HMS VICTORY by Kevin - FINISHED - Caldercraft - 1/72

No mark, she is not masted, i have part of the mizzen mast in place, so that i can set up the 1/4 deck boat davits, the main mast dowel, is there's because i keep dropping things in the hole, and it is always bits i didnt want to loose

Sorry.. I saw wood sticking up in the air...  :)

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Beautiful ship Kevin, nice job

John

Current Current Builds:

US Brig Niagara on my website

FINISHED BUILD LOGS:

New Bedford Whaleboat - page on my Morgan Website:  http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com/whaleboat-build-log-by-john-fleming.html

C.W. Morgan - Model Shipways 1:64 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1785-cw-morgan-by-texxn5-johnf-ms-164-kit/

USS Constitution - Revell 1:96 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1796-uss-constitution-by-texxn5-johnf-revell-196-kit/

website US Brig Niagara Model http://www.niagaramodel.com

website Charles W Morgan Model http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com

website PROXXON DISCOUNT TOOL STORE http://proxxontoolsdiscount.com

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Kevin,

Just caught up with your latest pictures outside.  She looks absolutely stunning and the natural light pictures really make her look alive and vibrant.  Glad to see you're starting on the masts and I'll follow her masting with great interest.

Patrick

good evening everyone

i had the perfect opportunity to do lots on the build this weekend, and never took the advantage, oh hum

but i have managed to continue with the the gun port rigging, the lines are not glued into the hull yet in case i decide i can do better and replace the lot, as Gils seam far tidier 

and lol anyone got any idea what square area i should allow for all the 30+ sails, including stuns

all the best

post-846-0-43570500-1379264647_thumb.jpg

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

as i am setting every sail including stuns, i was looking at the required area of calico required- i just now need to convert that - thankyou

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

Kevin,

I posted this on the question thread you started and also sent it to you in a privtae message.  So here it goes again.

6,510 square yards of sail

Square root of 6,510 square yards = 80.684 yards (This would be one side of a perfect square of sailcloth 6,510 square yards)

80.684 yards x 3 = 242 feet

242 feet @ 1/72 scale = 3.361 feet (This would be one side of the piece of calico you need)

3.361 squared = 11.296 square feet of calico

I'm not a mathematician, but it seems about right to me.

Patrick

Hello Kevin

Sorry to hear things didn't work out for you as planned. Its OK to be grumpy, I know I am often as things aren't as I would like, but I've found that life has a way of giving us what we want and need. It just doesn't always seem that way at the time. So many times in my life when one thing fell through, another better situation presented itself. Even with my disablity I have found positives, which wouldn't have occurred otherwise.

Don't worry, we'll all be here waiting for updates eagerly as always.

947 total hours build time

Guess what, - nah you will never guess, i will just have to tell you

I did some of my build tonight, yep got a whole 90 mins on her, that's the weaning off from playing EVE taking effect

she now has two catheads fitted, as i spend some time getting the bow to look the same from both side, im well pleased

roll on tomorrow

Edited by Kevin

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

Finished     

You're right - I never would have guessed!  Look forward to the next updates (even without pictures, though "you know who" might be a tad testy!).

I can only imagine the size of this beastie once you have her fully rigged with stuns'ls...are you contemplating an addition to the house perhaps?  :D :D :P :P :)

Wayne

Neither should a ship rely on one small anchor, nor should life rest on a single hope.
Epictetus

You know, if you move the table a bit to the left...

Suspend the TV from the ceiling....

Get rid of the book case and stuff all the books on the window ledge...

You'd be halfway to creating enough space for a certain 1:64 Vic.... :P

Quando Omni Flunkus, Moritati

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

lol 

Andy you are such a tease, 

i can fit the Victory in that position between the door and window, in the diorama set up, there will be no 1/64 Victory, unless Chris Watton gives me the Amati completed one, and i will trash mine, my other builds like the Amerigo Vesspucci (hull) only and my 1/24 Section (when started) will perhaps go into my shipyard

all the best

You know, if you move the table a bit to the left...
Suspend the TV from the ceiling....
Get rid of the book case and stuff all the books on the window ledge...

