HMS VICTORY by Kevin - FINISHED - Caldercraft - 1/72

Kevin,

Even the night shot looks great.   Very clean work.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Kevin,

Beautiful craftsmanship. A super nice build.

R/ Michael

Michael

Current buildSovereign of the Seas 1/78 Sergal

Under the table:

Golden Hind - C Mamoli    Oseberg - Billings 720 - Drakkar - Amati

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Santisima Trinidad cross section OcCre 1/90th

Gallery :    Santa Maria - Vasa

can you share a photo of the jig and process used for your gunports?  At that point now on the Vanguard.  Thanks.

Regards,

Glenn

Current Build: HMS Winchelsea
Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose

can you share a photo of the jig and process used for your gunports?  At that point now on the Vanguard.  Thanks.

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/485-hms-victory-by-gil-middleton-jotika-172/page-2

i have pointed you towards the build log that i am following of Gil, there are others on this site though,

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

Thanks - While I understand the jig's construction, I'm still a little unclear on how to consistently get the 1mm set in from the hull.  But I appreciate your's and Gil's help.

Regards,

Glenn

Current Build: HMS Winchelsea
Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose

sorry the post i was referring to was lost in MSW 2.0 rebuild, as with all the other convo about this subject

i have borrowed this poto from canoe21 build

i used the process where the lining piece is held between the handle and a piece of wood  that when inserted through the hull and turned will position it 1mm from the external side

this photo is slightly different one long handle and one peice at the required deph with a spike to hold the lining in place so thet it does not drop into the hull

post-302-0-00845700-1369249957_thumb.jpg

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

hope this explains it a little better the mico bubble is just to ensure that it goes in straight, we have had good result in using this process,

Of course the alternative would be to put the lining in flrst flush to the external side of the hull and  then apply the 2nd planking, but i tried that, and did not work for me

post-846-0-97930200-1381560969_thumb.jpg

Edited by Kevin

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

Finished     

I tried putting in the linings flush with the first planking before doing the second planking too.  Looked fantastic until I realised it was just about impossible to make the cuts accurately in the second planking and ripped all the linings out!  I would be well on the way to completing my hull if it wasn't for ripping things out and doing them again!

Patrick

post-470-0-19646800-1381604300_thumb.jpg

post-470-0-02835300-1381604341_thumb.jpg

I tried putting in the linings flush with the first planking before doing the second planking too.  Looked fantastic until I realised it was just about impossible to make the cuts accurately in the second planking and ripped all the linings out!  I would be well on the way to completing my hull if it wasn't for ripping things out and doing them again!

Patrick

lol - i was advised against doing it and still went ahead, came back sobbing after about 30 hours, and did it the way that work for everyone else, that was 18 months ago now 

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

Finished     

i learnt another MSW lesson today, whilst reading logs, i accidentally selected the Mark forum as read button (the big blue one), so now it looks like i am up to date with everyone's logs, ooooops , how i have to try and remember where i was on the 100 or so i am presently following - dam

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

Finished     

On the other hand, you're stating with a clean slate, so you'll know if you've missed something in the future.

Andy

lol but i missed 20 pages of Sjors rigging

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

Finished     

Good evening everyone

it looks like i am going to put the Victory on hold for a while, im not bored with her or any thing like that, but i fancy a change for a while, and it is not a scratch build either, i don't think my skills are good enough just yet, and i certainly dont seam to get enough time to concentrate on learning all the new skills needed.

i have made the decision to go completely the other way, and build the Trumpeter 1/200 Bismark, and hope to have it in the workshop in the next week or so, Please do not banish me from MSW, lol if you do - i will have no one to talk to other than the wife, i know there is one other at the same scale and two larger, and alll look great builds, i would like to share this with you, any one interested?

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

Finished     

Hi Kevin, not sure if you are following my build but thanks for the picture advice. I think I have it figured out but what size did you resize the pictures too.

I know you are a long way ahead, very nice build I might add, would you mind if I have you as a resource for I think I am a little over my head.

Cheers,

Eric. C

thank you everyone for the comments

the intention is to obtain the full PE upgrade kit as a complete set, even though i believe it is more expensive than the kit price (or at ;least about the same) i am still waiting for feedback and prices for supporting UK hobby shop prices before i jump onto obtaining stock from abroad- lol it's the postage that takes a good deal, into one that does not appear to be quite so good

the Victory is safe and secure, and i feel very guilty about setting her aside, but thats all i am doing, 

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

Finished     

Hi Kevin, not sure if you are following my build but thanks for the picture advice. I think I have it figured out but what size did you resize the pictures too.

I know you are a long way ahead, very nice build I might add, would you mind if I have you as a resource for I think I am a little over my head.

Cheers,

Eric. C

Eric 

i resize my photo's to 1024x683 (thats a default size within the photo package), i have many photo's of the build process just ask, i will still be following all the logs,

Have you had a look at some of the other builds on here - lots of them now 

Edited by Kevin

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

Finished     

Always sad if such a nice building report is set aside and I hope that the sweet lady will not lay for thirteen years in ordinary like the original as yours became a real piece of art under your skilled hands!

But also I am very keen in seeing your treatment on the other beast :-)

Please show and tell and here!

XXXDAniel

To victory and beyond! http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/76-hms-victory-by-dafi-to-victory-and-beyond/

See also our german forum for Sailing Ship Modeling and History: http://www.segelschiffsmodellbau.com/

Finest etch parts for HMS Victory 1:100 (Heller Kit) and other useful bits.

http://dafinismus.de/index_en.html

Always sad if such a nice building report is set aside and I hope that the sweet lady will not lay for thirteen years in ordinary like the original as yours became a real piece of art under your skilled hands!

But also I am very keen in seeing your treatment on the other beast :-)

Please show and tell and here!

XXXDAniel

thank you

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

Finished     

Hello

I have had a look at that Bismarck kit aswell but, time, money, space and a few other things stands in my way. Looking forward to a log on the kit. With your skills it will be a masterpiece I´m sure.

Best of luck

Erik

Best of luck my friend. The log will be missed.

Mort

Current Build - Caldercraft Victory

Completed - Artesiana Latina Swift, Harvey, MGS Prince de Neufchatel, Imai USS Susquehanna, Mamoli Constitution, Rattlesnake per Hunt Practium, Caldercraft Snake, Diana, Kammerlander Duke William 

Waiting to be Launched -  Bluejacket Constitution

Proud member of The New Jersey Ship Model Society