America by popeye the sailor - FINISHED - Billing Boats - 1:72 scale

Glad to see that :wub: is getting a good workout, popeye! 

Congrats on another promotion - since Sjors is the senior Captain he is obligated to provide the :champagne-popping-smiley-emotic for the celebration!

Wayne

Neither should a ship rely on one small anchor, nor should life rest on a single hope.
Epictetus

Glad to see that :wub: is getting a good workout, popeye! 

Congrats on another promotion - since Sjors is the senior Captain he is obligated to provide the :champagne-popping-smiley-emotic for the celebration!

Where is that UN like button………. :D  :D  :D  :D  :D

animaatjes-sjors-94584.gif

Congratulations Popeye :cheers: .  Yup, Sjors pays for the party!

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

awwww,  I really don't pay attention to it much.........I just have fun.   I should have more on this build soon.   here's a good laugh for you all.......I was posting earlier,  chuckling over some of the banter,  while sewing the gaff on the fore sheet.   I took a picture of it,  and I realized that I had sewn it on backwards!   I had to redo it........LOL!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

awwww,  I really don't pay attention to it much.........I just have fun.   I should have more on this build soon.   here's a good laugh for you all.......I was posting earlier,  chuckling over some of the banter,  while sewing the gaff on the fore sheet.   I took a picture of it,  and I realized that I had sewn it on backwards!   I had to redo it........LOL!

That's the funniest thing I've heard all day.  This forum can get pretty involved.  It's too much fun.    

ya gotta laugh.....the best part is.......it was 100% correctable :)     it started like this.....it began with drilling the holes for the blocks and rigging........after I cut it to length,  of course.

post-612-0-86971800-1368073181_thumb.jpg

when the blocks and the peak halyard line was rigged,  I laid it on the sheet.   I would have taken the picture on my desk,  but you wouldn't see it too good.

post-612-0-32714500-1368073307_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-06987700-1368073331_thumb.jpg

At the bottom of the outer corner,  I attached blocks that I took from the deck.  this is the corner that is furthest from the mast.  note the way the pleats run.........I lashed it on........

post-612-0-66939500-1368073621_thumb.jpg

good thing I used white glue for the end ties.   I quickly undid it and fixed it

post-612-0-11903100-1368073723_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-63314200-1368073733_thumb.jpg

when this dried enough,  it was time to rig it up....throat halyard first

post-612-0-58219000-1368073805_thumb.jpg

then the peak halyard

post-612-0-51796100-1368073843_thumb.jpg

here is a shot of both gaffs

post-612-0-05890500-1368073875_thumb.jpg

see......no harm,  no foul.  I have no problem posting my mistakes.......if one person sees it and learns from it........then I did good by doing it.    glad I made your day Daniel  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

well........I'm glad noone looked in yet.......I can give you a double whammy.   after the fore sheet was in place,  the table isreally starting to look a tangle,  with all the stray ropes lying about.   I try to keep them coiled,  but when I move the ship,  they fall off.   so.......I decided to do the main shrouds,  seeing that the hoops are all done on it. 

post-612-0-11005600-1368078898_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-80892200-1368078919_thumb.jpg

nowI could swear I saw a picture of her with three shrouds on the main mast.   since the main mast has two steps to it,  I decided to go with it.

post-612-0-92277200-1368078931_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-76683000-1368079050_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-73167200-1368079060_thumb.jpg

the first shroud rigged

post-612-0-81549400-1368079139_thumb.jpg

all rigged

post-612-0-16215000-1368079236_thumb.jpg

then I did the port side

post-612-0-19643500-1368079268_thumb.jpg

looks pretty cool to see them on there finally

post-612-0-56213100-1368079317_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-07988700-1368079328_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-93145000-1368079344_thumb.jpg

when I'm done with the fore sheet,  I will tie them and then start tying all the others.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

thank you very much for your good word :)     I was up till 2 in the AM getting these dead eyes done.

thanks Anja..     I have 1 more sail to put on,  then she'll be in full garb.

thanks Keith..    if I didn't fix it,  the sail wouldn't go on correctly.   I'm not a total perfectionist,  but I viewed it as a functionality issue

thanks John..    this was one time,  when multi tasking didn't fare well.   all you can do is laugh ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Love your attitude.  Did I ever tell you about the time I built 2 left wings for a P-51?  I know you can relate to that!

