SS Stadacona by realworkingsailor - Sylvan Scale Models - 1:87 - Resin/Multimedia - kit-bash

So as I said previously, the new year would find me busy drafting the unloading boom. Before the holidays, I had started some preliminary sketch work. Working as best I could from photographs, trying to figure out the basic construction and arrangements. I've just got a few sketches so far, none of them to scale. These will form my basic references for later scale drawings. There is still a lot of fine tuning and revisions to be done.... and more photgraphs to study. One of the bigger challenges is figuring out the boom belt drive pulley/tensionner arrangement.

Anyway.... that's about where things stand at the moment... all pencil work for the time being. When I get bored... I guess I could work on finishing the hull too.... that might help things a bit as well... ;)

Andy

post-34-0-44432600-1388676556_thumb.jpg

post-34-0-68904400-1388676564_thumb.jpg

post-34-0-10353700-1388676584_thumb.jpg

Quando Omni Flunkus, Moritati

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

YOUR HOME ANDY!!!!!!    hooray!!!!!!!!!   I thought it was looking like we needed to send out three countries to save you too! :D :D :D

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Just to keep everyone informed of the slow pace of construction.

Still working some things out on the unloading boom, so in the mean time I've been doing some detailing of the loop belt casing.

The top section had all it's framework on the outside. As this section was basically a large hopper where the loop belt discharged, having framework inside would have hampered the flow of cargo.

There is a catwalk all the way around the outside. I've used some aluminium mesh, but I think I'm going to replace it with brass mess, as the aluminium is a bit too soft and buckles too easily during handling. I've also made the chain drive covers. Their final position will be dictated by the drive motor and upper platform, yet to be built/installed. Modern belt drive is done with hydraulic "soft start" torque converters, rather than chain drives. Much less maintenance, and far fewer moving parts.

So work continues on.

Andy

post-34-0-69204800-1389109181_thumb.jpg

post-34-0-14223600-1389109193_thumb.jpg

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

The seaway is most assuredly closed for the season. ;)

I chose my photographic angles carefully, that and with a soft focus on a mesh surface... So it may not be as visible to everyone, but the catwalk is quite wavy.... And really starting to bug me....

Andy

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

Carrying on work on the loop belt casing.

Went to work on the boom feed hopper. A fun little bit of architecture.

You can see in the second photo just how bad the aluminium mesh really is. It's just too soft to be used in this way. Not that I really need and excuse to head down to the hobby shop today.... :rolleyes:

The bottom of the hopper has a rotating chute that feeds the boom belt. I have to have a close look at contemporary examples to see how this arrangement allowed for the change of the boom belt angle as the boom was topped up or down. Nowadays it's a complex goose neck arrangement that does away with the chute altogether.

Anyway, everything is pictured in situ. A nice summary of progress to date.

Andy

post-34-0-60373500-1389194264_thumb.jpg

post-34-0-99422900-1389194272_thumb.jpg

post-34-0-59349100-1389194282_thumb.jpg

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

She's really coming along nicely Andy! My husband is quite impressed with your work on the hull and old style boom feed hopper, which he worked on and remembers quite well from his days in the shipyard. 

Sherry

Every goodbye is the birth of a memory...

Current Build: San Felipe

Finished Builds: Mayflower Build Log

Gallery: Mayflower

Sorry about the aluminum mesh but you'll work it out.  Seeing this equipment come together is fascinating for someone like me who never was aboard one of these workhorses.  And your explanations really fill out the bill.

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

now that I see the second picture of the mesh......I see what your saying.  can you press it in your fingers or something?   hope you can fix it......it really looks good!   your doing a super job with the boom.......the whole apparatus looks sweet!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

Daniel and Sherry, glad to have those kinds of responses from you. Nice to know I've hit the nail on the head and created something immediately recognizable to anyone who's worked in the industry. :)

Augie and Popeye, I've ordered to better brass mesh to replace the aluminium mush (yes I meant to spell it that way). No big deal really, I needed to order some other detail parts at the same time anyway.

Andy

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

A few days and some more progress...

Finally started work on the unloading boom. A very large structure fabricated all out of angle iron (or in my case styrene angle stock of varying sizes). Drawing this thing out proved the easier of the two steps. Working from photorgaphs I was able to figure out approximate ratios and based on a length that appeared visually correct on the model, I could get something that looked right. Now it is simply (hah!) a matter of cutting, measuring and glueing parts based on my drawing....... this may take a while............

