HMS VICTORY by Kevin - FINISHED - Caldercraft - 1/72

lol - i have just seen roughly how wide my build will be with all the stun sails set- makes it almost as wide as long

http://www.jans-sajt.se/contents/Navigation/Modelling/Patterns_Rigg_Stunsails.htm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eCX7a9Ry2tg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zYHbPMZC5CQ

Edited by Kevin

It's amazing how that happens.  And with the rigging to fill out all that empty space she'll become an object of considerable majesty :)

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Hum, not to be an I told you so person....

Way back on page 9 I remember asking about the gunports, post #125. I was wondering then if it was a kit thing and never followed through. Now it seems there is supposed to be ports there. The only reason I bring this up is I remember looking at other Jotika kits and they didn't have those ports either. So was it a kit mistake/omission? Anyway, nice fix. Cutting her must have been quite a nervous endeavour.

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/403-hms-victory-by-kevin-caldercraftjotika-172/page-9

Keith - this shortcut is the link to the prototype build

it also shows a shortage of gun-ports for the bows, i then forgot to rectify it when i found out, i can only presume that the bending of this template to fit would break around the cutout- but it could still have been marked - with a line - never mind, im sure im not the first or last to have the problem

lol it does not take much for people to realize that a 1st rate is not for me - i perhaps should have stuck to the Amerigo Vespucci - as i am not displaying many of the items that make up this fine vessel, and i want to display all set sail, when in fact i doubt she would have ever done so, - well not stuns any way

http://www.jotika-ltd.com/Pages/1024768/Victory_02.htm

all the best - hope you are feeling much better

Edited by Kevin

Kevin,

Don't sell yourself short my friend. You're doing a wonderful job on this build and your willingness to rectify errors, be they yours or the kit manufacturer's, is merely evidence of your high standards.

I agree with Grant, I doubt there is a person out there that takes on the Victory that does not at least once, if not many time question if they bit off more then they could chew. There is so much to building her I can't even image attempting such a build.

The prototype site also shows on page 5 the 4th picture down the forward ports marked, but after several steps and way after the other ports. I wonder the reason for this.

Also back when I recognized them I was comparing to actually Vicky pictures. I remember looking at Gils Vicky also as its a Jotika kit and his was forward portless also. This can be seen on page 4 post 49

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/485-hms-victory-by-gil-middleton-jotika-172/page-4

My main question at that time was that the Vicky had been retro fitted several times in her career and I was questioning if this was something from one of her incarnations.

However the issue occured, It does not diminish the high standard of work, love, time or quality that you've done. I still follow your build and love to see her develop into a magnificent 1st rate ship and reproduction.

"Not for you", I beg to differ and I think there are a host of other builders that would agree, you have proven your self able and capable.

If you always do what you've always done, you'll always have what you've already got. Attempting to stretch and reach for more is what make us better and your in that class. 1st class, just like your ship and build.

Hi Kevin we all been there at times you just have  to keep on going mate.Out of curiosity this is you buld to do as you wish,but in hindsight do you ever think  oh i wish i had left those gun ports open,you done the hardest part the cannons,gunports are a breeze,for what it worth  it would not take long to take em off and redo them open,just a thought is all    DEREK

Kevin

Come on Kevin what's going on here?. I don't think you have taken on to much. . If you have then I definitely have.. You are reaching what I would say is going to be the most enjoyable phase of your build, the masts and rigging, and you have had no probs with your build up to now. I do remember a while a while back I made mistake on my bowsprit, and was informed that it needed altering. Your input was , "that's what I love about MSW mistakes made and possible solutions" I asked Lawrence if he was sure about painting he's gallery's blue and not black, you said "they will be a pain to change" Lawrence changed them to black and was grateful for your input. The build is not to big for you, I would ask one question though, are you sure about the closed gunports, because they will NOT be a pain to change. I look forward to following your progress as I always have. Regards DAVID

Please everyone re read my post 461

lol it does not take much for people to realize that a 1st rate is not for me - i perhaps should have stuck to the Amerigo Vespucci - as i am not displaying many of the items that make up this fine vessel, and i want to display all set sail, when in fact i doubt she would have ever done so, - well not stuns any way

i was refering to having a 1st rate in build, but not displaying all of the teeth to which she is fitted with, lol but full of ideas to fully set all the cloth on the masts, - maybe badly worded though

