had some skill at making models. It looks like it may be HMS Prince 1670.

image.jpeg.1481cfdfeda5d28b1d9dd79bc2afea01.jpeg

An Italian kit manufacturer, Aeropiccola, once made a kit of her, and I have seen at least one example of someone building a scratch model from the kit's plans. The bad news for any new modeler is that this particular ship is one of the most challenging subjects a modeler could choose. In addition to the copious amounts of rigging (which could be omitted if the modeler chose to build a hull model, i.e., no rigging), Prince sported an incredibly lavish suite of carved ornamentation. It's not my intention to scare you off your project, but I think you'd want to know just what kind of challenge you would be taking on.

http://www.modelshipgallery.com/gallery/misc/sail/HMSPrince-144-mda/index.htm

Cheers!

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Hawker Hurricane

Nic, first off, welcome to MSW.

As you're not a modeler my suggestion is to leave it as is unless you're willing to spend the next 5 to 7 years gaining the necessary skills to undertake completing your grandfather's model. Though incomplete, it's a beautiful model as is and it would be a shame to sell it and have it leave the family. In our throwaway society of today very little from the lives of our deceased family members gets passed down.

Now, if you've got the itch to start model ship building, please speak up and you'll be directed on which first builds you should attempt and what tools you'll need to start with. Wood ship modeling is a deep deep rabbit hole and it takes years of commitment to reach a point where one starts to think they're finally getting it. I'm not trying to put you off by any means, I'm merely trying to share with you the reality of the situation. Don't be fooled by the little devil sitting on your shoulder whispering, "how hard can it be".

Whatever direction you go, the very best to you. Glad to have you aboard.

Keith  

Thanks everyone for your kind words about the model. I know my grandfather was incredibly particular about it never settling for less than perfection. Potentially to the point of not enjoying it unfortunately. I guess he must have built previous boats to achieve this skill level that are no longer around, at least to the remaining families knowledge.

Based on pictures it does seem to be the HMS Prince. If so the amount of decoration and details are certainly overwhelming. It would appear that the hull is not in any way complete, merely just finished the foundational work!! So much gold and Rigging !!

Keith mentioned selling it. It is not the intention however I'm surprised to even think there is a market for partially built models. Surely completing one from scratch is the preferred route for such a complex and time consuming craft?

A couple of you mentioned slightly easier routes to get into the hobby. Are there resources on what this would entail that I could be pointed to? 

Thanks,

Nic

4 minutes ago, Nica21 said:

A couple of you mentioned slightly easier routes to get into the hobby. Are there resources on what this would entail that I could be pointed to? 

We live in a Golden Age of beginner-level wood kits. It's a great idea to start with one of the many simple rowed craft or small sailing boats that are available. One of the best lines was produced by Midwest Products -- you can still find the original kits on eBay. The Midwest Products boats are now made by Model Shipways here in the States and are available from Model Expo (ME). ME also makes a series of progressively more challenging beginner kits called the Shipwright Series. In the UK, Vanguard Models makes a line of small fishing vessels specifically designed with beginners in mind. To get a good overview of the process of building a wooden model, check out the classic book on the subject Ship Modeling Simplified by Frank Mastini -- it's easy to find, inexpensive, and a good read.

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Hawker Hurricane

Welcome!

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Nica21 said:

Keith mentioned selling it

Nic, I mentioned NOT selling it. I only brought up not selling it because of your comment "although if someone else fancied it that would be equally fine" which made me think you were considering selling it. As I said, it would be a shame if it got away from your family. I don't think you need a display case for the model unless there are wee hands and rambunctious animals about. It could easily be dusted with one and two inch soft bristle paint brushes. 

Edited by Keith Black

Welcome to Model Ship World Nic.  What a beautiful model ship.  It would be a shame not to keep this model in the family and hand it down to future generations.  My suggestion is to finish it as a hull model sans full masts, and rigging (although that would be impressive).  This would be a HUGE undertaking for someone with no ship modeling experience but may be done with persistence.  Based on my experience here on MSW I'm sure there may be some ship modelers in the UK who might be willing to finish it for you or guide you to finishing it yourself.  You should be able to finish the work since you have previous woodworking experience.  Finishing it yourself as your skills develop will add to the legacy of this model as it is passed down within your family.

I wish you al the best with this amazing project.

Welcome Aboard!

Wawona 59

John

Next Project::  New Bedford Whaleboat - Model Shipways

Wish list for "Seattle Connection" builds:  1/96 Lumber Schooner Wawona, 1/96 Down Easter St. Paul, 1/32 Hydroplane Slo-Mo-Shun IV  

Completed Builds: Midwest - Chesapeake Bay Flattie (highly modified); Revell - 1/96 Constitution, 1/96 Thermopylae, 1/96 Cutty Sark, 1/570 Titanic; Dragon - 1/700 USS Arizona; Model Shipways - NY Pilot Boat Phantom, Aurora - Whaling Ship Wanderer, Maquette - Boeing 307 Stratoliner

Hey Nic,

Don’t be taken in by that fella above called No Idea, he does have an idea.  I would concur with him and go for a Vanguard models kit. In a large part because they are in the UK and if you have any issues they are not far away. My current builds are from USA sourced suppliers but I got a couple of Vanguard kits under my belt first.

I would suggest this kit to test your mettle;

https://vanguardmodels.co.uk/product/fifie-lady-eleanor/

The hull shape gives you the best chance of success at this early stage and you can probably buy the kit and all the tools and paints required for under £200 quid. If you go for it and need advice along the way, just shout out.

it was my first dabble at wooden boats and I have lots of photo’s etc

Good luck bud

Paul

If you don't mind my two cents worth, the quality of work on the model you inherited is high - and it has the appearance (with little more to do) of an Admiralty Model.  Adding gun ports lids (hinge kits are available from Syren) could be done.  Not sure, but you might fashion basic wooden gun mounts (no detailing required) to hold cannon barrels or half-barrels that could be put into the side gunports from the outside with long tweezers.  A dab of wood glue before positioning, when cured, would hold them well enough.

Add channels with just the lower deadeyes with chainplate, a stub mainmast and bowsprit, detailed guns for the weather deck and a few other finishing details ... and you'd have something impressive to make a case for.  Or, simply encase the models as-is.  

Completed builds:  Khufu Solar Barge - 1:72 Woody Joe

Current project(s): Gorch Fock restoration 1:100, Billing Wasa (bust) - 1:100 Billings, Great Harry (bust) 1:88 ex. Sergal 1:65

:sign:

Start so you can Finish !!

Finished:            The  Santa Maria -Amati 1:65, La Pinta- Amati 1:65, La Nina -Amati 1:65 ,                                                 Hannah Ship in Bottle-Amati 1:300 : The Sea of Galilee Boat-Scott Miller-1:20

Current Build:   The Mayflower: Amati 

On Hold:            HMS Pegasus: Amati