Vasa by Ulises Victoria - FINISHED - Corel - Scale 1: 75 - Royal Ship

Awesome rigging! Looks like I may need to spring for some of Chuck`s blocks when I get to that point.

Thank you marktiedens. Best investment you can make to improve your kit!

There aren't but two options: do it FAST, or do it RIGHT.

Current Project Build Log: Soleil Royal in 1/72. Kit by Artesania Latina.

Last finished projectsRoyal Ship Vasa 1628; French Vessel Royal Louis 1780. 1/90 Scale by Mamoli. 120 Cannons

Future projects already in my stash: Panart: San Felipe 1/75; OcCre: Santísima Trinidad 1/90;

Wish List: 1/64 Amati Victory, HMS Enterprise in 1/48 by CAF models.

So much to build, so little time!

Mouse redux. I just was not happy with the mouse I posted in previous photos. Here is the new mouse.

I also corrected the orientation, as this is how it looks in the real Vasa photos.

post-975-0-07208700-1381531511_thumb.jpg

Edited by Ulises Victoria

Last finished projectsRoyal Ship Vasa 1628; French Vessel Royal Louis 1780. 1/90 Scale by Mamoli. 120 Cannons

Future projects already in my stash: Panart: San Felipe 1/75; OcCre: Santísima Trinidad 1/90;

A small update with some rigging details.

post-975-0-24852300-1382029945_thumb.jpg

post-975-0-25671700-1382029956_thumb.jpg

post-975-0-63453700-1382029969_thumb.jpg

post-975-0-01806800-1382029998_thumb.jpg

post-975-0-14349000-1382030013_thumb.jpg

post-975-0-65201300-1382030022_thumb.jpg

Great rigging Ulises,

And your sister blocks also are very nice.

I was thinking how I have to make them, and know you are showing at to me  :D  :D  :D

Thanks !

animaatjes-sjors-94584.gif

Thank you Sjors and Kimberley.

Kim: I started like you, only younger. I was a kid when I started building ships, but there weren't things like this forum to learn things, so it was harder. I'm 65 now. Hang in there and soon you will be a master. :)

Fantastic rigging work.....not to mention the build itself.

Rob

Current build:

Build log: https://modelshipworld.com/topic/25382-glory-of-the-seas-medium-clipper-1869-by-rwiederrich-196

Finished build:

Build log: of 1/128th Great Republic: http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13740-great-republic-by-rwiederrich-four-masted-extreme-clipper-1853/#

Current build(On hold):

Build log: 1/96  Donald McKay:http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/4522-donald-mckay-medium-clipper-by-rwiederrich-1855/

Completed build:  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/gallery/album/475-196-cutty-sark-plastic/

The LORD said, "See, I have set (them) aside...with skills of all kinds, to make artistic designs for work in gold, silver, and bronze, to cut and set stones, to work in wood, and to engage in all kinds of crafts."

A few more photos. Some of them are a bit out of focus. I need a better camera.

These are of part of the standing rigging.

Thanks for watching. Really appreciate it. :)

post-975-0-57048400-1382538993_thumb.jpg

post-975-0-78977900-1382539002_thumb.jpg

post-975-0-42034300-1382539014_thumb.jpg

post-975-0-99257700-1382539026_thumb.jpg

post-975-0-67495600-1382539035_thumb.jpg

post-975-0-58980300-1382539045_thumb.jpg

post-975-0-54243800-1382539058_thumb.jpg

post-975-0-31826200-1382539066_thumb.jpg

post-975-0-97452300-1382539078_thumb.jpg

post-975-0-84039500-1382539087_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just admiring your rigging.Are you using Corel`s rigging plans or another source?My Sergal rig plans are totally wrong but I do have the Corel kit.I was thinking of using Corel`s rig plans.

Hello. I am using Corel's rigging plans, and was trying to complement with the book The Rigging of Ships in the Days of the Spritsail Topmast, 1600-1720 by R.C. Anderson. However, trying to use both sources proved to be really confusing, so at the moment I am following Corel's plans.

Thank you, Guy.

It is always best to use one plan.

problems with using 2 different plans can occure, I made a same mistake in some parts of my Vasa!! (bow part)

I have compared now partly the Corel plans with the sources I have till now, and the Corel plan looks ok, some minor differences, but I am also using this to avoid further problems.

Edited by JanV

Jan V. 

current build: Vasa-1628 Corel / Battle Station Mantua/Panart,

previous: Statenjacht / Cross section HMS Victory / diorama shipyard

Ulises,

I keep repeating myself.your rigging details and work are outstanding. Your rope making skills are excellent. congrats!

Do you have rigging plans for the running rigging, as well as what Corel provides for standing rigging.?

Regards,

Michael

Michael

Current buildSovereign of the Seas 1/78 Sergal

Under the table:

Golden Hind - C Mamoli    Oseberg - Billings 720 - Drakkar - Amati

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Santisima Trinidad cross section OcCre 1/90th

Gallery :    Santa Maria - Vasa

Ulises,

I keep repeating myself.your rigging details and work are outstanding. Your rope making skills are excellent. congrats!

