HMS VICTORY by Kevin - FINISHED - Caldercraft - 1/72

was hoping to show much more work having been progressed today - like having completed at poop - but alas - not to be - never mind there is always another time - did however file down the kit cleats to let them fit in the space available - they seamed far to over sized anyway the bench pin rack for the poop has also been completed - will post some photo's when it actually looks different

all the best Kevin

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

Good morning everyone 

stern area of my build continues, getting an hour or two in where i can

Poop deck, the skylight still requires acetate to be inserted before final fixing

post-846-0-70590900-1372587990_thumb.jpg

Edited by Kevin

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

Rudder

i attached a piece of wood under the rudder so that i had it in the right position

the pins and brackets were easy enough to fit (must learn the correct names) - glued into position before matching to the hull, then was able to marked where the holes required to be drilled in the stern post

coppering will be done son possibly after the British F1 race this afternoon (dont care who wins - so long as it is Lewis Hamilton)

i have moved the plates of the stern post and will not copper the fwd facing edge of the rudder, as it will kill any clearance id have and look to tight, but might change my mind later

all the best

post-846-0-60020600-1372588432_thumb.jpg

post-846-0-77209000-1372588438_thumb.jpg

post-846-0-86053700-1372588440_thumb.jpg

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

Finished     

Great progress Kevin but yes, one question…..you don't copper the rudder?????

And who wins that race? me???? :D  :D  :D

I'm more a guy for the Tour de France…..

animaatjes-sjors-94584.gif

Great progress Kevin but yes, one question…..you don't copper the rudder?????

And who wins that race? me???? :D  :D  :D

I'm more a guy for the Tour de France…..

animaatjes-sjors-94584.gif

i will be coppering the rudder - i feel i get a better result having a dark colour under the plates, for those orrible little gaps that appear after i have gone to bed

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

Finished     

Kevin,

Nice work on the rudder and hardware.  If you don't copper the frontside of it, consider painting it with copper paint.   Hope your guy wins....

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Hi Kevin

Do you not think that hanging 3 boats on the stern will hide a lot of the detail on the stern. But then I can see your point of being able to view the center gun deck, Can not make up my mind, I think that I will wate and have a look at your great build, that should help  me decide.

Regards  Lawrence

i dont think you will see any gun deck details, with every sail set including stuns - and then a display  cabinet - all deck detail could possible at least 12-18 inches away - time will tell - and i may change my mind on how the boats are displayed - i have played with the idea of setting the hull in simulated water and have all boats in line astern - but that might be beyond my capabilities and delaying the finish time, but then again the hull might look better hidden anyway - its not as good as some other's on this site -

all the best

Edited by Kevin

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

Finished     

Hi Kevin,

After doing much research whilst developing a different Victory, I would not put the 34 and 32' carvel-planked boats on any of the stern davits as they would never have been hung there due to their size and weight.

There are even some reservations as to whether Victory had 30' cutters, as some see these as almost too much for the quarter davits, and perhaps 28' or smaller were used. But that is a grey area and there's no hard and fast evidence regarding the size of the extra 2 cutters (When Bulger mentions them, he is only quoting the Navy Board Standing Order, which permitted the use of 8-oared cutters instead of barges)

I think the pinnace and 18 footer are OK, though.

logo.jpg
Vanguard Models on Facebook

Hi Kevin,

After doing much research whilst developing a different Victory, I would not put the 34 and 32' carvel-planked boats on any of the stern davits as they would never have been hung there due to their size and weight.

There are even some reservations as to whether Victory had 30' cutters, as some see these as almost too much for the quarter davits, and perhaps 28' or smaller were used. But that is a grey area and there's no hard and fast evidence regarding the size of the extra 2 cutters (When Bulger mentions them, he is only quoting the Navy Board Standing Order, which permitted the use of 8-oared cutters instead of barges)

I think the pinnace and 18 footer are OK, though.

Thanks Chris 

lol - i will have to change my mind a lot sooner then

but i still dont want them on the waist - i could complete them and have them as part of the display stand

all the best

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

Finished     

I was going to suggest having the boats on the display base. If the Victory I am doing now was my own, that's what I'd do, along perhaps, with two of the anchors also sitting on the base with the hawse rope leading upwards.

I also thought about rigging the pinnace to the quarter davits and have the keel resting on the display base.

So many options - your head could explode! lol

logo.jpg
Vanguard Models on Facebook

One thing I saw, if you have a copy of TFFM IV, in the back colour section, it shows an interesting way of mounting ship's boats. Basically using a clear acrylic rod drilled into the hull horizontally just below the water line. The ship's boat is then mounted to the rod. The boat now appears to be "floating" alongside, with a painter line extended to the ship.

Just a thought....

Andy

Quando Omni Flunkus, Moritati

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

lol another idea was to build a display case now put the build in - seal it up having put some smoke in there  "HMS VICTORY" - "Foggy Day"), then i could stop whinging about all my own work - no one would know it wasnt finished

all the best

Edited by Kevin

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

Finished     

One thing I saw, if you have a copy of TFFM IV, in the back colour section, it shows an interesting way of mounting ship's boats. Basically using a clear acrylic rod drilled into the hull horizontally just below the water line. The ship's boat is then mounted to the rod. The boat now appears to be "floating" alongside, with a painter line extended to the ship.

Just a thought....

Andy

that is certainly a good idea, im sure i have seen it on here somewhere

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

Finished     

Hi Kevin,

Sorry about Lewis the other day, but at least we were spared yet another Vetel win! Your progress is fantastic and your stern galleries and poop deck look really, really good.  So many ways to display the ships boats.  I have always liked the displays with the boats simulated as being towed (possibly secured with a clear acrylic rod as Andy suggests)  Here's a picture of Geoff Hunt's painting of Victory and Temeraire racing to the line at Trafalgar, it shows the boats being towed.  (I have this print at home, got it in Portsmouth during the Patrick O'Brian weekend in 2002 and Mr. Hunt personally signed the back and the certificate for me!)

Patrick

post-470-0-06327700-1372785652_thumb.jpg

Good morning everyone

here is my latest build progress report,-

Nothing

the last few weeks has been quite difficult to do anything, so much is going on - but it is settling down now -  

I am considering becoming a Slimming world consultant but to achieve that i would have to reduce my full time work hours - but that would also give me more home time hours- therefore more build time,  Time is my problem - lol i just dont have enough of it  

anyway - going to the coast today, for a picnic - we both need some time out - LOL the grass and DIY will have to wait

all the best 

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

Finished     

Have a great trip to the shore.  RELAX!

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Hi Kevin,

This weather doesn't come along that often mate, enjoy it while it's here. B)  B) B)  B)  

Temp in my conservatory at the moment is a cool 90 degrees, yesterday it made it to a whopping 100, just to hot. :(  :(

mobbsie

mobbsie
All mistakes are deliberate ( me )

Current Build:- HMS Schooner Pickle

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,
Thames Steam Launch Louise,  Thames Barge Edme,  Viking Dragon Boat

Next Build :-  

Dang - sounds like you and Mobbsie are in England, Arkansas instead of England, U.K.  98 degrees here yesterday...sucks the energy right out of you!

Wayne

Neither should a ship rely on one small anchor, nor should life rest on a single hope.
Epictetus

good afternoon everyone

Progress - i actualy managed some build today

Rudder

as discussed in my last post i have not coppered the leading edge of the rudder or the trailing edge of the sternpost, but i have removed the hinges as they were getting in the way

i have inserted 3 pins to strengthen the structure when it is finally fixed, should prevent any potential knock off

post-846-0-61557000-1373210824_thumb.jpg

post-846-0-83722200-1373210827_thumb.jpg

post-846-0-25777600-1373210833_thumb.jpg

post-846-0-35334500-1373210838_thumb.jpg

post-846-0-87635300-1373210842_thumb.jpg

post-846-0-46159100-1373210847_thumb.jpg

post-846-0-63152800-1373210851_thumb.jpg

post-846-0-41654200-1373210856_thumb.jpg

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

Finished     

Really looking fine.  Almost appears as if she's anchored off some South Sea Island.

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

thank you everyone for the remarks, she looks much better in real day light, i miss having put a new into window in the garage, but as it is insulated, it does stay at a fairly comfortable temp inside, 

Edited by Kevin

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

Finished     

Impressive as always...

Maybe I had missed the explanation about it; on the transom, there is a figure of a man at the starboard side, will be placed its mirror image on the port side?

Edited by ashiponthehorizon

Best Regards…

Ferit KUTLU

Under construction: Frigate Berlin (Brandenburg Navy)

Hope: Frigate Wappen Von Hamburg (Brandenburg Navy)

Impressive as always...

Maybe I had missed the explanation about it; on the transom, there is a figure of a man at the starboard side, will be placed its mirror image on the port side?

yes i have missed it off deliberately, it is finished and pained and just needs to be attached, but there is a lot more to be done - to tidy it all up, so i leave bits off to remind myself that i need to spend more time in that area - silly i know - thats me all over

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

Finished     

Sweet, Kevin.  Looks just perfect, both the garden and the ship.  On the ship's boats, do some Googling.  I think Hahn did some of that.  As I recall, a bunch of the builders of Chuck's longboat use long rods for display.  Puts it right up there in the air.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)