I AM FAR FROM THROWING THE TOWEL IN, LIKE OTHERS I WISH I HAD MORE TIME TO MAKE BETTER PROGRESS

David  - gun-ports - i have since the last photo closed the fully open one, as it looked a little silly at this time, i have no regrets on the decession to have them all in some form of semi open 

so please be re assured - the build is continuing and i will be full of my little bits of wit and try to ensure the murphy does not come back to hamper my work, thank-you everyone for your concerns

Edited by Kevin

Hi Kevin,

Good fix mate, and enjoy the best bit of the build, rigging, I love it.

With regard to your gun ports, I don't think it was Sjors who filled them in, I would look closer to a similar build from a guy down under. I wouldn't put a bit of espionage past him. :D  :D  :D  :D  

mobbsie

mobbsie
All mistakes are deliberate ( me )

Current Build:- HMS Schooner Pickle

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,
Thames Steam Launch Louise,  Thames Barge Edme,  Viking Dragon Boat

Next Build :-  

Kevin,

Three pictures for you with the Victory with stunsails set.  First is "Victory on the Atlantic Chase"  by Geoff Hunt.  Next is "Victory and Squadron in Light Airs", also by Geoff Hunt (I have this one, signed by the artist).  Last is "Victory- On the Way to Glory" by Tim Thompson.  Geoff Hunt's paintings are remarkable for historical accuracy.  I'm not so sure about Tim Thompson's!

Look at all them stunsails!

Patrick

post-470-0-47228500-1375382304_thumb.jpg

post-470-0-24509800-1375382353_thumb.jpg

post-470-0-07541300-1375382376_thumb.jpg

Kevin,

Three pictures for you with the Victory with stunsails set.  First is "Victory on the Atlantic Chase"  by Geoff Hunt.  Next is "Victory and Squadron in Light Airs", also by Geoff Hunt (I have this one, signed by the artist).  Last is "Victory- On the Way to Glory" by Tim Thompson.  Geoff Hunt's paintings are remarkable for historical accuracy.  I'm not so sure about Tim Thompson's!

Look at all them stunsails!

Patrick

Patrick, thankyou

i have spent quite a bit of time looking for that sort of thing- with out success

look at the width of them now, that must be nearly 2/3 of the length, 

FANTASTIC

Well in that case Kevin, at the risk of overwhelming you, here's a few more Geoff Hunt paintings with lots of stunsails!  Seems that mostly stunsails were set on one side or the other when running downwind, unless the ship had a perfect tail wind in which case they could set them both sides, aloft and alow!

First is the cover artwork from Patrick O'Brian's "The Commodore".  Next is detail from "HMS Agamemnon".  Then "Mediterranean Deployment - USS Decatur leading USS Ontario, 1815".  Finally "The Heavyweight Punch", depicting HMS Victory (100), HMS Temeraire (98) and HMS Neptune (98) approaching the line at Trafalgar.

I love Geoff Hunt's work and attended a lecture he gave in Portsmouth about 10 years ago and got him to sign my three prints of his.  He usually tries to frame his pictures from the viewpoint of someone sitting in a small boat, looking at the ship or ships in the painting. 

Patrick

post-470-0-95358100-1375388003.jpg

post-470-0-51618300-1375388017_thumb.jpg

post-470-0-50182400-1375388232_thumb.jpg

post-470-0-41269500-1375388457_thumb.jpg

Look at these photographs :-)

HMS Marlborough/Göthebourg/Plover with Jibs used as stun´sails :-)

post-182-0-96509100-1375389042.png

post-182-0-66480500-1375389044_thumb.jpg

post-182-0-95646800-1375389045_thumb.jpg

Edited by dafi

To victory and beyond! http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/76-hms-victory-by-dafi-to-victory-and-beyond/

See also our german forum for Sailing Ship Modeling and History: http://www.segelschiffsmodellbau.com/

Finest etch parts for HMS Victory 1:100 (Heller Kit) and other useful bits.

