HMS VICTORY by Kevin - FINISHED - Caldercraft - 1/72

Looks great Kevin. 

I don't know if you have the Haynes Victory book but on the plan of the deck it shows that the stern davits are quite a bit thinner than the cat heads and only have 2 slots instead of 3 - so it looks to me like 3mm might be spot on

Looks great Kevin. 

I don't know if you have the Haynes Victory book but on the plan of the deck it shows that the stern davits are quite a bit thinner than the cat heads and only have 2 slots instead of 3 - so it looks to me like 3mm might be spot on

thanks Yon, no i have not got a copy of that

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

brilliant thank-you, please don't remove

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

so for scale it looks like they are about as long (extending past the stern panel) as the roof of the 1/4 gallery

Edited by Kevin

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

Finished     

Total build time 835 hours

Good evening

Early enjoyed today, and even though I winged about my painting standards, - so be it, the rest of the build is nothing special either

Stern Davits, I was posted a copy of a scan from Haynes Victory manual, so im fairly confident the dimensions of my rig is in the right ball park, I will fair these off so that they finish over the ¼ gallery, but for now they can be put away as they are a bit of a hazard

The stbd gallery is nearly complete well – the lower windows – upwards are, just to tidy any paintwork up, and I can then get on with the other side

All the best

Kevin

post-846-0-67955100-1369513487_thumb.jpg

post-846-0-66036100-1369513491_thumb.jpg

post-846-0-70636800-1369513494_thumb.jpg

post-846-0-11207900-1369513498_thumb.jpg

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

Finished     

Kevin,

You are missing a few planks on the little boat….you know that?

Nice thought to build those davits…..

animaatjes-sjors-94584.gif

its so it does not fill up with water

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

Finished     

I think you are vastly underestimating your build.

I even like the 'self bailing' longboat.

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Kevin,

I stand with John on your underestimation. The sternwork is great!  The cutter is a bit worse for wear but hey... tell people it was left over from the previous war. ;)

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

a little bit off topic, but i have recently been given a lot of my old photos, been stored away for safe keeping - (after divorce)

Both HMS Odin in the early 1980's, for me those were the good days of the Royal Navy, when we had a purpose and some ships to do it with (not going political)

post-846-0-88064500-1369588643_thumb.jpg

post-846-0-41958700-1369588649_thumb.jpg

Edited by Kevin

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

Finished     

Kevin - given the amazing job you have done with the stern I can understand why you spend so much time gazing at it! Very nice work!

Wayne

Neither should a ship rely on one small anchor, nor should life rest on a single hope.
Epictetus

Good afternoon from Somerset on a chilly bank holiday Monday

managed a good few hours this weekend, but still find myself working around the stern area, the window sill are in and look better than the brass profile as directed by the manual

port side windows are fitted, also without glazing, at least both side are the without it, 

will try and do some more later on today, but for now i have my treadmill wanting to take me 5KM,

all the best

post-846-0-95362500-1369659838_thumb.jpg

post-846-0-69131400-1369659851_thumb.jpg

post-846-0-01484100-1369659855_thumb.jpg

post-846-0-90683100-1369659861_thumb.jpg

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

Finished     

Good evening everyone

Managed another 4 hours on the build today, still working on the stern, stern davits are now in place, slight further forward over the ¼ gallery than one of the photo I have seen, simply made by sandwiching a piece of decking in-between 2x3mm with an end cap and a hole through the side

The window sills are looking better, with just a little bit of tidying up to do

Another couple of hours and I will have done what I can for now and progress towards the pointy bit at the front, the rudder and gun ports will wait for next time around

post-846-0-44990900-1370120519_thumb.jpg

post-846-0-07312700-1370120523_thumb.jpg

post-846-0-95363700-1370120525_thumb.jpg

post-846-0-24388200-1370120529_thumb.jpg

Edited by Kevin

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

Finished     

Kevin,

Great work on the stern davits and the model is looking great.

Looking at the photos of you in the 80's. I have to ask if the Royal Navy was short of Barbers in those days. ;)

David

on those things - everything was in short supply - especially fresh water - apart from maybe watching the most essential bits once a week (using cold salt water) we used to stink - brilliant times

the showers - which i never saw being used one in 8 years - were just a beer stowage

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

Finished     

I feel your pain Kevin... I can't seem to find the time either.... to get into the build I need to get INTO it... not just slip into the shipyard and give it 10 minutes... so other stuff wins for today... like sunshine, exercise and posting to MSW :)

It makes it all the more special when I can carve out an hour or two

NIce deck, Kevin.  Did you caulk and treenail it?  Good practice for the model, you know.  <ducks><runs>

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Deck looks great. We are all in the summer 'doldrums' with our builds!

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

It's almost a ship!  Well, at least it's the right material, wood.  It has a railing from wood and from what I can determine it must be the poop deck  :D

I feel your pain Kevin.  Same here, mow the lawn.  Pull weeds.  Mow the lawn again and pull more weeds  :(  :(  Rainy season in Florida, you can actually see the grass grow and weeds, weeds, weeds everywhere. Aaaarch   :wacko:

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

Nice deck Kevin, but that skinny guy in the photo needs to buy some new clothes that actually fit him - he's almost swimming in that T-shirt! :P

And what is it with all you Northern Hemisphere folk anyway? Seems like just a couple of weeks ago you were all complaining about snow and blizzards.  Now you're all complaining that summer is keeping you from your shipyards.  Anybody spot the common feature here?   :D :D :D