Pride of Baltimore 2 by Bill Hime - Model Shipways - 1:64 scale

Jcoby,

Thanks again my friend. Your ability to convey what you have already experienced is invaluable ;)!

Alistair,

This build will be a celebration of the wood, so no paint for sure :)

Jason,

I've actually used a similar process in doing buildups on detailed coffered ceiling work. That seems like a sound application for wales as well. :)

I love the fact there is often more than one solution to many aspects of ship building. I think I would like to start with thicker wales and work to them with both layers. I can treat each layer like the finished layer, kind of like building 2 ships at once...double the experience!!!

My wales are going to be ebonized pear, assuming my process takes as well as I think it will. I'll detail that here as well in the paint/wood section.

Warm Regards to all!

Bill

Passion is Patience...and I am a carpenter in any scale.

Current build;  Endurance - 1:70 scale, Occre

Current build;    H.M.S. Surprise - 1796, 1:48 A L

Bill, very nice work on this kit, and I'm watching with interest, as I was given a really nice sale offer for this kit, so of course, having no self control at all, I bought it.  I'm starting to accumulate a pile of 'future' builds already!

• 8 months later...

Mumble mumble mumble....It seems all I do is reopen this shipyard...Well, I best get busy. Won't be long and people are gonna be ask'n to see this and see that.

Hello everyone!

Bill :)

• 9 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Hello to everyone!

Well my almost annual reopening of the C.W. Hime Shipyard is here once again. So after spending the winter and spring renovating our new property, including a cabin next to the house that we have turned into my cabinet/furniture shop, space was made for the shipyard in the shop.

I'll post some pics of the new space very soon.

I also retired from healthcare after 25 years this past February to pursue carpentry full time once again. Business started out with a bang, but herwe recent I'm finding we have no work on the books.

So what a great time to get the shipyard open as the Wisconsin winter will be soon to follow.

With that said, back to the Baltimore II;

I'm changing this from a kit to a scratch build, scaling my plans from 1:64th to 1:48 scale. I will be using Maple and Basswood for the structure and Redheart and Yellowheart and Holly For blanking and decking. I will be incorporating some Ebony, brass and copper parts for highlights.

I'm also starting a log for my scratch build of the USS Constitution half hull diorama. 

So I know I've come and gone, for now life is affording me the time to be here, with all of you, doing what we love together.

Sincere Regards,

Bill

Great to see you back in action Bill .. !  

Don't forget to give us a quick heads up when your Connie build log is up and running so we can shift over there and follow along  :D

All The Best

Eamonn

Current Build   :  HM Schooner Ballahoo

In the Pipeline :  HM Cutter Sherbourne, HM Mortar Convulsion, Emma C Berry & C18th English Longboat.. Eventually That Is..🙄

Jcoby - Hello my friend! POB II will be larger for sure. I have not decided if she'll be fully masted yet or not. Want to treat her like a fine jewelry box, celebrating the schooner lines and deck with exotic woods and metal details :)

Eamonn - Thank you my friend! I will be starting a log for Connie very soon. I'm suspecting at 10' in length she will be with me for sometime ;)

Grant - My dear friend, you've always been so supportive, thank you. The game has commenced :)

Bill 

I guess question to the moderators...Should this log be moved to the "scratch build" section? There will be a great deal of posting about re scaling what was a kit into a scratch build by resizing the plans and material list from 1:64th to 1:48th scale.

Bill 

So I will be spending the weekend furthering  the new shipyard along. I have built a separate office/shipyard closed off from the main cabinet shop for obvious reasons...DUST!

I plan on going to Kinko's this weekend to resize the POB II plans from 1:64th scale to 1:48th scale. I know line thickness might be an issue but I'm going to keep this simple... if the line is 3/16th" thick then reason would be that the middle or center 1/16th would be the most reasonable.

I will be using one of the online scale calculators to resize my material's list.

The following list of materials will be the features for this build;

Bulkheads, filler blocks  will be Hard Maple and Basswood.

Deck; Holly and Yellowheart

Planking: Redheart

Finer details wil be Ebony. Walnut, and brass/copper fittings

Planking treenails will be  copper and brass pins

Wow it's getting late here..2:20 AM Central time.

Good Night!

Bill

Bill,

Since you are basically going to be starting all over again, I would start a new log in the scratch section and add a link to the new log in this thread.

Cheers,

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Hawker Hurricane

Thank you Chris. I will do exactly that!  

Now I could use a little guidance on how to create a link....:)

Bill

Easy to do, Bill.

First, use your mouse to highlight the URL of the topic you want to link to, then right-click and select 'copy'. When you compose the post you want to add the link to, highlight the text in which you will embed the link and then click the link button in the tool bar (it has an image of a chain link with a little green circle with a plus sign); a small pop-up box will appear. Right-click in the URL line and select 'paste' to add your desired URL. Last, click the OK button in the lower right of the window. That's all there is to it.

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Hawker Hurricane

It's great to see you back, Bill.   I'll be patient and wait for your scratch log to show up.  :)

<taps foot><looks at watch>  Is it up yet????  :o  :rolleyes:

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

I started a new log in the scratch build section. So come see me there!

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/14296-pride-of-baltimore-ii-by-bill-hime-scale-148-embellished-version/

Bill