http://dafinismus.de/index_en.html

can someone help please

the main mast lower studding boom is 51' what would this be in 1/72 scale, and is there a conversion chart within MSW 2.0?

it looks like both booms when rigged equal the height of the main mast above the upper deck at about 140'

many thanks

Kevin,

Scale conversion is not a black art. At 1/72 scale, simply divide by 72. If you like to work in inches, your 51ft becomes 51 x 12 / 72 (with your answer being in inches) If you prefer to work in mm, then it becomes 51 x 12 x 25.4 / 72 (with your answer being in mm).

thank-you Grant

i was just looking where the actual mount was for the lower boom as the main mast location is not shown on the plans, where as the foremast is, all my books or reference all show different lengths as well, so a bit of research is still required, 

anyway im looking at 81/2 inches approx each for the booms (subject to actual size)

i have a way ahead

Longridge the lower boom in the main mast is 61'X 12" 61812/72 = 10.1 inches by approx 4mm

the lower boom fore mast is 54'x 101/2"  = 54*12/72 = 9 inches x 3.1mm

the main mast boom fixing point is on the fwd end of the main mast channel, 

stiil working out the fore mast location as the channel is aft of the mast

I I am not mistaken the fore boom is hooked into a ringbolt in between the cathead and the fore channel and is stowed with the spare spars in the waist. Like this you do not interfere the anchors too much.

Much more interested where the downholding tackles were fixed. Ringbolt beside a gunport? Gunport itself?

XXXDAn

To victory and beyond! http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/76-hms-victory-by-dafi-to-victory-and-beyond/

See also our german forum for Sailing Ship Modeling and History: http://www.segelschiffsmodellbau.com/

Dafi - you may have seen this

it seams to cover all the available space, with no definitive answer, im more than happy to stow any spare spars, on the channels,or the skids, 

http://cs.finescale.com/fsm/modeling_subjects/f/7/t/71484.aspx

good afternoon from a wet thundery Somerset

well i have an idea just how big this build is going to get with the stbd lower stun boom now having a home, although it just lifts out to be put away for a year or so

the fore mast lower boom is the next on the production line

all four anchors are also made, just to make up/experiment making the banding around the stock 

i have also remade the stbd cat head after the last Murphy visit - i basicly fitted it at 90 degs to the hull, where as it is angled forward

post-846-0-48167400-1375544465_thumb.jpg

post-846-0-88971400-1375544472_thumb.jpg

post-846-0-62310100-1375544476_thumb.jpg

post-846-0-06089200-1375544481_thumb.jpg

post-846-0-69963500-1375544490_thumb.jpg

What a Grand old Lady. She's gonna be beautiful with all 37 sails filled. I also like the idea of displaying her with her ports cracked open as they would as she croosed the great expanses of sea. The wind coursing,into her sails and throuugh the ports down into the holds. What it must have been like to have been upon her when she was just sailing. The Lady at Rest. 

Beautiful colour on the upper deck, its a nice backdrop for the Anchors.

Wow that Stun boom is out there, the display case will be enormous.  

So how many hours now Kevin, you haven't updated recently, that I've seen.

What a Grand old Lady. She's gonna be beautiful with all 37 sails filled. I also like the idea of displaying her with her ports cracked open as they would as she croosed the great expanses of sea. The wind coursing,into her sails and throuugh the ports down into the holds. What it must have been like to have been upon her when she was just sailing. The Lady at Rest. 

Beautiful colour on the upper deck, its a nice backdrop for the Anchors.

Wow that Stun boom is out there, the display case will be enormous.  

So how many hours now Kevin, you haven't updated recently, that I've seen.

Total build time 895 hours 

Looking great Kevin.  She certainly is going to be big across the girth with all the stunsls set!

Great work as ususal :-)

Just the irons on the anchor stocks are a little thick, try the 0,25 mm x 1 mm Evergreen or even cardboard :-)

Daniel

Great work as ususal :-)

Just the irons on the anchor stocks are a little thick, try the 0,25 mm x 1 mm Evergreen or even cardboard :-)

Daniel

lol - i looked at them this morning as i had not progressed any more on that - and it has gone, miles to big, and out of scale