Skipjack by michael mott - 1/8th scale - SMALL - 19 foot open launch

5 hours ago, michael mott said:

scrap box has a few more items to add to its collections

Michael - scrap box's wouldn't be so useful if it wasn't for experiments.

Keith

Current Build:-

Cangarda (Steam Yacht) - Scale 1:24

Previous Builds:-

Schooner Germania (Nova) - Scale 1:36

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/19848-schooner-germania-nova-by-keithaug-scale-136-1908-2011/

Schooner Altair by KeithAug - Scale 1:32 - 1931

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/12515-schooner-altair-by-keithaug-scale-132-1931/?p=378702

J Class Endeavour by KeithAug - Amati - Scale 1:35 - 1989 after restoration.

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/10752-j-class-endeavour-by-keithaug-amati-scale-135-1989-after-restoration/?p=325029

Other Topics

Nautical Adventures

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13727-nautical-adventures/?p=422846

Reminds me of that commercial where the couple presents a beautiful Kohler faucet to the architect and says "now build us a house around it". 

Greg

website
Admiralty Models

moderator Echo Cross-section build
Admiralty Models Cross-section Build

Finished build
Pegasus, 1776, cross-section

Current build
Speedwell, 1752

If you ever find yourself a little short of cash, you could always crank out a few Faberge eggs to get you through. The lantern would be a stand alone model if I made it ( as if I could ). What do you think the smallest scale you could possibly make something like the lantern at that level of detail would be?

We doan need no stinking 3D printers .....

Kurt

Member: Ship Model Society of New Jersey

8 hours ago, cog said:

It seems to me you just wanted to start with the fun part.

Carl there is some truth to that. It was a way to revisit the whole project.

7 hours ago, Bedford said:

the lamp probably looks in better condition than most real ones would by now

Steve yes I looked at quite a few on the internet and a lot of them were pretty sad looking.

2 hours ago, dvm27 said:

the couple presents a beautiful Kohler faucet to the architect and says "now build us a house around it".

I have never seen that commercial Greg but then I don't watch much TV I have no time left in the day for it.

1 hour ago, Kurt Johnson said:

What do you think the smallest scale you could possibly make something like the lantern at that level of detail would be?

Hmmm..... for me, I could probably do something a little smaller, but this is crude compared to a ladies Swiss watch, now those guys who make those could do something that would be astonishing! Some of the model railway stuff is quite remarkable too, and a friend of mine Dave who's name I won't mention does those amazing tiny steel models that are photo etched, that you almost need a microscope to put together, and who just started a Bluenose model. 

Thanks for all the visits and for the fine compliments and encouragements I do appreciate them.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

16 hours ago, michael mott said:

Thank you Gentlemen, I am not sure why I did that considering some years ago I did an exhibit on the shipping disaster that talked about the collision in the St Laurence Seaway about the Empress of Ireland that resulted in the loss of many lives. I made a mock bridge with the wheel and the lights in order for the visitors to understand how the lights and signals worked.

Michael 

So here is a dumb question; when did the convention of red and green lights come into international usage?

Mark

37 minutes ago, SJSoane said:

when did the convention of red and green lights come into international usage?

I had a look and though that the members of this forum would enjoy this set of answers. over to you Andy.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Thanks for the likes and compliments.

In examining the keel, stem and stern, I noticed a rather nasty kink has developed since I made it a few years ago. So I removed the centre section between the stem and stern, and replaced it today.

IMG_6006x1024.thumb.jpg.f1d2551bff04c9ca9133e85bf755ae06.jpg

IMG_6007x1024.thumb.jpg.f1b3934b9e38e88d4509049725eea97c.jpg

I noticed it when I was about to finish the rebate transition from the keel to the stem.

Michael

This drawing shows the difference in the plan of the cockpit.

291077479_modificationtocoamingfeb271019x1024.jpg.86cac5c8d55f72deaeb89fffb97cff00.jpg

The reason for needing to make these changes is because I am going to fit the floor timbers to the keel before doing the planking. I will be able fair them to match the bulkhead stations and to get the engine mountings sorted out without any obstructions. once that is done then I will add the stringers to the bulkhead then match the frames to the stingers then beginning at the garboard plank it with 3/64th yellow cedar. removing the stringers as I continue the planking up to the sheer strake.There are 11 planks.

This shot of the floors during the earlier restoration gives me a clear indication of what the interior framing looked like.

2146643718_restorationphoto.JPG.13f536205c14bcfd2d7887f8c0103001.JPG

So before anyone points out that the floor timbers are sitting on top of the ceiling boards, I know! I just spotted that. I'm thinking about it, and I am reshaping the bottom of the hull on drawings to better reflect, the photograph. Two steps forward and one step back....and I am having fun. Plotting the floor boards onto the profiles gave me my first clue that the bottom was not quite right.

Michael

Edited by michael mott
add text

I had posted an update to this build yesterday in the Bristol Cutter log by mistake I deleted it and am re-posting the content here where it belongs.

I have re-attached the top plate to the keel and begun carving the recess for the planks in the stem and keel. there are 11 planks.

IMG_6010x1024.thumb.jpg.a1281171ebb8bf2e632e4a0f56fef63b.jpg

IMG_6011x1024.thumb.jpg.c12d14b34f2e86a38ac1c30bf541483a.jpg

IMG_6015x1024.thumb.jpg.7a7e36257b11ced8ab70ef6fc1f06d52.jpg

Michael

Continuing with trying to make the interior dimensions fit properly in all three views following the numbers that roger sent a few years back I have finally got them to match but it entailed rotating the whole sheer line 1 degree using the tip of the bow as the center of rotation. By doing this the floors begin to fit properly into the profile view of the ribs. one of the things that kept tripping me up was the line of the seats is flat and not curved to follow the sheer as I had originally drawn it. I will need to add a short section to the stern post, this will then cause all the interior dimensions to fit. The red lines are the new positions of the coaming opening length and the raised sheer line at the stern.

