1967 Foose Dodge Charger by CDW - FINISHED - Revell - 1:25 Scale - Plastic

Posted (edited)

While I am building a much larger, more time consuming 1:12 Porsche Carrera GT kit, I need to squeeze in another build for a model club challenge where we build a given subject each month. This month's challenge is anything Mopar, so my response will be the Foose custom 1967 Dodge Charger. This should be a quick build that won't take more than a week or two to complete. The kit body straight out of the box was very nicely molded. Only a couple of small hints of a mold seam line and those were easily polished out with a 600 grit sanding sponge followed by 4000 and 6000 grit polishing cloth. The body was primed with Mr Surfacer 1500 black and after dry, polished again with the 6000 grit polishing cloth. Next it got a couple of coats of Tamiya gloss black. After allowing it to cure overnight, will mask it off to shoot gloss metallic silver on the sides to match the Foose paint scheme as seen on the box art. My intention is to keep the kit pretty much box stock as I like the custom Foose parts included with the kit. Will add a few under hood details.

IMG_6537.thumb.jpg.5115b7fc8ad416daa6593a42a6b4861e.jpgDSCN4145.thumb.JPG.3e7ce1a7265214af9fdbf7a600889caf.JPGDSCN4146.thumb.JPG.bfbce5fa6983a3a46faf3d5b30da5127.JPGIMG_6536.thumb.jpg.000f53afd7d622a1207f7fc31528ef72.jpg

Edited by CDW

Will be an interesting build. Sharp looking car. Chip Foose cars are really attention getters.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

I'm in, I wanna see how you do that red pinstripe between the Black & Silver...

Current Build: F-86F-30 Sabre by Egilman - Kinetic - 1/32nd scale

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

Terminated Build: F-104C Starfighter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

"Relish Today, Ketchup Tomorrow"

Ok Red Stripe, mask, Gloss Black, Mask, Metallic Silver over the black....

Did I guess right? {chuckle} question is how did you get that stripe so line perfect is the real question....

I understand not wanting to give up all your special secrets though.... 

Very Fine Work on that stripe, Nice....

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

20 hours ago, Egilman said:

Ok Red Stripe, mask, Gloss Black, Mask, Metallic Silver over the black....

Did I guess right? {chuckle} question is how did you get that stripe so line perfect is the real question....

I understand not wanting to give up all your special secrets though.... 

Very Fine Work on that stripe, Nice....

It's not a secret, EG. I just wanted to see if you or others could spot what it is. After I painted the black, then masked and painted the silver, used a decal that is black on top with the red pinstripe underneath. It blends right in with the black and is very hard to see. Once the decals cure, I will give the body several clear coats at which time the decal seams should become practically invisible. I took a couple of photos using the flash to try and put more light on the subject.

DSCN4152.JPG

DSCN4153.JPG

Holly  Molly   -  thats  looking  Superb,   you  so  know how to make your  scale  cars  Pop.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

3 hours ago, CDW said:

t's not a secret, EG. I just wanted to see if you or others could spot what it is. After I painted the black, then masked and painted the silver, used a decal that is black on top with the red pinstripe underneath. It blends right in with the black and is very hard to see. Once the decals cure, I will give the body several clear coats at which time the decal seams should become practically invisible. I took a couple of photos using the flash to try and put more light on the subject.

I'm sorry brother, you just confused the absolute H**L outta me... I haven't a clue about the process you used... A black decal over the red pinstripe?, is as far as the description goes... When does the black decal come off to expose the pinstripe? certainly before you clear coat it correct.... It's an absolutely beautiful finished job on getting that pinstripe to show like on the real deal.... but I still haven't a clue about getting from A to B in creating it...

I don't know, brother maybe it's the many drugs I'm on, I'm just not connecting here....

Quote:

28 minutes ago, Egilman said:

I'm sorry brother, you just confused the absolute H**L outta me... I haven't a clue about the process you used... A black decal over the red pinstripe?, is as far as the description goes... When does the black decal come off to expose the pinstripe? certainly before you clear coat it correct.... It's an absolutely beautiful finished job on getting that pinstripe to show like on the real deal.... but I still haven't a clue about getting from A to B in creating it...

I don't know, brother maybe it's the many drugs I'm on, I'm just not connecting here....

Imagine a thick black pinstripe and immediately below it is a thin red pinstripe. That on decal paper is what I applied to the black and silver body, along the line to demarcation. The black part of the decal overlaps the black paint while the red part of the decal covers the silver.

I should have taken a photo while applying the decal then it would be crystal clear what I'm trying to put into words.

Wow, that looks great.  The pictures with the flash really show it off.

So it is not two decals on top of each other, it is one decal with a red stripe next to a black stripe and the black stripe is just over the black paint.  What is the advantage of that?  I guess just keeping it so there is no silver visible on the "wrong" side of the red stripe.   Do you plan to slice the decal at the door panel gaps?

- Gary

Current Build: Artesania Latina Sopwith Camel

Completed Builds: Blue Jacket America 1/48th  Annapolis Wherry

5 hours ago, CDW said:

Imagine a thick black pinstripe and immediately below it is a thin red pinstripe. That on decal paper is what I applied to the black and silver body, along the line to demarcation. The black part of the decal overlaps the black paint while the red part of the decal covers the silver.

I should have taken a photo while applying the decal then it would be crystal clear what I'm trying to put into words.

But then if you had taken a pic while applying the decals you ran the risk of it sticking in the wrong place, decals are tricky like that... So I asked the question and that caused you to explain the missing step...

Excellent Work and a good technique I'm surprised I didn't think of that, layering decals just like layering paint...

Thanks...

Quote:

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, gsdpic said:

Wow, that looks great.  The pictures with the flash really show it off.

So it is not two decals on top of each other, it is one decal with a red stripe next to a black stripe and the black stripe is just over the black paint.  What is the advantage of that?  I guess just keeping it so there is no silver visible on the "wrong" side of the red stripe.   Do you plan to slice the decal at the door panel gaps?

Printing a decal with the black and red clearly and perfectly defined is a lot more effective than trying to mask that effect and painting it.
Photos don’t really show the shape of the body side panels very well. I would need a cross section drawing to show that, but it would be very difficult to use masking to get the effect achieved with the decal. The shape is complicated.

In post 7, the first of the three photos show the body after the decal had been applied. The two photos following the first photo show the body before the decal. Expand or zoom in on those photos and you will see the rough line where I masked between the black and silver. The decal hides that and makes the red pinstripe look more perfect.

Edited by CDW

Outstanding technique, Craig. And yes, the flash really makes it pop.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

Detailing the interior then test fitting the body to chassis fit with the interior temporarily in place. Also checking the ride height as I cut and modified the suspension to lower the wheels and tires inside the wheel wells.

It should all fit better/tighter once it's all permanently glued in place. Can't do that right yet. More details and the entire engine bay assembly to be done first.

DSCN4156.JPG

DSCN4157.JPG

DSCN4160.JPG

Did you change the paint color on the lower half from silver to black ? Or is that the blue mat under the model messing with the color ? 

Either way still a beautiful model. Nice work Craig !

Excellent work  Craig   -  looks  Stunning.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1