Do you have rigging plans for the running rigging, as well as what Corel provides for standing rigging.?

Regards,

Michael

Thank you so much for your kind words. I forgot to mention in my previous post, that I own the Vasa Museum set of plans. I may use these for my running rigging. Not sure yet. Have to do some research. For what I have seen so far, Corel's plans are accurate, but I feel need to take a more detailed look. I'm almost done with the standing rigging. A couple of  lines and lastly the shrouds. I deviated from the instructions here and decided to place all center lines and stays first and at the very last the shrouds, as these will interfere when trying to work with rigging in the middle of the ship.

Thank you all for your encouragement. 

• 2 weeks later...

Update and some new photos.

I am revealing here also, my ultra secret, super-high-tech jig to make coils.  :D

I am starting to fix the shrouds, starting with the uppermost, by rigging the lanyards. Ratlines come after that (I'm preparing mentally myself for this task), and finally the running rigging. 

A few lower shrouds are already done as I had to finish them to fix some of the lines running from the stays.

Also you will see a lot of loose tangling lines. I will fix those later when I'm sure everything is as it has to be.

I can see now the light at the end of the tunnel. (Hope it's not the train :D )

Thanks for watching!

post-975-0-83903200-1395974806_thumb.jpgpost-975-0-38268700-1395974819_thumb.jpgpost-975-0-98986500-1395974831_thumb.jpgpost-975-0-48956800-1395974846_thumb.jpgpost-975-0-95728300-1395974859_thumb.jpgpost-975-0-87349000-1395974876_thumb.jpgpost-975-0-07571700-1395974888_thumb.jpgpost-975-0-01328600-1395974902_thumb.jpgpost-975-0-45594400-1395974916_thumb.jpgpost-975-0-01446600-1395974931_thumb.jpg

Ulises,

Thank you so much for reposting. Your build pictures are awesome. You are an accomplished photographer as well as an outstanding builder. I was carefully following your progress when the world ended and the site crashed. I look forward to your new posts!

Best

Jaxboat B)

Wow, wow and wow again !

That looks amazing Ulises !

Still one question.....your tops has to be in an angle ?????

Nice white rope by the way  :D  :D  :D  :D

Wow, wow and wow again !

That looks amazing Ulises !

Thank you!!!

Still one question.....your tops has to be in an angle ?????

Yes!  Main and Mizzen tops were slanted and Fore were level, according to Vasa Museum plans.

Nice white rope by the way  :D  :D  :D  :D

Thank you again! In fact that rope is not white.It just looks that way in the photo. Color is beige.

Hi Ulises

This is the first time I have looked through your log and I have to say great work!! the attention to detail and care you are putting into the rope work is fantastic.Balancing the tension of some of those lines is not easy but you have mastered it with great precision.

Kind Regards Nigel

Currently working on Royal Caroline

Hi Ulises

This is the first time I have looked through your log and I have to say great work!! the attention to detail and care you are putting into the rope work is fantastic.Balancing the tension of some of those lines is not easy but you have mastered it with great precision.

Kind Regards Nigel

Thanks a lot, Nigel. You put it in soft words. I say those thin lines were a royal PITA. :). When I saw in the plans how many of those there were, I thought about skipping them altogether. Glad I did not. They were a great learning experience and gave me a great sense of accomplishment. Thanks!!!

Ulises,

Nice update. You are my teacher for when I get to where you are, well I will try (:-)

Muy bien hecho mi amigo.

Michael

Michael

Current buildSovereign of the Seas 1/78 Sergal

Under the table:

Golden Hind - C Mamoli    Oseberg - Billings 720 - Drakkar - Amati

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Santisima Trinidad cross section OcCre 1/90th

Gallery :    Santa Maria - Vasa

Ulises,

Nice update. You are my teacher for when I get to where you are, well I will try (:-)

Muy bien hecho mi amigo.

Michael

And I'm sure I will say: "The student surpassed the teacher" :)

Michael: You have nothing to learn from me. What you are doing with your Vasa is just impressive!!!

Thank you!

Ulises,

You HAVE mastered those lines on the forestay.  Tricky bits they are and you succeeded admirably.  Congratulations.  

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

• 3 weeks later...

Ulises, your work is absolutely outstanding.  I love the improved rigging line and blocks.  That extra bit of enhanced detail really sets a model apart from a "by the kit" model.  I'll have to look into improving those components for my next builds.

I really like your furled sails.  Just out of curiosity, did you add clews to the sails?  A number of modelers don't add them, but a few I've seen do.  I ended up adding clews to my Badger sails (in large part because I was wondering how you would otherwise run the clew lines), but I was sorta guessing on how to do it.

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

Thank you all. Your words are very encouraging. I'm almost done with the standing rigging. Working on shrouds and ratlines with about 80% of advance. Will load some more photos soon :)

Mike: No clews in my sails this time. But after seeing your post on how you do your sails I will surely include them in my next build.