816311712_sectioncomparisonx1024.jpg.7b636c9283250fd9c5b59852d3113715.jpg

It actually gives the elevation a better proportion in my opinion. and this also fit with rotating the engine to match the photos which aligned it up with the prop-shaft better.

I can see why some people like to freelance, it is much more challenging working to build a representation of an existing boat where there are no drawings in existence that I have been able to find to date. It has certainly been very helpful to have the Roger be able to measure things for me like these in the next picture

817247295_dimensionofinteriorqueryx1024.thumb.jpg.4f93c537f7fa43027227ff1a39aa142d.jpg

B

bow 8 1/2"

mid-ship 26"

stern 14"

C

bow 11"

mid-ship 11 1/2" Note 74" from bow end moving toward stern the floor steps up 2 1/2" becoming 9" to the seat.

Stern 7"

E

bow 7 1/2"

mid-ship 5"

stern 10"

F

bow 9"

mid-ship 12 1/2"

stern 121/2"

D is an air whistle.

Michael

Edited by michael mott
spelling

19 minutes ago, Kurt Johnson said:

I never knew there where hand pumped air whistles

Modern yachts generally have compressed air horns - powered by a disposable air canister. I can confirm they are very loud - particularly when used to raise a weary watch crew on a night sail.

Michael - the wheel looks like a fun little job!

Keith

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/19848-schooner-germania-nova-by-keithaug-scale-136-1908-2011/

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/12515-schooner-altair-by-keithaug-scale-132-1931/?p=378702

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/10752-j-class-endeavour-by-keithaug-amati-scale-135-1989-after-restoration/?p=325029

Other Topics

Nautical Adventures

31 minutes ago, Kurt Johnson said:

I never knew there where hand pumped air whistles.

Kurt I do have the dimensions of this one.

1 hour ago, druxey said:

Your re-working of the sheer and profile looks  good.

Druxey, thanks it really took a long time to realize the condition that was causing the trouble fitting the floors.

9 minutes ago, KeithAug said:

the wheel looks like a fun little job!

Keith, yes a bronze frame with hardwood sleeved handles will make a nice feature there are two of them there is one on the starboard side at the sern as well

136364.jpg.b56907c4ba761e8dd957e3adb7735737.jpg

You can also see why I need to be able to make the tufted cushions in leather.

Michael

Ah! and an engine starting handle - more fun.

Keith

Other Topics

Nautical Adventures

2 hours ago, druxey said:

Do the cushions for the model need to be of leather? I imagine carving them might give a very satisfactory result. 

Hi Druxey, they don't need to made of leather, in the same way that the carved decoration on a period ship doesn't need to carved in Boxwood. I could make them out of clay the same way that Doris uses it. I know that I can make them out of leather in the same way that I made this seat out of leather.

IMG_6798x800.jpg.ac8b17fc6295367ac5bfb5b3039fcd45.jpg

IMG_6799x800.jpg.7f64390c8769f793091453e905de7a50.jpg

IMG_6803x800.jpg.700462c8a87360f49979dfef86a38289.jpg

It is something that I want to do.

Michael

Keith, I used to own a boat and those air horns are required as part of the safety equipment by the US Coast Guard. I know very well how loud the are. Especially if it’s done right next to you! Fortunately I never had to use one in an emergency. I never though of a hand pumped one though, do you have to pump them several times to build up enough pressure?

Member: Ship Model Society of New Jersey

2 hours ago, druxey said:

Looks very good, I can't deny. I should have remembered that you've mastered every material under the sun!

I wish! Thank you for you kindness.

Kurt yes Skipjack has a canopy

scan0004x800.jpg.46aa806c6f1cf231cf0983be9d138003.jpg

2022721141_photo1dyment.thumb.JPG.d9e87d3ccf07b8874dce335f33e8e24a.JPG

136363x1024.thumb.jpg.31c201b575be20a7e78c324d9619b4d1.jpg

Now that I am satisfied with the shape of the lines I can add the canopy to the drawings. As a diversion Judy and I just watched the movie "Infinity" about the genius who proved  "partition" in mathematics. A beautiful movie.

Michael

I am not sure about the flag.

A lot of work on the drawing is taking place at the moment.

Here is a section at rib 5 which is at the front of the cockpit'

1434363921_rib5section.thumb.jpg.1e01b789a7acba5f9b948837724c51c8.jpg

and a PDF of the profiles

Body lines march 4 2019.pdf

Back to the drawing board.

Michael

The drawing is looking good, but some don't seem to be quite right just yet - eg number 5 looks good towards the lower part but dips in towards the top, compared to 4 & 6. Visually, it could help to see the pattern if you can temporarily 'turn off' the inner line for each rib.

Are you setting up any of the horizontal hull lines at the same time?

Hi Mark

Thanks I see what you are saying and thanks for spotting that. I have been working back and forth from the plan to the profiles and in the beginning I worked a lot with the waterlines. I shall revisit the issue and clean it up.

I have found this work to be very time consuming but in the end it will have all been worth it I feel.

Michael

Beautiful work on this Launch Michael.  The lantern is wonderful and your engine is true craftsmanship to say the least.  Thanks for sharing your work methods, approach and techniques.

Gary 

Current Build   Pelican Eastern-Rig Dragger  

Completed Scratch Builds

Rangeley Guide Boat   New England Stonington Dragger   1940 Auto Repair Shop   Mack FK Shadowbox