I'll tell you, you can do magic with a kit :)

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

no kidding.......really!    heck......I would have just gone for it and turned it into a biplane!   HAA....HAA   now THAT would have looked cool!

after all.....they laughed at the P-38 and the black widow........made them eat their words!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

I just helped one of the guys cover a black widow.  Not a big one (50") and it's electric.  At least he built it......rare these days.

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Did I ever tell you about the time I built 2 left wings for a P-51? 

:D  :D Never built a model plane before, but I did sew a dress with both arms reaching for the sky...you know...'stick 'em up' style. Hope I don't do something similar on my ship!!

Congratulations Captain Popeye! Sails and rigging are looking wonderful!

Up till 2 in the AM getting these dead eyes done

!!! I would be the one with the 'dead eyes'...not the ship! :D  :P

Sherry

Every goodbye is the birth of a memory...

Current Build: San Felipe

Finished Builds: Mayflower Build Log

Gallery: Mayflower

Congrats Popeye on your promotion........and again, beautiful job on the sails!!

Frank

completed build: Delta River Co. Riverboat     HMAT SUPPLY

USRC "ALERT"

in progress: Red Dragon  (Chinese junk)

hey Augie....that must have been a job and a half....you are correct.....they are rare indeed.

thanks Sherry.........I can remember when I could do all nighters......not so much anymore ;)   thanks for the good word.   when you get to rig a tall ship.....you may have to.......hands up high.....that sort of thing.

hey there Frank.........working on your build yet?   I'm almost ready to go...I'll be on the Goth before you know it ;)    thanks fore the good word.........yea,   captain......didn't notice getting there......I just keep trudging along  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Popeye,

She's looking grand with her finery hanging the breeze.  I'm enjoying watching this build and the fun you're having with it.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

thanks Mark.......it's a neat little kit.   still one more sail to go ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

the fore mast needed the hoops sewn on......around twenty of them.

post-612-0-31656700-1368235598_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-07974200-1368235611_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-11211700-1368235640_thumb.jpg

after they were finished,  the fore shrouds were rigged.  started with the starboard side.

post-612-0-44768000-1368235733_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-71617000-1368235743_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-61023900-1368235799_thumb.jpg

both sets on the starboard side

post-612-0-94780000-1368235834_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-31079000-1368235847_thumb.jpg

the ship was turned around to do the port side

post-612-0-34034900-1368235893_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-23070600-1368235906_thumb.jpg

nice to see them rigged.......now to tie them off,  so I can start to tie off the running rigging.

post-612-0-90164800-1368235988_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-45934200-1368235999_thumb.jpg

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Ahoy Popeye :D

This is truely an amazing build.

Your rigging method is very interesting.  I am sure these pics will be a big help to me later on in my build. I like the rigging minions. I will of course have to add a hanger to mine.  

Thanks for posting them :)

On with the Show.... B) 

J.Pett

“If you're going through hell, keep going” (Winston Churchill)

Current build:  MS Rattlesnake (MS2028)

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/45-model-shipways-rattlesnake-ms2028-scale-164th/

Side Build: HMS Victory: Corel

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/3709-hms-victory-by-jpett-corel-198/?p=104762

On the back burner:  1949 Chris Craft Racer: Dumas

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/939-1949-chris-craft-racer-by-jpett-dumas-kit-no-1702/

Sometime, but not sure when: Frigate Berlin: Corel

http://www.corel-srl.it/pdf/berlin.pdf

Wonderful and lovely job :-)

XXXDAn

To victory and beyond! http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/76-hms-victory-by-dafi-to-victory-and-beyond/

See also our german forum for Sailing Ship Modeling and History: http://www.segelschiffsmodellbau.com/

Finest etch parts for HMS Victory 1:100 (Heller Kit) and other useful bits.

http://dafinismus.de/index_en.html

thanks JP.......feel free to use anything you like.

thanks John,  Andy,  and Daniel.......yepper!  almost there!  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Indeed you are progressing fast!  B)

I think it's the first time I have seen the shrouds done after putting the sails on... I'm curious: does it help having the right tension on the shrouds or is it simpler to rig the sails without the shrouds in the way or... no reason at all?

Padeen (Adeline)

"When there is a will, there is a way"

Completed build: Le Camaret - Constructo - static wood 1:35  (build log, gallery)

Current build (very limited modelling time at the moment...): HMS Fly - Amati/Victory Models - static wood 1:64 (build log)

Projected build: HMS Victory - Chris Watton's design - static wood 1:64 (when available..., no rush!)

Looking good Popeye.  Looks like we go sailing soon.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray