Shelby Cobra Coupe by DocRob - Model Factory Hiro - 1/12 - multi-media - Le Mans

Hola friends of American heavy metal,

My next project will be the famous and fantastic looking Shelby Cobra Coupe from Model Factory Hiro in 1/12 scale. Only six of these cars were built in 1964 and 1965. It was a successful design and incorporated early aerodynamic aspects. My build will be the second build chassis with the number CSX 2286, which competed in Le Mans, but didn´t finish due to clutch problems.
I may add a bit more history later during the build.

I purchased the kit directly from MFH in Japan and after one week of record breaking shipping time, it appeared on my doorstep as my second MFH kit after the Crocker.

P1011203.thumb.JPG.acbf283337a6b4a8714bd5b7bcfd5922.JPG

I will show some pictures of what is in the box, but I will not unwrap everything, therefore the quality of some of the pictures is a bit sub optimal, but I will show everything during the build.

First of all there is the magnificent two part resin body, with the hood and doors and back will be openable. Casting quality is fantastic and only a minimum of cleanup will be necessary. 

P1011731.thumb.JPG.b38f587ca3f6c2691837d0c9c426460c.JPG

P1011733.thumb.JPG.ca8246a393419442f7576127ae884c6d.JPG

There are aluminum turned rims, which later receive cast metal inserts and fantastic tyres with producer print and blue hairline.

P1011740.thumb.JPG.ab0df2909fbb321aa55d4e542b9df705.JPG

P1011735.thumb.JPG.c65b4c6b3e998a5b01403c2938e1adfe.JPG

Three plates of photo etched parts:

P1011738.thumb.JPG.055c437f3ed5e2ff1b337fd88952ba10.JPG

A bag full of multi media accessories, like turned headlights and funnels, clear resin parts, screws and coil springs, cables and tubes, seat belt material, ...

P1011741.thumb.JPG.abbef12535725fb6313561dc248576e4.JPG

The windshield and headlight covers are clear vacuum formed parts, which need to be cut out and the rear window is tinted brown vac style (not shown)
For the side windows, there is a flat clear acetate sheet, with cut and drill markings and a rubber framing for the windshield.

P1011739.thumb.JPG.e7b2e4b497034931d622dd82a653a2ab.JPG

There are decals for four different cars all in the same Shelby Guardsman blue. I hope the white stripes are opaque enough to not let show the metallic blue underlayer through.

P1011729.thumb.JPG.8f1ce60d1cfc0dc88f2267f8b996ca96.JPG

And then there is a heap of cast white metal parts, which I cleaned with my magnetic tumble polisher and 0,3 mm polishing needles for about an hour.

P1011718.thumb.JPG.fbe3fa051f6a6aabe472b2a27021feed.JPG

After picking the parts out of the dirty black water, I spread them on paper towels and started the tedious process to identify all the parts, sort them into box compartments according to the parts list and manual for double checking and after two eye straining :icon_eek: days found, all the parts are there, phew.

P1011723.thumb.JPG.9ebc21a06359604744d4e657c22527c8.JPG

P1011727.thumb.JPG.910d43d7d0aaf56478ca5bb1543dbc26.JPG

P1011728.thumb.JPG.cb10d9842378cefbe1895d498d72b5d8.JPG

The last box contains bits like screws, bolts and rivets, smaller parts, which will be used in different steps of the build and lastly the parts used for other chassis.

P1011726.thumb.JPG.a0209d2d83179b9e7b9c9a0e405b86a9.JPG

So far for now.

Cheers Rob

Current builds:   
                             Shelby Cobra Coupe by DocRob - Model Factory Hiro - 1/12 
                             McLaren Mp4/6 - Ayrton Senna - Fujimi - 1/20 - paused
                             Duchess of Kingston - paused 

Finished builds: F4U-1A Corsair - Tamiya 1/32

USS Arizona 1/350 Eduard
                             Caudron C.561 French Racing Plane 1/48
                             Nachtigall on Speed Arado 234 B-2N by DocRob - 1/32 - Fly

Renault RE20 Turbo - Tamiya - 1/12
                             P-38J Wicked Woman - Tamiya - 1/48
                             AEG G.IV Creature of the Night - WNW - 1/32
                             "Big Tank" Crocker OHV motorcycle by DocRob - Model Factory Hiro - 1/9

• The title was changed to Shelby Cobra Coupe by DocRob - Model Factory Hiro - 1/12 - multi-media - Le Mans

Oh, I'm down....

Wouldn't miss it...

Current Build: F-86F-30 Sabre by Egilman - Kinetic - 1/32nd scale

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

Terminated Build: F-104C Starfighter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

"Relish Today, Ketchup Tomorrow"

21 hours ago, Dave_E said:

I’ll watch! 👍🍿🥤How big is this thing? If i may ask, how much did the kit cost?

17 hours ago, yvesvidal said:

Dave, you know how the saying goes..... 😞

13 hours ago, Egilman said:

Oh, I'm down....

Wouldn't miss it...

13 hours ago, king derelict said:

A fabulous subject and it looks like a magnificent kit. I’ll watch with fascination

Muchas gracias señhores, I just started some cleanup and drilling to get a feel for the kit. I don´t want to rush the start, as I learned through the Crocker build, that a proper sequence and lots of dry fitting are the key to success. 

@Dave_E: The finished Cobra Coupe will be approximately 36 cm long and 16 cm wide. The price, well, I don´t like to discuss prices in logs and will send you an email.

Cheers Rob

Current builds:   

USS Arizona 1/350 Eduard

5 hours ago, DocRob said:

I don´t like to discuss prices in logs and will send you an email.

Yep, [chuckle] the check is in the mail... {giggle} (most of us already know)

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

Looking forward to this. What a beauty, and you are 100% correct in what you said in another thread...the cost of a 1:12 Tamiya formula 1 kit with all the detail sets to trick it out are equal to and most likely exceed the cost of a great 1:12 MFH kit like this one. Besides that, no one else I know of even produces a 1:12 scale kit of the Cobra Daytona Coupe. My hesitation on MFH kits is primarily due to my lack of experience working with the white metal parts. A total unknown for me, and it will be great seeing how you deal with it here.

15 minutes ago, CDW said:

My hesitation on MFH kits is primarily due to my lack of experience working with the white metal parts. A total unknown for me, and it will be great seeing how you deal with it here.

Amen Brother.... I couldn't have said it better myself....

Quote:

If Rob is doing the build, I'm in. This car was and is a classic. 👍

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

Posted (edited)

Looking at all those bits  -  Its  a  Real car  just in miniature.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

14 hours ago, CDW said:

Looking forward to this. What a beauty, and you are 100% correct in what you said in another thread...the cost of a 1:12 Tamiya formula 1 kit with all the detail sets to trick it out are equal to and most likely exceed the cost of a great 1:12 MFH kit like this one. Besides that, no one else I know of even produces a 1:12 scale kit of the Cobra Daytona Coupe. My hesitation on MFH kits is primarily due to my lack of experience working with the white metal parts. A total unknown for me, and it will be great seeing how you deal with it here.

14 hours ago, Egilman said:

Amen Brother.... I couldn't have said it better myself....

With the MFH Crocker build under my belt, I gained some experience with these kind of kits. The Cobra needs less bare metal surface preparation, as most of the components get painted, but you have to unify metal and resin parts more often. The Crocker was 95% metal, with only the seat, the tyres and some smaller parts made from other materials.
I can´t really comment about the difficulty of working with metals, as I proper learned it when I was young, but that was a long time ago. At least, I found the metal working aspect more tempting than daunting. 

The cast white metal parts, MFH provides are of a very high quality and well engineered, however, you have to clean them and drill hundreds of holes into these parts for every connection. Even more than with plastic models, you have to fit the parts perfectly and dry fit a lot, because tolerances add up on complex assemblies, like the Crocker engine and you may run in trouble later on, if you hadn´t taken that into account enough.
This needs a proper planning and following the manual, as some areas are hard or impossible to reach for drilling in case you have overseen something. 

You need a decent tool set, mainly consisting of quality drill bits of every size under 2,5 mm, a pin wise (or better more than one), pliers, cutters and tweezers. For clean up, normal files and sand paper is sufficient, the metal is very soft and good to work with.
A power tool, like a Proxxon is very helpful for drilling and polishing, I use mine in a stand and more important added a foot pedal.
A good and reliable CA glue is needed. I didn´t use Epoxy with the Crocker, but there may be places with the Cobra, where it could help.

Preparation of the metal parts is a key, too. Yo can do it by hand or leave maybe 80% of the cleaning job to a magnetic tumbler. I liked the results with 0,3 mm polishing needles best, as these clean even the tiniest crevices and don´t soften details. A good primer is needed, I use Mr. Surfacer and the usual model paints, in my case mostly Tamiya lacquers, where i really like their gloss black and semi gloss black.

I was a bit surprised, that the Crocker build took only about two months, I expected more, but it was motivating fun (a bad weather stretch was also helpful), but except from the chain, which I finally got assembled as well, I didn´t run into bigger problems during the build.

Verdict: If you really like to build one of these magnificent kits, do it, take your time and prepare thoroughly. Like Craig said, some of the subjects were never released by other companies.

Cheers Rob

Current builds:   

USS Arizona 1/350 Eduard

14 hours ago, Canute said:

If Rob is doing the build, I'm in. This car was and is a classic. 👍

It´s a beauty, indeed. Thanks for the motivational push, Ken

14 hours ago, CDW said:

Indeed it is. And a stunning beauty as well. If I remember correctly, this thing gave the kings of the hill, Ferrari, fits back in the day. It's every bit as good or better looking than the Ferrari 250 GTO's IMO.