You'd be halfway to creating enough space for a certain 1:64 Vic.... :P

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

Finished     

Hi Kevin

It looks like I started some thing when I ask you where you are going to display your Victory with full sail and stuns. Sorry about that and that I did not cause you to much grief. Enjoy.

Regards   Lawrence

lol

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

Finished     

Good afternoon everyone

the bow continues, and boomkins are made up and pinned to the knight heads, although just pinned, i have a problem with the bowspit wrt to fact that it is offset towards port, so it all looks a little squiffy at present

post-846-0-41638800-1379867253_thumb.jpg

post-846-0-50570400-1379867257_thumb.jpg

post-846-0-27823200-1379867261_thumb.jpg

post-846-0-79782500-1379867264_thumb.jpg

post-846-0-61565500-1379867268_thumb.jpg

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

Finished     

Nice looking bow all around.  You'll handle that 'sprit!

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Good afternoon everyone

After a few days away, im back, work on the bow area continues, although, im still unsure if the bowspit looks right, time will tell, its the 1st coat of paint, so quite a lot more sanding and repaints required

post-846-0-58778300-1380549242_thumb.jpg

post-846-0-53363400-1380549247_thumb.jpg

post-846-0-59833100-1380549265_thumb.jpg

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

Finished     

Bowsprit looks fine, Kevin.

i may have made it to short , the bands are in the right place according to the plans, but when compared to others builds they seam to near to the mariners walk supports, i have had to adapt it (well made in shorter as i am unable to push it all the way into the recess, so the ,easurments i have are from the end of the dowel, its no big deal if i have to remake - , it has to be right

so if the bands are out so will the stops for the gammoning

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

Finished     

Hello

Great looking build, I especially admire the clean and smooth look of the paintjob.

Are there any secrets to your painting results that you would like to share before I start slabbing at my own Victory :-))

Erik

Hello

Great looking build, I especially admire the clean and smooth look of the paintjob.

Are there any secrets to your painting results that you would like to share before I start slabbing at my own Victory :-))

Erik

thank you for your comments

i use tamiya tape, as it does not bleed, and most of the hull has had at least 4 coats of watered down Admiralty paints, and i am always touching up in places as i go along, black banding is Mattt black Car spray, and for any touch up required there i spray a little into a plastic container and brush it on whilst still wet, 

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

Finished     

Good afternoon everyone

Got some progress done on my build today, the bow work continues, - all the gun port lids are rigged on the port side, and the head timbers are looking a lot tidier tonight,  I have still to put a set door on the very forward middle gun deck opening, she always looks a lot nicer in daylight, than my man shed, of which I am going to put a window in possibly in the next couple of weeks

Also I sent a bit of time cleaning some of the tiles, with fresh brasso, and as a result, I have managed to clear a lot much surplus glue from the tiles, I am well happy

post-846-0-83290400-1381071396_thumb.jpg

post-846-0-10900400-1381071404_thumb.jpg

post-846-0-00806200-1381071418_thumb.jpg

post-846-0-16849000-1381071425_thumb.jpg

post-846-0-00866400-1381071430_thumb.jpg

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

Finished     

Wow.  Looking VERY nice.  You really have those plates glistening.  And every time I see it, I fall in love with the blue on the beakhead and roundhouses.

SPECTACULAR!

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

You've gotta love photos taken outside in the sun! ;)

Very nice :)

Andy its a great way of making my build look semi decent,

Hi Kev, excellent tip about using Brasso to clean the glue off the tiles I must get a case or two.(My tiles are very gluee)

Very simple,I wish I'd thought of it. It's so good watching your Vic' come together

Tony

Tony when i tiled the build last year the intentions were to clean it once again after the build was completed and not before, but at that time i thought i would be nearing the end of it by now. i never  managed to remove all the surplus glue last time round, but the liquid brasso is working quite well on  it it now, much better than the wadding did, its still takes a lot of work though

Wow.  Looking VERY nice.  You really have those plates glistening.  And every time I see it, I fall in love with the blue on the beakhead and roundhouses.

SPECTACULAR!

Thankyou Augie

That looks awesome Kevin,

You are doing her pride !

animaatjes-sjors-94584.gif

thank you my friend

Edited by Kevin

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

Finished