Andy

post-34-0-28760500-1389544836_thumb.jpg

post-34-0-86847600-1389544867_thumb.jpg

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

Andy   nice work sometimes the styrene is nice to work with and a bit more forgiving than wood, the mesh should look good.

Ray

Current build A set of HMS Diana`s boats @ 1/48

HMS Royal Marine a Military class Trawler

Completed  HMS Diana

Completed build The Lady Nelson

Completed Build HMS Pegasus

Thanks John and Ray, it might be a couple more weeks before my mesh shows up.

Carrying on with work on the boom. I've now completed the starboard truss (short a a couple small finishing touches here and there). And what a lot of fun that was. Incidentally, that is a 12" ruler below it in the photgraphs. Now to replicate it as an exact mirror image for the port side.

Andy

post-34-0-48192100-1389725201_thumb.jpg

post-34-0-31531200-1389725211_thumb.jpg

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

Andy:

The boom looks great!

I was going to suggest that you cut duplicate parts for each piece for the other side when you fit the first side but I got busy with a restoration customer and forgot to post.  I always find it helpful to do this when I am building paired pieces.  It's always easier - in my opinion - to cut duplicate parts and assemble the twin pieces at the same time.  Cutting duplicate parts means not  having to measure the first piece to duplicate it later and doing the assembly of the two parts sequentially avoids forgetting which part went on first or something else that can turn out to be a problem later.

This will be a great model when completed.

Take care,

Kurt

Kurt Van Dahm

Director

NAUTICAL RESEARCH GUILD

www.thenrg.org

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS

CLUBS

Nautical Research & Model Ship Society of Chicago

Midwest Model Shipwrights

North Shore Deadeyes

The Society of Model Shipwrights

Butch O'Hare - IPMS

Kurt, I know what you mean, and that would work if the boom was constructed of flat stock, and was symmetrical about the peak of the truss. Unfortunately it's not symmetrical and is constructed of angle stock, so the correct orientation of the angle flange would make cutting double parts a bit more challenging.

All the same, thanks for looking in and the kind words.

Andy

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

Great work.  You are a very talented industrial modeler.  Makes me long for when I was an engineering student before the days of 3D printers.

Current Builds:  Revell 1:96 Thermopylae Restoration

Revell 1:96 Constitution COMPLETED

Aeropiccola HMS Endeavor IN ORDINARY

Planned Builds: Scientific Sea Witch

Marine Models USF Essex

god how time flys, i cannot believe i have been missing this build, i seam to be involved in so many things at present

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

Looking good! And recognizable not only to those of you in the industry, but also by those of us who have waited at the bridges crossing the Welland Canal. And waited….and waited, as the ship slowly slid past us.

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

Thanks everyone! I really appreciate all the kind remarks.

Kevin, no worries, we all get caught in our own versions of stupid reality from time to time. ;)

John, from the point of view of the "sections" of the kit hull, it takes up about half the model, not too far off the real thing.

Druxy, you're obviously not one of those who would pull a U-turn upon seeing the flashing red lights at the end of the bridge are you :P;)

And a big thank you anyone and everyone else who's stumbled by for a quick look. :)

Andy

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

is this the same type Andy kind of looks it

appeared as a scratch build in one of my facebook sites

1044899_10201293000876102_1631257965_n.j

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

Not too far off, Kevin. A couple of differences though, she's what we'd call a "flat back" - no self unloading gear. And she's also got single panel steel hatch covers, unlike mine which has telescopic covers. You can tell that by the hatch crane (iron deckhand) sitting just aft the foreward house.

Andy

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

I'll bet you've made a bridge or two in your day..........really nice work!   it's going to look super when it all comes together  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Still slowly working away. The second boom truss is proving a bit more tedious than the first as I have to triple check all measurements against each other as well as the completed side. When I get closer to completing the second truss I'll post some photos.

Andy

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

Still working away and making slow progress. But, the finish line for this stage is in sight. Of course, this is only the end of the beginning.... there's a ton more truss work that must be done.... oh joy....

Andy

post-34-0-95620400-1390242971_thumb.jpg

post-34-0-11879000-1390242983_thumb.jpg

Current Build:

USF Confederacy