I like the 250 GTO a lot and might be tempted to buy one (in 1/12 scale :D), if MFH decides to re-release it. Would make a nice display, if shown together with the beautiful Cobra Coupe.

11 hours ago, Old Collingwood said:

Looking at all those bits  -  Its  a  Real car  just in miniature.

Almost, OC, there are lots of parts, indeed and building up this kit, will e a lot of work. If it´s equally rewarding, like the Crocker build, I´m a lucky guy.

Cheers Rob

Current builds:   

USS Arizona 1/350 Eduard

Only to show, that I´m actually working on the Cobra, I made some mock up shots with the prepared main engine components, which will be airbrushed next. The resin body needed quite some adjustments to fit properly and there are about 100 holes drilled into these parts, to accept other accessories.
The cast quality of the rocker covers is unfortunately not very good, with a lot of pitting. The photos show the state after two hours of sanding and polishing. The pics exaggerate the effect a bit, but the covers won´t do like this as polished finish, so some more elbow grease is needed.

P1011743.thumb.JPG.b788b722e7dd478bae35326024da0eb6.JPG 

P1011744.thumb.JPG.8cebb6c65178f0adb4c761a73d91cb85.JPG

P1011745.thumb.JPG.1baf4015d21e3e81514643218dba8f0c.JPG

Cheers Rob

Current builds:   

USS Arizona 1/350 Eduard

The last days, there was not a lot of bench time to have with our dog being seriously ill and an actual heat wave, but I managed to work a bit on the engine.
What you see on the picture consists of about 70 parts. All screws and rivets need to be drilled and glued in.
I gave the rocker covers another work intensive go and grinded and sanded, until I was halfway satisfied and then polished the parts with Autosol metal polish.
Somehow, my camera struggles to capture high shine finishes, but the rocker covers look ok now.
The PE exhaust seals were a bit of a pain, because the holes needed to be drilled out for the fitting `screws´ which are in fact bolts.
I would have preferred to have the whole engine in metal. The resin parts needed a lot of work to make them fit. 

P1011749.thumb.JPG.1214b111d9b52a452ceb9a26b42ec7b2.JPG

Cheers Rob

Current builds:   

USS Arizona 1/350 Eduard

Today, I prepared all the carburetor parts and finished assembling the first pair, which consists of almost thirty parts. The inox pipe in the middle of the funnel was pretty rigid. It had to be cut from a tube and the manual suggests rolling it under a sharp blade. I tried, but no success. I took out my mini mitre and razor saw and managed to cut eight parts, while loosing all the teeth on the blade. 
Again the holes on the PE parts were to small, to accept the bolts and needed to be re drilled. Pretty annoying, given it´s not brass, but very rigid stainless steel.

P1011754.thumb.JPG.f1f37c0725bd43f19276cf69e4512229.JPG

P1011756.thumb.JPG.0fe260539871c892472eab59b4c1118b.JPG

I also added the distributor, where tiny rods of steel rod are glued into each connector for accepting the tiny rubber isolators. These needed to be drilled wit a 0,3 mm bit to later (hopefully) accept the ignition wiring.

P1011755.thumb.JPG.d2a44fc7b43d420cc65f960fe3ac0269.JPG

Cheers Rob

Current builds:   

USS Arizona 1/350 Eduard

The engine got near finished, lacking the ignition wiring and the drive belts in front. To mount all the carburetor parts into the tub was extremely difficult, done by the manual, it would have been impossible. I spare you the details, but you should put in the four carburetor blocks at the same time, only connected by a fragile steering rod and then add the coil spring mechanism with no wiggle room at all. It took some thinking and manipulating of parts to get it right. 
The carburetor housings were beforehand accentuated with black panel liner. I also added some decals onto engine parts.

P1011757.thumb.JPG.7f6d82b1b287f49c2edcc9c06c4ffeec.JPG

P1011758.thumb.JPG.a14dcaddda94ad6d474776227b88dcf6.JPG

P1011760.thumb.JPG.df761885ab079c60e243b6fea2bab1b6.JPG

P1011761.thumb.JPG.cd07d21f17235288e0965243fa78cb2b.JPG

Cheers Rob

Current builds:   

USS Arizona 1/350 Eduard

23 hours ago, CDW said:

At this scale, it looks like the real thing. Beautiful.

22 hours ago, yvesvidal said:

I like the engine overall, but the oil filter is out of this world.

Thank you Craig and Yves. the engine is a piece of beauty with all the detail, but it´s also hard to get together in parts, but what´s modeling without a bit of a challenge :D. The oil filter was primed and then sprayed gloss read. After the third pass with the airbrush, the edges still were a bit translucent and I decided to let it like that, to generate a bit of depth the cheap way.

Cheers Rob

Current builds:   

USS Arizona 1/350 Eduard